U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,865 times

Advertisements

I recently secured a job in Lisle, IL and am looking for housing in the area. The problem is there are so many suburbs and neighborhoods in the Chicago area I have no clue where the best places would be. I'm in my early 20's and I definitely want to live near other people of the same age, I enjoy a nice hipster-ish area to hang out at with a few bars or coffee places and possibly a farmers market to walk to. Are there any suburbs that would meet this criteria? And if not, what neighborhoods in Chicago would be a good fit with not too painful of a commute?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM

323 posts, read 328,880 times
Default Some criteria filled nearby..

Lisle and Naperville have farmer's markets on saturday mornings in season. In Naperville, and in the Lisle 4 lakes area you have substantial 20-something contingents. The bars in the area might not be to your taste.. 'Hipster-ish'? I can't think of much of that goign on.

You will just need to determine how important the urban, hipster stuff is to you, most likely. As I mentioned in another thread, Metra runs a pretty good reverse commute schedule, so you could live in a hipster haven like Bucktown and commute out.. lots of people do this. Lisle is on the BNSF Metra railway. I'm not sure how far your work would be from the Station, but some places do have shuttles.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,407,584 times
You will find lots of hipsters in the City. The suburbs will be very painful for you.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,974,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You will find lots of hipsters in the City. The suburbs will be very painful for you.
Hipster central is probaly Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village/Bucktown in Chicago. I'd guestimate a 45 minute to 1 hour drive in the morning to Lisle and a bit longer coming back in the afternoon. If that is too long a commute, a compromise location would be Oak Park (admittedly a pale shadow of the scene in Chicago, but way better than anything else in the burbs). It'll shave 15-20 minutes off the drive to/from work.

Another possibility is to live in the city and take the commuter rail service (Metra) from Chicago to Lisle. This will be a bit complicated because you have to find your way to the station in Chicago which will add time to the commute, then find your way from the station in Lisle to work. Depending on where your job is located, there may or may not be any available buses from the Metra station to your job. Despite the added inconvenience of multiple transfers, this method saves you the soul-crushing hassle of driving during rush hour.

If we knew the location of your job, we could give more details.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM

1,366 posts, read 421,692 times
Hi -
Congratulations on your new job. If I had a job in Lisle, I would try and find housing nearby. If you are renting, try Four Lakes Village. There are tons of 20-somethings there. Myself I like the walkability of the close to downtown areas of Downers Grove, Clarendon Hills, and LaGrange, or Naperville. These areas do not have hopping bar scenes, but they are just plain nice. There are some apartments available - not a ton, but there are some. You have to look around. Stay closer to work -- a shorter commute gives you more free time and you spend less on gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. Good luck !

Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
Naperville is not a kicky urban scene but the downtown area is bustling and youthful; North Central College is literally right there. If you're hoping for Seattle, then you probably do want to live in Chicago. But I think it's wiser to live near your work and commute to your fun, just because that will leave you with more free time during the week. I don't know where you are moving from, but I wouldn't live too far from work if you are not used to our winters here.

Naperville is next door to Lisle. Both of them have nice farmers' markets in the summer. The apartments up at Four Lakes is a good idea. It's a pretty area.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 AM

818 posts, read 1,843,298 times
Isn't there a hipster contingency moving into Berwyn nowadays, which is on the BNSF line?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM

98 posts, read 182,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Isn't there a hipster contingency moving into Berwyn nowadays, which is on the BNSF line?
While there may be "hipsters" in Berwyn, the police in the area are definitely not "hip." I used to live in Archer Heights(about 4 miles south of Berwyn) and I had to travel through Berwyn to hang out in Forest Park/Oak Park. The police there are not known to be"friendly."

I would agree with the people that suggest that you live relatively near Lisle if you are going to work there. Chicagoland traffic is brutal on Fridays to put it mildly and living close to where you work will really be appreciated after a Friday afternoon or two stuck in it.

Depending upon your budget and your personal needs I would suggest that:

1. Elmhurst
  2. Downer's Grove
  3. Wheaton
  4. Lisle itself
  5. Parts of Romeoville, Bolingbrook and Plainfield
Are all good places to live that are reasonably priced (for rentals and especially during the current housing crisis) and will have all of the entertainment and service businesses that most people need.

For nightlife, depending upon your tastes, the following areas have some:

1. Oakbrook Terrace
  2. Naperville
  3. Aurora
  4. Schaumburg
  5. Oak Park/Forest Park
However, obviously nothing like Chicago. It may just be better to venture into the City on the weekends and consider getting a hotel room or staying with friends if you plan on partying.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM

438 posts, read 1,463,471 times
If you are in your early 20's do not live in the suburbs...experience the city first. As Vlajos said, the suburbs will be very painful for you. You can always move out of the city to the burbs if you don't like it. Or if you really want to live in a suburb maybe check out Oak Park? You could take 290 to 88 all the way to Lisle which shouldn't be too bad of a commute? Oak Park has walkable restaurants and bars and has the blue line so you can get into the city pretty easy.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:06 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,345,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
While there may be "hipsters" in Berwyn, the police in the area are definitely not "hip." I used to live in Archer Heights(about 4 miles south of Berwyn) and I had to travel through Berwyn to hang out in Forest Park/Oak Park. The police there are not known to be"friendly."

I would agree with the people that suggest that you live relatively near Lisle if you are going to work there. Chicagoland traffic is brutal on Fridays to put it mildly and living close to where you work will really be appreciated after a Friday afternoon or two stuck in it.

Depending upon your budget and your personal needs I would suggest that:

1. Elmhurst
  2. Downer's Grove
  3. Wheaton
  4. Lisle itself
  5. Parts of Romeoville, Bolingbrook and Plainfield
Are all good places to live that are reasonably priced (for rentals and especially during the current housing crisis) and will have all of the entertainment and service businesses that most people need.

For nightlife, depending upon your tastes, the following areas have some:

1. Oakbrook Terrace
  2. Naperville
  3. Aurora
  4. Schaumburg
  5. Oak Park/Forest Park
However, obviously nothing like Chicago. It may just be better to venture into the City on the weekends and consider getting a hotel room or staying with friends if you plan on partying.
Agreed. You will thank yourself not having hour long commutes every day.

The city is still very accessible to the aforementioned suburbs.

You can spend your weekends in the city. Its more fun time there on the weekends when people are not stressed with work, etc. anyways.

Those are also good lists of suburbs to live in, and a good list to get a bit of nightlife fix in between your jaunts into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or