U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,612 times

Advertisements

I think your son would be placed in 4th grade this year. Illinois schools (except for private?) are sticklers for the children born after Sept. 1 rule.

Completely agree with chet everett, Chicago is not a good fit for children with high functioning autism. Low functioning autism is easier to get placed by due process or recommendation by CPS into a therapeutic day school. High functioning autism typically places you into a autism cluster program ( or whatever else they decide to call it this year). The problem is that you are not assured the level of his peers and with funding so low, the amount of aides or help in the classroom really takes away time from your child. Being in this situation ourselves, I HIGHLY recommend finding a suburb that has an excellent reputation for teaching children with high functioning autism or a suburb that is likely to place him in a great therapeutic day school. I would contact a special needs lawyer or post an inquiry to get parents responses. Good luck
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 29,421 times
Chicago Autism Academy
Frankfort, IL

Chicago Autism Academy

Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 202 times
Default Updated questions on schools in Chicago for child with autism

Hi Group,

I have a 12 year old daughter with autism and other learning disabilities. She does not have any behavioral issues and has been in public schools in the Chicago suburbs since 1st grade with an IEP. She is a few years away from high school and we're not impressed by the school she'd be attending. Additionally, for a variety of reasons (career / lifestyle / etc.) we are interested in moving back to the city. While I understand CPS is a challenge (we dealt with it when she was in kindergarten), I'm interested to hear updated opinions or experiences within different schools (since this thread hasn't been updated since 2014). We are considering Roscoe Village, Logan Square, etc. and I'd love to hear about experiences or specific schools.

These first hand comments have been some of the most helpful I have read online, so I'm eager to hear more from this group.

Thanks! Jon

Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
Default I'd steer clear...

Firstly let me say that my heart truly goes out to anyone who has a child with any sort of issues like autism, there is far too little invested in helping such kids in even the best financed school districts.

The way that CPS has been evading the Federal requirements is truly criminal and should result in, at the very least, massive fines. Sadly, in the current political environment, this not getting the coverage that would result in such things improving --

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraser419 View Post
Hi Group,

I have a 12 year old daughter with autism and other learning disabilities. She does not have any behavioral issues and has been in public schools in the Chicago suburbs since 1st grade with an IEP. She is a few years away from high school and we're not impressed by the school she'd be attending. Additionally, for a variety of reasons (career / lifestyle / etc.) we are interested in moving back to the city. While I understand CPS is a challenge (we dealt with it when she was in kindergarten), I'm interested to hear updated opinions or experiences within different schools (since this thread hasn't been updated since 2014). We are considering Roscoe Village, Logan Square, etc. and I'd love to hear about experiences or specific schools.

These first hand comments have been some of the most helpful I have read online, so I'm eager to hear more from this group.

Thanks! Jon

The well documented problems that have been demonstrated as negatively impacting students needing special educational services in CPS are part of a huge scandal that has largely been hushed up: Officials say CPS special education policy violated federal law, suggest 3 years of monitoring - Chicago Tribune

Much of the work that went into the report mentioned above came from this well respected advocacy group's efforts -- https://www.accessliving.org/1710SN24

Sadly the analysis of the alleged "$30 Million" supposedly earmarked to remedy the violations of Federal regulations regarding special education appears to be "smoke and mirrors" -- https://www.accessliving.org/2018-CPS-Budget-Report

Old 09-24-2018, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 662 times
As a special ed teacher and a BCBA, one of the things I recommend in this area is to look at the flexibility a school has in it's approach to teaching. A lot of the schools on the North Shore of Chicago have the ability to work with the child where they are at, in approaching IEP goals etc. I would also recommend looking at ABA services for after school to help teach and to help generalize those skills that are being worked on at school and/or that your child is struggling with at school. Having a home team that can help the school team work with the child is extremely advantageous, and also gives you as a parent the support you need when navigating the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs