U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,489 times
Default Willowbrook MSD60 school district

Hello!

We found a house in Willowbrook that we really like. It is priced a bit higher than our price range but it is still doable. It is the perfect size and it is at the perfect location - close to my husband's work, close to highways, close to grocery shopping, and a 40 min commute for me (I work from home 2-3 days/ week).

The only potential drawback for us is the elementary school district as we have a 18month old child. The school district is MSD60 (Meacrker/Holmes Elementary and WestView Middle school). I looked it up in greatschool website and Meacrker was rates 7 out of 10. Compare to the schools in the nearby school districts this score sounds relatively low. The district feeds part of Westmont, part of Willowbrook and part of Clarendon Hills.

Does anyone have any suggestions as why the big difference? For us school are very important, but our price range ($300s) does not allow us to buy anything in a town such as Clarendon Hills. Any input would be highly appreciated.

We now live in Lombard and we will be new to the Willowbrook area and we also don't know anyone who lives there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM

20,776 posts, read 32,586,354 times
The info from sites where any random shmoe can post their opinion of a school are worse than useless. The only useful info is from the Illinois Interactive School Report Card site hosted by NIU. The info fro that site is pretty solid: Illinois Interactive Report Card

If you are coming from Lombard the schools are pretty similar: http://goo.gl/Molh2

The middle schools probably ought to be doing better in both towns, and the challenge for some one with a child that is probably more than a decade away from middle school, how will things be in 2022...

The advice I give to other folks that really do have a long time to work with their child and community is to get involved NOW, stay on top of all the factors that are an issue with school performance. If there are opportunities to improve the schools one person / group of neighbors can do a lot in a such a small district.

If things trend down you can look at the private schools, possibly budget to move to better area, or options like home schooling...

Willowbrook generally represents a VERY good value and many people are quite satisfied with the schools, the key is to have both a short term plan to stay on top of the things that you need AND a longer term view of the alternatives that you can take...

Old 11-19-2011, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,489 times
Thanks for the reply!
I guess I was looking for someone's opinion on the schools, neighborhood and community as a whole. As far as the schools - I understand that a lot of parent's involvement will be required no matter the rank of the school. I am just not sure what to think about Willowbrook as we don't know anyone from that area...
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 PM

20,776 posts, read 32,586,354 times
Literally the gal that sits across the aisle from me lives in Willowbrook. Her kids are in elementary school and doing well. She and her husband spend A LOT of time with kids sports and stuff like music lessons. They both work in IT and are pretty down-to-earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs