Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM

18 posts, read 56,850 times

Advertisements

That makes me feel a little better. : ) How do YOU feel the schools are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 AM

That makes me feel a little better. How do YOU feel the schools are there?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 AM

405 posts, read 989,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Addison is heaven compared to any REAL crime ridden suburb.

Don't listen to these sheltered pansies. Addison is fine.
I'll be honest, it's all about perspectives. Don't think the OP has the same mentality as you and wouldn't assume the same. Then again, maybe he or she will.

Chill...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,870,212 times
I am proud to be a pansy. To put it another way, Addison is a C list suburb in dupage county which has many A and B suburbs such as Elmhurst, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Naperville, Hinsdale, etc. I think all of these have better school districts and more and better amenities. Admittedly many of these may be beyond your budget. But if you can afford it you would be better off to look into these communities as I believe they offer a better environment and lifestyle. As I said the exception would be if you needed to be in Addison for a particular reason such as job proximity or family. If not, why settle for something when you can get better. No its not ghetto, or really bad its just blah. by the way I think Elk Grove Village is a nicer town than Addison.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,031,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
I agree with ToriaT. Having been in Addison a billion times, and knowing many people from there, I would say it's decent, but I wouldn't move there. Why?

• Addison Trail High School is, frankly, trash (though nicely renovated)
  • There are pockets of "bad" that spill over to other areas (petty crime)*
  • There are better neighborhoods in the immediate vicinity

* - While petty crime is common everywhere, I feel this is accentuated in Addison due to the large wealth disparity within the town, which has high-income housing with low-income housing (which is where the crime concentrates). Let's face it, if you're buying a house in Addison for a tidy sum, you should not expect this happening in your very own town on a semi-consistent basis. (off the top of my head: shooting in Portillo's, homeless man lying in the middle of Army Trail passed out with numerous cops around him, drug dealing near North Ave and behind Jewel, increasing pregnancy rates at ATHS)
The main problem, however, can be seen in the public school there, which by the time my friends had left (mid-2000s) was heading toward a lower level than previously maintained (academics, pregnancies, drugs, and so forth).

However, please do not think Addison is a ghetto, it's decent and livable.
I just would not live there, and would not recommend it either. I feel there are better suburbs that neighbor it that, in the long-run, you will appreciate more.
Good post. Yes, Addison is fine, but it is probably I would say probably has more crime issues than anywhere else in DuPage County.

I even think it has more crime problems than even Bensenville or West Chicago, which many seem to consider the least desirable DuPage County suburbs.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,552,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Addison is heaven compared to any REAL crime ridden suburb.

Don't listen to these sheltered pansies. Addison is fine.
Agreed.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM

You're all helping immensely. Thank you.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 AM

So after a lot of consideration we've decided not to move to Addison. We're looking at towns like Elk Grove Village and Elmhurst. Are there other towns like these that have great schools and are safe that we should be thinking of?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
Elmhurst is quite nice, a really wide range of housing, good schools, few areas with any serious negatives.

EGV does not have the nice downtown and good train service of Elmhurst, but depending on where you work / live might be a good option.

There are some towns between that are worth giving some thought to -- Wooddale and Itasca spring to mind.

West of Elmhurst lie Villa Park and Lombard -- both are also on the UP-W line, have traditional downtowns and some nice pluses w/o the negatives of the Addison. Prices are generally more affordable than Elmhurst, schools are a notch down.

Further west along the same train line Glen Ellyn is mostly pricer than Elmhurst, Wheaton probably is less so.

North of EGV Mt Prospect and Arlington Heights are similar to Elmhurst.

What criteria are using to set your commute radius?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM

Max I'd like to keep it within 40 min of northbrook. We need great schools and safety in the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs