U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,806 times

Advertisements

We're finally buying a house in the 'burbs and figured that Evanston was the lease 'burbsy option that fit our criteria. We will need to take the metra or CTA to the loop for work and will live just far enough away that we will need to drive to the train most of the year (we can walk or bike on nice days) and are equidistant from the Central Ave Metra and Davis Metra/CTA stops.

(1) Where is the parking located for each of these stops?
(2) How difficult is it to park in the morning? Any advice in this area will be much appreciated, such as when/where parking is easier, how much it costs, which areas are too congested to bother with, etc. We're willing to buy a monthly pass if it improves our chances of parking without too many headaches. I have no idea what to expect.
(3) Metra is closest for my husband's job and the CTA is closer for me (although they take about the same amount of time door-to-door). Is the Metra significantly more comfortable than the CTA (I've never been on a Metra train)? This may be wishful thinking, but I'd love to use my iPad during my commute and don't know if that is feasible for either option. I'd probably get mugged on the red line, although I've seen a few brave (or crazy) people use their iPad on the brown line.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:20 PM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
Parking is not good, so try to be within a half mile so you can walk. Skokie (Dempster) has good parking. Or ride the bus there. Metra trains do not yet have WiFi (and there may be a charge when they do) nor do I believe the CTA does.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 PM

57 posts, read 89,734 times
Umm...Metra has no Wi-Fi at all, I'm pretty sure. The trains are pretty old.

I lived at Ridge Ave & Noyes St. when I was a summer intern last year. One of my roommates walked to the Davis St. Metra station from the apartment to get to his full-time job in the loop last year.

I drove from Evanston to Skokie to get to my job, and parked on Ridge Ave. Parking was very easy and completely unrestricted, I think. So you could park along Ridge Ave south of Foster St., and walk a bit to get to the Davis station.

The metra is a way more comfortable ride than the L. Seats are larger and more comfortable, and the ride is much smoother and quieter. I would definitely feel safe using my iPad on the metra--it's easy to find relatively private spots, especially upstairs. I've taken out my iPad on the red line before too, but I had friends with me so that's different.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 13,806 times
iPad 3G does not require wi-fi. I am 100% positive that the CTA and Metra has no wi-fi, so that is not an issue or concern of mine at all. I'm concerned about being mugged.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:45 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,217,111 times
The Metra (esp. the UP-North line) has a very white collar, professional type of crowd that commutes to the Loop in the morning. Couple that along with the presence of conductors and your chances of getting mugged on a Metra train are slim to none. The CTA and the Metra may as well be night and day. I could see a lot more of these types of incidents being possible on the CTA. It would be unheard of during the weekday rush hour routine on the Metra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsky View Post
iPad 3G does not require wi-fi. I am 100% positive that the CTA and Metra has no wi-fi, so that is not an issue or concern of mine at all. I'm concerned about being mugged.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 AM

5,050 posts, read 5,978,831 times
by far the best parking on the Purple Line isn't in Evanston, but it is literally right next door and very convenient if you live in north Evanston.

That would be the end of the line Linden station in Wilmette, the one stop that comes with its own parking lot.

One great thing about Metra is after the three Evanston stops at Central, Davis, and Main, you've got only three other stops....Rogers Park, Ravenswood, and Clybourn....until you're at Ogilvie/NW Station downtown. The Purple express makes every stop in Evanston and a number of stops in the city before it circles the loop.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
Does anyone know how parking around Central street Metra is at 7am or so? Can you get a spot?

We also are thinking of moving to Evanston, near New England Village (I believe NW Evanston/west of golf road) so would have to drive to a Metra station to get to work downtown/loop... Any advice out there from Evanston commuters? Thanks!!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:46 AM

237 posts, read 190,909 times
Welcome to Evanston! There's a large multi-level parking lot right next to the Davis Metra stop (1800 Maple Self Park - 1400 spaces) , and another multi-level parking lot next to the Davis CTA stop (Sherman Plaza parking lot - has 1583 spaces). Oh, and the Metra and CTA stops are literally next to each other in Davis. Monthly parking is $85 in any of these lots.

You could just park in either of these lots. For one of you, it would be next door, for the other, it would be a 2 minute walk.

I've honestly never felt unsafe in the Red/Purple lines or in Metra either, but I am not a daily commuter.

Evanston downtown and Davis is also very safe at all times in the night. I live there.

Lots & Garages - Parking | City of Evanston

Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,494,078 times
NE Village is nice little neighborhood- I have a close friend who lives on Salem.

I would also consider Davis instead of Central if you need to park a car and improved access. Plus, if you are in downtown Chicago and need to get back home ASAP, you have CTA ('EL') or Metra to fall back on when one train/service is running late/broken down/stuck due to weather or police issues. Been there, done that. Of course it depends where your office is actually located downtown

Source: I was an Evanston resident for 10 years and have worked there for 20+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckoen View Post
Does anyone know how parking around Central street Metra is at 7am or so? Can you get a spot?

We also are thinking of moving to Evanston, near New England Village (I believe NW Evanston/west of golf road) so would have to drive to a Metra station to get to work downtown/loop... Any advice out there from Evanston commuters? Thanks!!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 AM

64 posts, read 38,392 times
There's a surface lot a couple of blocks east of Central station, on the south side Central St. Lot 64. It's west of the stadium. Lots & Garages - Parking | City of Evanston

I agree with PP that Davis is good bec the el is right there when there's a problem with Metra, or you want to go somewhere along the el before or after work. Metra rarely has significant delays, but they're more frequent than CTA difficulties. I think there's been a metra stoppage or two due to snow or wind. And the garage parking at Davis is also a plus.

OTOH, I don't have a sense of traffic into Davis area. Depending from where you're coming, if you have to drop or pick up kids, using Central street may be more efficient. And, in the case of delays, the El only a mile west. The 201 bus (usually) runs regularly during commute hours (otherwise it's 4 or 3 times per hour, never runs on Sunday). There's a 201 stop across from surface lot. And, if dressed for weather, & not carrying much, it's not a bad walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or