U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 8,175 times

Advertisements

I live in Austin and will be moving to Bloomington, Illinois in a couple of months. I donít have a choice in the matter, so I would like to make the best of the situation. Here is what I need to know:

1. The best and worst things about the city

2. The best and worst neighborhoods (grungy and dangerous is ok if there are fun things to do and I can safely walk around during the day. Boring/suburuban/rural is o.k., as long as there are some cool parks, rivers/creeks/lakes or some sort of wilderness nearbyÖ I like to be in nature)

3. Things to do, minus the obvious tourist attractions that I can find easily online. Is there camping/fishing/hiking/water sports? What about live music, or just a simple dive bar with a good juke box? Any biker bars, gay bars, art events, or other fun, unique places to hang out? What do most people do for fun here?

4. What is the cityís best kept secret?

5. Where is the best place to watch sunset/sunrise?

6. I dabble with photography, is there anywhere to take inspiring pictures?

7. Any good farmers markets?

8. What about festivals?

9. What is the best bicycle route for joy riding and/or getting around town?

10. Can I survive without a car?

11. What about sports? I anyone into college/high school football/baseball/basketball/soccer; Any good parks to find a pick up game?

12. Where is the best BBQ? Coffee? Microbrew? Wine? Breakfast tacos? Soul food? Health food?

13. What are the bums like? Here in Austin, the homeless population on the west side is mostly very nice and can play some good music, downtown they just want money and cigarettes, the north and east side are all crack heads, and far north you will get most likely get stabbed.

14. Are there east vs. west, or north vs. south biases? What about political biases? How about tourist or newbie prejudices?

Thatís all I can think of right nowÖ. no need to spend too much time if you canít answer all my questions. An answer to one or all will work. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Last edited by BeansNCornbread; 11-18-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM

3,485 posts, read 5,555,641 times
You sure are moving to a lot of cities:

Jacksonville?

Bloomingdale Move

Whittier?

Parma?

Bend, Oregon?

And maybe more to come.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM

yep. when you gotta go, you gotta go. just don't know where yet.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Default East Vs. West

saw on the other forums that the west side is the bad side.... also saw a disturbing amount of sex offenders here, with very few reports on the the west side.... and very, very disturbing numbers in Ellsworth just east of the city. Does the west side have gangs or something? I think I'd rather live around gangs than sex offenders.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 PM

hey senior member, err, karlsch .... i accidentally put the thread title as Bloomingdale instead of Bloomington and can't figure out how to change it. should i just start a new thread, is there a way to change the thread title?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
You sure are moving to a lot of cities:

Jacksonville?

Bloomingdale Move

Whittier?

Parma?

Bend, Oregon?

And maybe more to come.
quick to make fun of my situation, but slow to actually help, huh?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,508,535 times
You may want to post this in the Illinois forum instead of the Chicago Suburbs forum. Bloomington isn't really a suburb of Chicago since it is in central Illinois. I think part of the reason you aren't getting many replies is because people who live in the Chicago suburbs don't know much about Bloomington.

Bloomingdale, on the other hand, is a town I lived in for 10 years, so I actually know something about it... Bloomington, not so much. I do think they have a Biaggi's there, which is an Italian restaurant that I think has some of the best bread in the universe. Bloomington also has Illinois State University, so no shortage of bars. That's about all I know though, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs