U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,401,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
No, I wouldn't want a private school.

I'd rather have Wheeling high school than many others, but compared to the surrounding high schools, Wheeling is not as good.
It seems to me like you're trying to get CubSoxFan to agree with you by only replying with statements you suspect he already agrees with. But can you actually answer his question now? What IS IT that makes Wheeling High School a bad school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 PM

504 posts, read 584,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
It seems to me like you're trying to get CubSoxFan to agree with you by only replying with statements you suspect he already agrees with. But can you actually answer his question now? What IS IT that makes Wheeling High School a bad school?
I feel like some people here feel like if every single child isn't scoring a 36 on their ACT's in a high school that it's a run-down horrible dump...

Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,117,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
No, I wouldn't want a private school.

I'd rather have Wheeling high school than many others, but compared to the surrounding high schools, Wheeling is not as good.
I guess you don't live around here and haven't researched Wheeling HS. My research shows it IS as good as surrounding high schools like Hersey, Buffalo Grove and Prospect.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:26 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,685,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

Put me in a white bubble like new lennox or naperville anyday. I can travel to the city or a surrounding burb when im feeling diverse.
Naperville is not a "white bubble". There's a significant Asian population there. To the OP, Oak Park is diverse and reasonably safe.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,685,416 times
Evanston also gets my vote as meeting the OP's criteria of a "diverse and low crime rate suburb (relative to national average)".

Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM

44 posts, read 136,396 times
You would be a perfect fit for Galewood. While not a suburb, it is like one. We are just north of Oak Park and a diverse place. Good Luck to you.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I was just saying in general not about your comment. But, I guess a lot of people have all of there social connections in the suburbs and for them it's perfectly fine living in the collar counties. Too me there is just a cutoff point of how far is too far, and I would not be willing to move any further out than where I live now. I like being able to easily drive over to a friend's house in chatham or south shore to have a beer and watch a game. I still even get my haircut on the southside. I know more people living in the city then the suburbs. It's no big deal driving there just on a regular social level from where I am at.
Have a beer and watch the game? Oh, man. You can't do that.... anywhere.

Quote:
I think that one big difference between whites and blacks when it comes to chicago. Is most whites have no connection at all to the southside.
Umm.. What? If white people have no connection to the south side did how did they end up living in the south and southwest suburbs? Magic?

Quote:
White people are like why in the heck would anyone hangout on the southside? While blacks hang out on the southside all the time like it's no big deal. Friends, family, or whatever. I know plenty of blacks who even grew up in flossmoor and homewood who now live on the southside. The southside divide is completely racial and that's another one of those things that seems totally odd, that someone can live south of chicago and not be on the south side fairly regularly. And I've been getting my hair cut at the same shop for like 20 years since like high school man. Although I grew up in the burbs altleast half the people I know live in the city. Including even half the people I grew up with who used to live in the burbs now live in the city.
No, Allen. There are black people that ask this question too. Because of the perception that the south side is boring.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 PM

382 posts, read 655,116 times
Urza, I will have to send you all my photos of downtown Naperville. It is most definately racially diverse. Don't forget that people From all the western burbs hang out in Naperville because of the large downtown area. Also, how did "diversity" all of a sudden mean only white and black people living together?? How about gay, Asian, economic diversity, ethnic diversity (yes white people have different ethnic cultures too ya know).

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
Urza, I will have to send you all my photos of downtown Naperville. It is most definately racially diverse. Don't forget that people From all the western burbs hang out in Naperville because of the large downtown area. Also, how did "diversity" all of a sudden mean only white and black people living together?? How about gay, Asian, economic diversity, ethnic diversity (yes white people have different ethnic cultures too ya know).
What I want to know is when I became the whipping boy for posts like this?

There are only gonna be so many people living in one neighborhood. That's the biggest problem with the shangra la you are seeking. Pointing out groups that aren't prevalent in a diverse area is just a weak excuse.

The south suburbs have a significant Hispanic popluation too. People on this forum just don't talk about it for some reason. Chicago Heights (population: less than 50,000) has whites, blacks, Hispanics, a middle class, an upper middle class and poor people.

Gay people are everywhere. There are just certain areas where it's less on the down low. And certain areas where gays move to in numbers to seek acceptance and/or a gay scene where they don't feel alone.

Last edited by urza216; 07-13-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,244,869 times
Naperville is a large suburb approaching 150,000 population that is located in Will and DuPage Counties. White, Indian, Chinese, Black, Hispanic, and other persons, call it home. It is very well regarded for it's schools. To the best of my knowledge it is a nice place to live, work and attend school.

Generally speaking, I personally do not view demographics as a whole, or that it indicates how diverse and integrated any community is. I think diversity is found: in city parks and what is offered to residents at low or no cost, in the dissimilar places of worship, and to a lesser degree in the variety of restaurants. To me One of This and One of That carefully placed throughout a large and growing community does not diversity make. That races naturally segregate does not seem to be helpful in most communities.

Demographics can explain the racial balance. 0.4%, 2.1% or even 10% is not very diverse in a city of one million, but it might be diverse in a town of, say, 10,000. If one is looking for a diverse community that is somewhat blended research and review is a good thing to undertake before one moves. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or