Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I was just talking about middle income suburbs that have a high amount of racial diversity. South of chicago there are a number of middle income suburbs closer to chicago that are predominantly black but not nearly as racially diverse as flossmoor. Most people that I know who live in the city (even on the southside), consider flossmoor to be very far out also. Which leads me to my point of talking about the main reason why most of the middle income suburbs in the collar counties have little to no racial diversity. Middle income minorities who choose to move to the suburbs do put a much heavier premium on proximity to chicago. And not just how far the commute is to downtown chicago or the northside.
Makes sense. I get what you're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
this is comming from someone with a blck n hispanic roomate so I dnt hate anyone bc color if skin religion etc.
This means nothing about your overall perception of black and Hispanic people. It just means you view your "black n hispanic" roommate positively. By the way, I can tell how excellent your schools must have been, growing up in a lily white community.

Last edited by urza216; 11-01-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Yeah, I just think there is a difference of opinion that some whites have (not all whites) when it comes to the desirability of the collar county suburban regions. Most middle income minorities, particularly blacks just see them as being too damm far out there. Considering there are at least a couple dozen good neighborhoods much closer in or within the city. Flossmoor or matteson is basically the cutoff point when it comes to desirable proximity. And that's even stretching it too far for a lot of people.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
What about Zion/Benton Township? Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Maybe parts of Downers Grove? Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Lombard might work: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Glen Ellyn: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Schaumburg: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Oak Forest: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Just enter in a community and it will give school demographics. You can check school rankings and comments here: Illinois schools - IL elementary, middle and high school information

Illinois schools - IL elementary, middle and high school information

Illinois schools - IL elementary, middle and high school information

Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the nicer suburbs that have a high amount of racial diversity. South of chicago there are a number of middle income suburbs closer to chicago that are predominantly black but not nearly as racially diverse as flossmoor. Most people that I know who live in the city (even on the southside), consider flossmoor to be very far out also. Which leads me to my point of talking about the main reason why most of the middle income suburbs in the collar counties have little to no racial diversity. Middle income minorities who choose to move to the suburbs do put a much heavier premium on proximity to chicago. And not just how far the commute takes to get to downtown chicago. As if the rest of chicago doesn't even exist.
Allen, I wonder when you replied to my comment. I changed my first paragraph when I re-read you original comment. No, not everyone works in dowtnown Chicago. Far from it. And yeah, a lot of people work on the south side. And it would make sense to work live in the south suburbs if you worked on the south side.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Nearby Midlothian seems to work: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Allen, I wonder when you replied to my comment. I changed my first paragraph when I re-read you original comment. No, not everyone works in dowtnown Chicago. Far from it. And yeah, a lot of people work on the south side. And it would make sense to work live in the south suburbs if you worked on the south side.
I was just saying in general not about your comment. But, I guess a lot of people have all of there social connections in the suburbs and for them it's perfectly fine living in the collar counties. Too me there is just a cutoff point of how far is too far, and I would not be willing to move any further out than where I live now. I like being able to easily drive over to a friend's house in chatham or south shore to have a beer and watch a game. I still even get my haircut on the southside. I know more people living in the city then the suburbs. It's no big deal driving there just on a regular social level from where I am at.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Welcome back! :)

Quote:
I was just saying in general not about your comment. But, I guess a lot of people have all of there social connections in the suburbs and for them it's perfectly fine living in the collar counties. Too me there is just a cutoff point of how far is too far, and I would not be willing to move any further out than where I live now. I like being able to easily drive over to a friend's house in chatham or south shore to have a beer and watch a game. I still even get my haircut on the southside. I know more people living in the city then the suburbs. It's no big deal driving there just on a regular social level from where I am at.
Well, since this is the internet we can all twist our life story and put on a mask like every day is Halloween. Weren't you raised in Homewood, stayed in Humbdolt Park and then bought a house in Olympia Fields were you now reside? I can understand family connections but how do you have so many social connections to the south side of the city? Did you start getting your hair cut on the south side when you lived on the west side? And didn't you meet your fiance/baby mama/whatever at a bar in Lincoln Park? Somehow she's in her "early twenties" but your kid is about five years old and starting grade school.. the kid you had with a girl you met at a bar in Lincoln Park? I'm not saying you don't know a bunch of people who live on the south side of Chicago. I'm just not buying this new City Allen From the South Side. And remember, this skepticism is coming from someone who really does give too much information about himself on City-Data sometimes.

And btw, I'm still waiting to hear back from about that barbecue joint you were talking about in the Heights.

Last edited by urza216; 11-01-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, since this is the internet we can all twist our life story and put on a mask like every day is Halloween. Weren't you raised in Homewood, stayed in Humbdolt Park and then bought a house in Olympia Fields were you now reside? How do you have so many connections to the south side of the city? Did you start getting your hair cut on the south side when you lived on the west side of the city? And didn't you meet your fiance/baby mama/whatever at a bar in Lincoln Park? Somehow she's in her "early twenties" but your kid is about five years old and starting grade school.. the kid you had with a girl you met at a bar in Lincoln Park? I'm not saying you don't know a bunch of people who live on the south side of Chicago. I'm just not buying this new City Allen From the South Side. And remember, this skepticism is coming from someone who really does give too much information about himself on City-Data sometimes.

And Allen, I'm still waiting to hear back from about that barbecue joint you were talking about in the Heights.
I think that one big difference between whites and blacks when it comes to chicago. Is most whites have no connection at all to the southside. White people are like why in the heck would anyone hangout on the southside? While blacks hang out on the southside all the time like it's no big deal. Friends, family, or whatever. I know plenty of blacks who even grew up in flossmoor and homewood who now live on the southside. The southside divide is completely racial and that's another one of those things that seems totally odd, that someone can live south of chicago and not be on the south side fairly regularly. And I've been getting my hair cut at the same shop for like 20 years since like high school man. Although I grew up in the burbs altleast half the people I know live in the city. Including even half the people I grew up with who used to live in the burbs now live in the city.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-01-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I think that one big difference between whites and blacks when it comes to chicago. Is most whites have no connection at all to the southside. White people are like why in the heck would anyone hangout on the southside? While blacks hang out on the southside all the time like it's no big deal. Friends, family, or whatever. I know blacks who even grew up in flossmoor who now live on the southside. The southside divide is completely racial and that's another one of those that seems totally odd that some can live south of chicago and not be on the south side fairly regularly. I've been getting my hair cut at the same shop for like 20 years since like high school man. Although I grew up in the burbs altleast half the people I know live in the city. Including even half the people I grew up with in the burbs now live in the city. That might be another one of those things. Most blacks who grow up in the burbs end up wanting to move to the city.
No, maybe YOU aren't but "black people" in the suburbs can be like that too. Go tell RFR69 about black people. I'm sure he's more interested in your generalizations than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs