U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,652 times

Advertisements

I don't require all too much in my living area. I would like to live in a place (apt/house/condo doesn't matter) that is relatively new with same if not newer appliances. I'm not a fan of 90's and older places bc of their energy inefficiency (especially living in Chicago!) and pest infestations.

I am hoping to live in a place where I can go running at night and/or early morning in any color shirt I please. I was born and raised in the Bronx, so I've had my fair share of "****ed-up"ness and don't want to add more stories. I know the basic don't be an idiot and get robbed rules, but would like to be in a place where more than that is not necessary.

I HATE traffic so hopefully the place you suggest will be close to Blue Island since that is where my potential job will be at. Thank you for any replies! Oh and I'm a 23 yr old asian if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

10,289 posts, read 12,413,503 times
I doubt you'll want to live in Blue Island. Anything else you're looking for other than a newer apartment?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,062,596 times
check out Orland Park and Tinley Park.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,358,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
check out Orland Park and Tinley Park.
Good suggestions. Also check out Oak Forest, Homewood and Matteson. All nice areas where you won't have to worry about wearing the wrong colors. Just hop on I-57 and you'll be in Blue Island in no time.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,221,690 times
I know that you are looking for "new" everything, but given your age and other demographic info, I'd also consider the neighborhoods of Hyde Park & maybe even the South Loop within the city limits. These areas will afford you very good proximity to the nightlife areas in and near downtown Chicago. I'm not sure if you like to hang out in scenes where there happen to be a lot of other Asians, but I've noticed that there are a lot of Asians that hangout in the downtown scenes (ie. River North, Gold Coast, etc.) almost like you'd see in NY, although not in as great sheer numbers. Hyde Park will have a lot due to being home to the University of Chicago as well. Mileage from Hyde Park to Blue Island is very do-able and this particular reverse commutes I believe is one of the more tame ones in Chicagoland (this is only 13 miles as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmacapa View Post
I don't require all too much in my living area. I would like to live in a place (apt/house/condo doesn't matter) that is relatively new with same if not newer appliances. I'm not a fan of 90's and older places bc of their energy inefficiency (especially living in Chicago!) and pest infestations.

I am hoping to live in a place where I can go running at night and/or early morning in any color shirt I please. I was born and raised in the Bronx, so I've had my fair share of "****ed-up"ness and don't want to add more stories. I know the basic don't be an idiot and get robbed rules, but would like to be in a place where more than that is not necessary.

I HATE traffic so hopefully the place you suggest will be close to Blue Island since that is where my potential job will be at. Thank you for any replies! Oh and I'm a 23 yr old asian if that matters.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,095,804 times
In Illinois you cannot avoid corn or cars. And with 10M people in Chicagoland you will probably like the lesser traffic areas around Matteson and Homewood a whole lot better than Hyde Park which I think, is not too terribly far from the Loop or 8-lane freeways/tollroads. When you get down around Matteson you are toying with rural Illinois. You can find hiking, biking, running trails quicker than you will anything that resembles Broadway. As long as you are not looking for 24/7 entertainment you should be quite happy.

As for infestations, most come from used furniture. Have an exterminator treat your apartment before you move in then buy a new mattress set and new bedding if you do not bring your own. I advise you to wash your new sheets before you use them. I find the new sheets I buy that are made overseas are not very clean.. transit time I suppose.

My mattresses are covered in plastic from the day I buy it untll I replace it. .

Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM

Yeah, for sure.. Driving from Matteson to the 119th Street exit on I-57 isn't bad. It's when you get on the Dan Ryan that traffic can become awful! I can only imagine a reverse commute.

Hyde Park and the South Loop are good suggestions in the city limits.

Last edited by urza216; 11-10-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,095,804 times
So where does someone who works in Blue Island and HATES traffic live? Will County?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
So where does someone who works in Blue Island and HATES traffic live? Will County?
Well, first of all, I really don't consider to be Homewood far out. Not at all, actually. In fact, I think Homewood is close to just about everything. And Metra is local.

Matteson KINDA is far out but it is still very much Chicago suburbia. And compared to where I live, I have a hard to even saying "kinda". And it's a shopping hub for the immediate area. Lincoln Highway is a four lane highway but it's still nothing like Lagrange in Orland Park which is six-lanes.. Those numbers may not sound like much of a difference but it is. If you hate traffic, it would make no sense at all to move to Tinley or Orland.

Yeah, you can move to eastern Will County. Like Monee maybe because it's close to I-57. I've gotten from my house in Monee to the West Pullman Library in a half an hour. Blue Island is just on the other side of the expressway and dependning on where in Blue Island you're heading, possibly the same difference. But I was driving pretty damn fast that day..

The problem with Monee is that well, I'm about to go to Matteson and Chicago Heights to run a couple errands. It's just how it is. There's so amenities here and if you don't like traffic, you're gonna have to deal with it, anyway. Crete has more amenities but it's further away from I-57 and that part of the commute can be annoying when in you're a hurry trying to get to work..

Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM

wait a minute.. Lincoln Highway in Matteson is a SIX lane highway.. Was just driving on it.. lol. it sure seems easy and not congested compared to La Grange in Orland though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs