U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,327 times

Advertisements

Wow, I haven't checked this in a long time because I've been so busy. Thanks for the input for everyone that gave it. I wasn't meaning to make a whole ordeal about this topic, but reading different POVs is very interesting.

To answer what many people have asked about what I consider "diverse", I believe diversity is a mix of cultures, ethnicities, races, religions, sexual orientations, etc is ideal. However, I'm not blind to the fact that it is hard to come by, as we do not live in a "pluralistic" society.

I also realize that the way you raise your children aids greatly to how they will view the world and other peoples' differences. But, I do believe that living in a place where that diversity is displayed helps too.

Whoever gave the idea of Oak Park is great. My son's uncle (my brother) is gay and has been with his partner for 4 years. It would be great to live somewhere that has a wider gay population as well. I know that living somewhere more "diverse" won't alleviate all racists, homophobic people, etc. and certainly won't stop some kids from saying slurs in school and on the playground. However, I want my son to grow up to know Black kids, Latino kids, Asian kids, and kids with two daddies or mommies as being not all that different from him.

My views may differ from a lot of you on those aspects, but that's okay with me.

Now I'm gonna try to read this whole thread in its entirety, since I only caught bits and pieces.

The places that were named that caught my eye and began some research:
Bolingbrook, Oak Park, Olympia Fields, Matteson, Homewood, and some parts of Oak Forest. There may be more, I'm still looking
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,327 times
Apologizing if there are a lot of typos in that last post! I'm too tired to fix them!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,366,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandre31 View Post
The places that were named that caught my eye and began some research:
Bolingbrook, Oak Park, Olympia Fields, Matteson, Homewood, and some parts of Oak Forest. There may be more, I'm still looking
Try looking into Park Forest and Lansing maybe, too.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,420,300 times
Urza216, you're wasting your energy, and logic on rfr69. He/she is obviously a racist troll who's only looking to express and justify his/her racist ideology through illogical and ignorant comparisons. you could post a hundred links to incidents where white people show animalistic behaviors and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to rfr69. He/she has obviously made up his/her mind in terms of racial classifications. I'm still waiting on his/her study of head measurements.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 7,057,132 times
Quote:
Northwest Indiana;21621110]In my opinion, I honestly think that the presence of Blacks in Tinley/Orland is more so due to proximity to predominantly Black areas more-so than it being "more welcoming".
That's one reason, but not only for that reason. I say that because the south burbs have had a signficant black presence for at least 3 decades now and this influx of black shoppers to Orland Square is fairly recent, like starting in 07' or 08'. I can remember in the early 00s, there were few black shoppers there. The first thing I bought at Orland during that time was MJ's high school jersey. I can remember most of the shoes at either Champs or Footlocker were of the Sketchers and New Balance types- catering to the demographic at the time. Fastfoward to 2011, Orland Square is as diverse as it has ever been and noticeably, some of the retail has changed too. I think the fashion transition from wearing baggy pants made by an urban line to wearing levis skinny and straight jeans, A&F, Hollister, Hot Topic, Polo, and Aeropstale plays a very signficant role in the influx of blacks(especially the youth and 18-24 crowd) shopping at Orland. River Oaks lacks most of these accessories and Orland is the closest mall to get them. In addition, Orland Square has an Apple store,the only one I'm aware of in the southland.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-12-2011 at 08:54 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
In addition, Orland Square has an Apple store, only one I'm aware of in the southland.
Orland Park has a(n) ____________, only one I'm aware of in the southland.

Fill in the blank.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM

829 posts, read 1,736,162 times
Orland square and River oaks are pretty much the regional shopping areas. More than a third of the shoppers within south/southwest chicago suburban regions are black. You really can't have a vibrant up market retail shopping location in this region without black shoppers who make up a large chunk of the economic demographic that the retailers count on to spend money.

And this goes vice versa. You really can't maintain a vibrant up market retail shopping area in the south suburban region without a large percentage of white shoppers because they make up a large demographic of the shoppers that retailers count on attracting. This has been the biggest issue with attracting retail to middle income and even affluent areas with large black populations within the region. Will whites from that same economic demographic within the area shop there? Or would they feel more comfortable just making the drive to orland and shop in a mostly white setting. The thing is retailers know that if they locate stores in predominantly white neighborhoods that are located in close proximity to neighborhoods of the other demographics that they also need to attract to get as close to 100 percent of the regional market as possible. They have a better chance of attracting all demographics that they wanted to cash in on by locating in the predominantly white neighborhood . The argument that retailers have for not placing stores in middle and higher income racially mixed or largely minority neighborhoods is much of the white demographics within the region will choose not to shop there so you will end up only capturing part of the economic demographic that you need to making it viable. River oaks has an easier time attracting and retaining retailers even though it is not in the highest income neighborhood, because of it's surrounding area demographic does not require it to need to attract a large percentage of white shoppers to be economically viable.

Although, some small progress has been made with spreading the retail out in the southern suburbs. Homewood has some decent retail. Matteson has maintained some new retail. A Ross Dress 4 Less clothing store just opened up in matteson last month, at the same exact time they opened a store up in orland park. And it appears there is something under construction along lincoln Hwy and cicero ave right next to the applebee's which looks like a new retail building being built.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-13-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 PM

Interesting theory about why Lincoln Mall is the way it is, Allen.

River Oaks is in an area with a higher concentration of people. So is Orland Square. River Oaks is surrounded by some much more rough areas than most of what is around Lincoln Mall (lower on the economic scale). It does well in spite of higher amounts of poverty and less white people. I don't think race or even class is good enough to blame why Lincoln Mall is the way it is.

River Oaks is out east though. And more in competition with Southlake than Orland Square.

Last edited by urza216; 11-13-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Matteson has maintained some new retail.
I would hope so! Matteson is strip mall suburbia with all the chains.. If it stayed stagnant, this would be a very bad thing.

Matteson needs a Steak And Shake. And a Barnes And Noble.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 PM

3,376 posts, read 7,057,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Orland Park has a(n) ____________, only one I'm aware of in the southland.

Fill in the blank.
lol Hey what can I say Orland has a lot of retail. And since that Borders in Matteson is gone, everyone over east who wants to buy a book has to flock to Barnes & Nobles, which is pretty big. In fact, that whole mini mall section is massive, every store has two floors. The only disappointment, and ironic as it is, I have with Orland shopping area is there isn't an Fye or anything like it around. How is it that some of the clothing stores play music, yet there isn't music store to get the music in the vicinity.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-14-2011 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or