Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,890 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a job in Addison, IL and I have to do my homework on nice suburbs to live.

We have a dog, so a house or condo would be best and we like the sleepy, all american, boring suburbs. We don't mind driving to where the action is on the weekends.

When looking at real estate on the internet I don't know which suburbs are safest and which are scary.

We currently live in a small town in Michigan and just want a nice, safe, suburb to live.

Where should I be looking that is relatively close to Addison, IL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Budget could be a factor, preference for older vs newer, as would be willingness to drive.

Towns like Elmmhurst are quite nice, nearby, a bit pricey to purchase a home that is newer or updated.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
My friend works in Addison and she lives in Roselle and is very happy there. Roselle is less expensive than a lot of the nearby suburbs, although I'm not sure why. I think it's cute. My sister also lives there with her fiance, along with my friend's boyfriend and my friend's brother and sister-in-law. I think all of them like the town a lot.

Another area to look at, in my opinion, is Bloomingdale. I lived in Bloomingdale for 9 years when I was a kid and I always felt very safe there. My parents loved that town as well. We moved because our house was not in the Bloomingdale school district, so the high school I would have attended was not great (Glenbard East). Most of Bloomingdale is is in the Lake Park High School district though, which is a much better school.

The one plus to Roselle over Bloomingdale is that it has a metra station which makes getting downtown easy. For someone like myself and my future brother-in-law, that is crucial since we work downtown. If you're only planning on going downtown occasionally for fun, that's not as necessary.

The plus of Bloomingdale is that it has Stratford Square Mall along with a lot of other retail, which is convenient. But, Roselle is closer to Schaumburg, which has the much bigger Woodfield Mall. Schaumburg also has IKEA, which I end up going to all the time, despite living nowhere near it.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
I second Roselle. I grew up there, my parents and my brother and his family still live there. It is DEFINITELY a sleepy boring town. Itasca and Medinah would be good options as well, and they are both on the same Metra line as Roselle.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Addison

Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Addison
Really? I mean it's not a bad town, but it is not on my compelling suburbs to live in list either.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The OP asked for "all American" suburbs and in my mind's eye that conjures up places that has Norman Rockwell look -- a main thoroughfare, train depot, central business district with shops and maybe a nice movie house.

For all those reason and its proximity to Addision I would place Elmhurst at the top of the heap.

Glen Ellyn would also be right up, though lately it has been every bit as expensive as Elmhurst and since it is smaller, not as wide a range on the more affordable range.

Lombard is sorta similar, though the unfortunate decision years back to place the viaduct / underpass right on Main St is a bit a visual mess, theatre closure is sorta a sore point for me too. Schools are a notch or town on most ratings, though that is offset with greater affordability...

Addison's appeal would lie mostly in it relative affordability and "diversity" such as it is, apparently that is important to some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs