U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,235 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here is the situation.........I am strongly considering a job offer to Joliet. I am having one hell of a time trying to find a place to live. First let me tell you that I have a family of 5. My 3 young children are 9, 5, and 4. So good schools are a must!!!! I have found that most of the homes that I like are somewhat expensive. My plan was just to rent a home for a year or too, or until we were comfortable enough to purchase one. So this is what I am looking for.......3-4 bedroom house, clean and safe environment, I would like to be within 30-45 min of work and downtown Chicago. I don't mind the small towns, in fact kinda prefer them, but don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere. Here is the kicker.......is it possible to find a house, not apartment like this for around $1500 a month. I would just like to be comfortable with my bills until I can get situated. Thank you all in advance for any advice or info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,098,941 times
The two problems you are going to run into is either high density population or cornfields, or you will drive farther than 45 minutes from work to get what you want. Chicago dominates. Chicagoland has 2/3 of the IL population living there.

There are some diversitfied suburbs near and just south of I-80.like Matteson, Flossmore or Homewood There is also Will county, Kankaee County (Burbonais not Kankakee). Romeoville is closer to Joliet. You can also find towns in Indiana, but not necessarily in Gary. .

Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,985,820 times
Here is a list of villages to check
Homewood nice charming area and safe, reasonable commute to the city and a good mix of housing.
Crestwood
Tinley Park
Oak Forest
Mokena
Orland Park
Palos Heights and Palos Hills

A little further out is Crete , Beecher and Monee. More of a rural type setting but still within a reasonable drive to the city.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 AM

156 posts, read 308,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Here is a list of villages to check
Homewood nice charming area and safe, reasonable commute to the city and a good mix of housing.
Crestwood
Tinley Park
Oak Forest
Mokena
Orland Park
Palos Heights and Palos Hills

A little further out is Crete , Beecher and Monee. More of a rural type setting but still within a reasonable drive to the city.
For your circumstances you could probably add Lockport, Homer Glen, and New Lenox to this list as well.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Tinley Park Schools

ok looked into Tinley Park and the homes for rent are what I'm looking for, but now how are the schools there? My wife is excited to relocate but is very nervous about finding good elementary schools for our children to attend. If anyone can let me know how the schools are there, that would be great. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,098,941 times
Most K-6 schools in Il provide a pretty basic education. It doesn't get too iffy until high school. I think most high schools in the US have the same type of problems with teenagers who think they are adults who do not have to follow protocal. Convesely if you move into a really bad neighborhood you may not find schools that meet your expectations. My nephews went to Lockport schools and then to college.

If you want your children to have a good education then get involved with the teacher, meetings with the teacher, principle, school activities, school board members, the School Superintendant, PTA and homework from K-12.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM

980 posts, read 2,860,553 times
Tinley Schools are alright, got to be wary of the high school situation though. Last I checked Tinley Park High School was not the best place to be, Carl Sandburg is definitely better.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:07 PM

OK. Thank you all for the help. I am coming into the area on Monday for a couple days. So I guess I will be doing alot of driving searching out all the areas that you guys have suggested. This has to be the worst thing about moving to another state for work lol. Hopefully its worth it for me and my family. Thanks again......Please feel free to give me anymore info!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs