Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 20,763 times

Advertisements

Work is transplanting me to Warrenville, Ill. I understand that this is about 30 mins west of downtown Chicago. My question is, what are some good areas for renting 1 bedroom apts in the area? Keep in my mind i am fairly young and would like to be an area with other people in their 20s. Also, i think living too close to downtown would be too expensive and far from work, no?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
You should have no trouble finding an apartment in the area, Warrenville, Naperville, Batavia, Eola, Winfield. Being able to afford it may be another story. thry this www.apartments.com/Warrenville

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Warrenville is more like an hour away from downtown chicago and maybe more in rush hour. I agree with the former poster...there are many places to rent in the mentioned places. Dont forget to look at renting condos as many people are renting them out now and can be nicer than apartments.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 AM

93 posts, read 443,967 times
I commuted from downtown to Warrenville for a year in 2007-2008. I also have a good number of coworkers that still do. I wouldn't recommend it as a long term plan. Unfortunately, the Western Burbs do not offer the same opportunities to "live it up" in your 20s as the city. The key is to find a good medium between commute and accessibility to nightlife, culture and single chicks/dudes to throw down with. My recommendation would be to look into Oak Park, which will cut your commute in half compared to the city, but still offer those fun things mentioned. If you are more of a homebody, and don't need those things, Naperville would be another good option.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Naperville is about the only city nearby with any nightlife.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
pvande's suggestion is a good one, honestly the folks that make "anyplace not Chicago" out to be a wasteland are kinda nuts. Warrenville has a dozen or so nice places to grab lunch with co-workers or head out for a beer afterwork. The most common mode of commuting to Warrenville is by car, and the drive from basically any spot in Chicago will likely be an hour or more. Living in Chicago could make for an excruciating commute.

Many younger folks do rent in the apartments in Warrenville as well as nearby Naperville and Lisle. There are many folks that enjoy the more "planned community" aspect of places like Four Lakes in Lisle that has a variety of outdoor sports or working out before / after work at Lifetime Fitness which is very close to most Warrenville workplaces.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM

166 posts, read 357,674 times
Unfortunately, the nightlife in Naperville and Schaumburg pale in comparison to anything on the north side of Chicago.

When I was in my 20's I worked near Lake Forest for 18 months (lived in Lincoln Park). On a bad day, rain/snow I would be in the car for 2 hours.

The commute was a bear but worth it to be able to "go out" and hang with friends any day of the week.

With hindsight, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,763 times
Would the commute be as bad given that I would be driving out of the city to work as opposed to going towards the city?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx44 View Post
Would the commute be as bad given that I would be driving out of the city to work as opposed to going towards the city?
It might not be as bad but will be slow. Going home in the afternoon would definitely be a bear, especially Fridays as the commuters are joined for those going downtown for the evening.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
This is a classic example why companies are moving downtown Chicago vs. the burbs.

You have a talented young person contemplating where to live in the West Burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs