U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 23,795 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old with autism. We are currently in Chicago, and dealing with CPS had been a nightmare. They are doing everything in their power to not provide services, and I just don't have it in me to continue this fight. I know I can sue them, but...I am just too mentally exhausted from this. It has only been one year and I know I don't have it in me to do this for 14 more years. They win! We're leaving.

Soooo...any autism parents out there who can recommend their district? We are willing to go just about anywhere within reasonable commuting distance of the city. I work in the Loop, and my husband works in the northern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 PM

12 posts, read 72,580 times
You might want to look at this link from Autism Speaks Illinois: Results | Autism Speaks

Also, I don't have personal experience with them, but I have heard great things about Little Friends - Little Friends, Inc. - Home

I have a five year old on the spectrum and our school district has been amazing - we live out in Montgomery - district 302 (Kaneland) and I can't say enough good things about them. My daughter was in their Early Childhood program last year and she has grown so much since then. She continues to receive services and she has an IEP.

You have rights, but I understand your exhaustion from it.

Please feel free to PM me if you need. I probably can't give you a ton of help, but sometimes it's just nice to talk to someone else with a child on the spectrum.

(hugs)

Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 36,291 times
Give Oak Park or River Forest a try. They are similar but housing in Oak park is a lot more affordable.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 72,580 times
This is a good link for you to look at:

Illinois: Categories | Autism Speaks

Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 21,204 times
Default School ib Chicago

Moderator: Removed HTML tags 3/23/12 for post clarity

Dear Sir/Madam

I am father of severely autistic boy. He is not verbal and did not understand English. My wife is planning to move to Chicago and I need advice /information about the best school. I also need the information about parents forums which could provide me with the information.Thank you very much for anticipated help

Dmitry Shlapentokh

Last edited by linicx; 03-23-2012 at 02:06 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlapen View Post
I am father of severely autistic boy. He is not verbal and did not understand English. My wife is planning to move to Chicago and I need advice /information about the best school.
I also need the information about parents forums which could provide me with the information.Thank you very much for anticipated help

Dmitry Shlapentokh,
Fixed that font and size problem for you since it made your post hard to read.

There are several things you would need to tell us before your questions can be answered. Where in Chicago will your wife be working? That will determine what suburb she should live in. Chicagoland is quite large and while there is good public transportation, the commute will be important.

There are many good schools in the Chicago area, but it is difficult to tell you what to do without knowing more about your son's functioning level. How old is your son and where does he go to school presently? Does he speak in your native language?

Is his IQ normal or low? Many autistic people even non-verbal ones are cognitively normal. Does he use a communication device?

Easter Seals built a new school and research center in the Illinois Medical District.

Easter Seals Chicago - Autism. Our Schools

Easter Seals Metropolitan Chicago's Therapeutic School and Center for
Autism Research
1939 West 13th Street
Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60608-1226
312-491-4110 Main Phone
312-733-0247 Main Fax

There are other schools for autistic children, but I don't know how good they are or if they would fit your son. He *might* be able to go to a regular public school either in a special needs classroom or partially mainstreamed depending upon his age and the severity of his symptoms.

Therapeutic Day Schools | Autism Resource Center | Rush

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 39,696 times
Default good school/ district in illinois

I have an autistic daughter who's 10, attending 5th grade this year. We're in Chicago (Near North) and have had her in 3 Chicago Public Schools since Kindergarten. Every year I find myself desperately hunting for a better school solution for her and every year I come up short. My experience is (feel free to correct me!), that unless you have a child with severe autism, you are stuck going to whatever CPS school you are closest to. I've contacted private schools and been told that you can pay the tuition (upwards of $38,000 per year) or need a lawyer to prove that CPS doesn't have a facility for your child to pay for the private school. I've consulted lawyers and they say CPS is notorious for shuffling the child to as many schools as they see fit to avoid the hefty tuition.

Has anyone found an exceptional school in CPS?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 24,583 times
Hi Guys I know this thread been started long back.
If any one knows any good school district for children with autism please help me too.
Thank you

Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM

2 posts, read 39,696 times
Are you looking in the city or suburbs?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 18,533 times
Our law firm, the Law Offices of Gary S. Weiss, P.C. helps children with disabilities obtain services pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA). For more information about special education law contact:

Law Offices of Gary S. Weiss, P.C.
20 N. Clark Street
Suite 2200
312-419-9191
[email]jamescsheets@weiss-law-office.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs