U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 AM

66 posts, read 111,432 times

Advertisements

I've never lived in the Chicago area before. Visited plenty and love it. Also have family in the suburbs and will be relocating for my job sometime between now and next June. Probably around April. Just some questions about living there.

I'll be working in Elgin and upon some research have found that the Schaumburg/Roselle/Hoffman Estates area probably suits us best. Not too far from work, not too far from the city. I LOVE being able to go into the city but don't want to live in it, especially working that far out. So this area seems the best. But I have a few questions about living in this area. The biggest one is transit.

From what I've seen, my best bet to get to work will be Metra. I can buy a monthly pass for 56.00. Which is great. Me and my fiancee will only have one car so that helps. But it'll only get me within about 2 miles. 1.9 miles if I get off at the Elgin station and 1.6 if I get off at Big Timber station. That's walkable... but in the winter its not a fun walk. I walk about .8 miles after I get off the bus here but then, I live in Atlanta, its warm. I can then get a Pace bus to work or at least within a 3 or 4 minute walk of it after that which would work but then I have to add an 86.00 a month pass for the Pace bus/CTA too. Is there an easier option or is that probably my best bet? Even spending 142 a month is cheaper than driving too and from work but its more than I pay here for my pass in Atlanta. Just curious if there's a better option.

Also, from out in the Schaumburg area, would I need Metra and CTA to get into the city? Just curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM

185 posts, read 504,614 times
You can purchase a Metra/Pace PlusBus sticker with your Metra monthly pass for $30. This has to be purchased from Metra at the same time you buy your monthly pass. It is good for unlimited rides on Pace buses during the same month as your Metra monthly pass. It is not good on the CTA. Unless you are planning on riding the CTA daily, it does not make sense to purchase the $86 monthly pass.
Tickets

Metra will take you all the way into the city.
You would need the CTA if you were going somewhere that was not within walking distance of the Metra station.

The Metra Milwaukee District West Line runs from Schaumburg to Union Station (with several additional stations on Chicago's west side). Union Station is a bit west of the Loop.

Be sure to check the schedules. It sounds like you will be going in the reverse-rush direction. Service in the reverse-rush direction is a little sparse. If you need weekend service, it is even worse.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,141,354 times
I really would NOT count on even 0.2 miles being walkable in a place like Elgin. The things that make it possible to walk 10x that inside Chicago just are not a "given" that far out. There are basically no sidewalks from the Big Timber station to anything other than the parking lot. It is flat out dangerous to be walking on an paved shoulder with short daylight hours before and after work. If that shoulder is covered in ice or even salt you could literally trip right into the path of oncoming traffic.While Elgin itself mostly has sidewalks, they do not extend to all parts of town, nor are they maintained like those in say the heart of Chicago's Loop. If you tromp through some goose poop that is not the worst thing in the world, but paying $142/mo and ending up semi-stranded when snow piles up is not going to impress your employer...

If the employer does not have some sort of transit /shared ride program I think you need to assume that some kind of car is a necessity.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,993,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I really would NOT count on even 0.2 miles being walkable in a place like Elgin. The things that make it possible to walk 10x that inside Chicago just are not a "given" that far out. There are basically no sidewalks from the Big Timber station to anything other than the parking lot. It is flat out dangerous to be walking on an paved shoulder with short daylight hours before and after work. If that shoulder is covered in ice or even salt you could literally trip right into the path of oncoming traffic.While Elgin itself mostly has sidewalks, they do not extend to all parts of town, nor are they maintained like those in say the heart of Chicago's Loop. If you tromp through some goose poop that is not the worst thing in the world, but paying $142/mo and ending up semi-stranded when snow piles up is not going to impress your employer...

If the employer does not have some sort of transit /shared ride program I think you need to assume that some kind of car is a necessity.
Agree very strongly. I would study google maps very carefully to see if your walking route has sidewalks. Even if there are sidewalks they may or may not be shoveled after heavy snow storms. Assuming that you will have a car, its still may make financial sense to mostly rely on transit but drive on the occasional days when snow is excessive (if sidewalks are unpassible.)

Last edited by oakparkdude; 11-03-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 PM

I will have a car. One for two people who will both be working. I won't be able to take it to work and we can't afford a second one. So I WILL be taking transit. I can get the bus there after I get off of METRA if need be but I do kind of prefer to walk. Still, being able to get the Pace thing for the METRA is a very useful thing. I've walked 5 miles to work in places with no sidewalks plenty of times, in Michigan at that so I'm used to the midwest winters. That won't be a huge issue. I'm not used to living in cities, I live in the suburbs in Atlanta and have lived in mostly smaller towns before the Atlanta area.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM

5,520 posts, read 11,993,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing147 View Post
I will have a car. One for two people who will both be working. I won't be able to take it to work and we can't afford a second one. So I WILL be taking transit. I can get the bus there after I get off of METRA if need be but I do kind of prefer to walk. Still, being able to get the Pace thing for the METRA is a very useful thing. I've walked 5 miles to work in places with no sidewalks plenty of times, in Michigan at that so I'm used to the midwest winters. That won't be a huge issue. I'm not used to living in cities, I live in the suburbs in Atlanta and have lived in mostly smaller towns before the Atlanta area.
You can also take a bicycle with you on Metra during reverse commutes.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM

I've considered the bike option though in the winter that won't be much help. But ya, I may get one for the summer.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,141,354 times
The bicycle option does extend the "radius" one can hope to cover, though sudden weather shifts can still make a phone call to a SUV driving co-worker a wonderful back-up plan...

Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing147 View Post
Sometimes its not your own feet to worry about but a person behind the wheel.

One thing to keep in mind in Illinois espicially this time of year it gets dark fairly early.

Sad to say but who knows if 90 year Dickie will be driving his 1987 Buick Lesabre off into the shoulder of the road.

I would be leary to walk in any location without a sidewalk not because of my feet but the person behind the wheel who is not paying attention perhaps texting, talking on the phone, drinking the fourth beer of his six pack on the way home or perhaps just a tired driver.

May you think about a car pool or a shared commute with a fellow worker.
Split the cost of gas.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM

11,926 posts, read 14,415,898 times
It's not that bad walking, though biking would sure be faster. Metra may be faster, almost surely in the snow. And a lot less hassle than dealing with the traffic. Between Elgin and Schaumburg has some of the worst you'll ever see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or