Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 PM

83 posts, read 132,828 times

Advertisements

I like to run. I am from the north shore, around Kenilworth to be specific. Last night I was running on the Green Bay Trail around 7 PM. Normally I don't really see many people out but there is an occasional biker and another runner.

Last night I was running and I was near Tower road in Winnetka. There were 5 kids hanging out on the trail. They were all black, which immediately raises suspicion since this area is basically all white. This isn't racist, it makes perfect sense. If a black guy or girl saw 5 white dudes chilling in the shadows wearing hoodies in Englewood, I'd hope they call the police. That is what I did - I called the cops to report suspicious activity. They sent some officers down but didn't see anything.

I want to run tonight, but am I really gonna go and risk running into those guys again? Oh, forgot to mention this: as I was running by them, one of the bigger kids said to his friend "yo ***** get the board, get the board." Based on the construction site near by, I am guessing they were referring to a large wooden plank that I saw. So I think it's safe to say they would have robbed me if I hadn't ran by so fast.

And I can't carry a weapon to defend myself but these guys appear to be armed with something? And I can't run in my own town, on a trail meant for people to run in? ****in bull****.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,191,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post
I like to run. I am from the north shore, around Kenilworth to be specific. Last night I was running on the Green Bay Trail around 7 PM. Normally I don't really see many people out but there is an occasional biker and another runner.

Last night I was running and I was near Tower road in Winnetka. There were 5 kids hanging out on the trail. They were all black, which immediately raises suspicion since this area is basically all white. This isn't racist, it makes perfect sense. If a black guy or girl saw 5 white dudes chilling in the shadows wearing hoodies in Englewood, I'd hope they call the police. That is what I did - I called the cops to report suspicious activity. They sent some officers down but didn't see anything.

I want to run tonight, but am I really gonna go and risk running into those guys again? Oh, forgot to mention this: as I was running by them, one of the bigger kids said to his friend "yo ***** get the board, get the board." Based on the construction site near by, I am guessing they were referring to a large wooden plank that I saw. So I think it's safe to say they would have robbed me if I hadn't ran by so fast.

And I can't carry a weapon to defend myself but these guys appear to be armed with something? And I can't run in my own town, on a trail meant for people to run in? ****in bull****.
Do you have a dog to run with? Another friend or 2? maybe bring some pepper spray?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 PM

121 posts, read 458,739 times
Carry pepper spray. You can buy small ones and attach to you somehow when jogging.

I'm not aiming this toward you to offend;
Why do women jog in the dark alone?!
It makes no sense to me. Take a friend, a guy preferably, or get a big dog and take your dog running with you. I just don't think that's safe anywhere. I understand there a the type of people who hog everyday no matter what, but there has got to be a safer alternative than a woman jogging in the dark alone (am or pm)

I'm not even going to judge or reply on the racial issue or anything to do with who it was on that trail and what they might have done. I don't think that's the issue. You just put yourself in that situation. What if it was a white guy that jumped out from behind you and raped you?!?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 AM

83 posts, read 132,828 times
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am a male, 6'2 so I wouldn't be an ideal candidate for robbery. I think that is the reason they might have been hesitant. All they saw was a big dark figure moving pretty quickly in their direction. And I do see girls running on the trail which is is definitely dangerous. That is why I turned around and walked back but on the train tracks - it put a barrier between myself and any potential problems.

If it had been a bunch of white guys hanging out acting sketchy, I would probably have had a similar reaction, but only if they hadn't said "get the board." I've seen kids down there smoking pot...no big deal. But the fact is there is about a 1% chance that all 5 of those kids were from around the area...so it begs the question, what were they doing?

Anyway I just wanted to vent at how ridiculous it is that people really can't defend themselves nowadays. If those guys considered that I might be carrying pepper spray, I doubt they'd reconsider a mugging. If they considered that I might be carrying a hand gun it'd be a different story.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,835,703 times
Quote:
If it had been a bunch of white guys hanging out acting sketchy, I would probably have had a similar reaction, but only if they hadn't said "get the board." I've seen kids down there smoking pot...no big deal.
I am confused. So you'd have called the cops on the white kids, but only if they hadn't mentioned getting a board? Would you call the cops on them if you saw them smoking pot?

Did the black kids actually have a weapon? Did they brandish the board as though it was a weapon? If not, why even mention that they were black, particularly since its equally likely the white kids might not be from around there either.

If you saw me walk by your house at midnight, would you call the cops? I'm black - does that change your answer?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,559,842 times
Quote:

being black is now suspiscious and worthy of calling the cops, holy cow what is this world coming to.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,556,496 times
To the OP, carry a hand gun if you feel safer. I guarantee, you won't get busted.

BTW, of course this thread is racist.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM

60 posts, read 173,492 times
Default Here's a thought....

Run a different path. If you are actually from the North Shore, I'm fairly confident you are aware of a variety of different paths up there that you can jog in.

BTW for your information .....

Smoking pot IS illegal. Next time you see it, I might suggest you contact the police to report it (unless of course, the kids are white, which I would fully understand why you wouldn't want to report it).

Kids standing around talking on a street corner, no matter what color, creed, ethnicity or what have you is NOT illegal. Believe it or not, it's done across our non-racist country ALL the time.

There really ARE black people that live and frequent the North Shore and really do belong there.

Holy smokes - what rock did you crawl out from?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 PM

439 posts, read 948,977 times
According to the 2000 census there are only four black people that live in Kenilworth. Of course the numbers might have changed in the last eleven years, but highly unlike any or all of them actually live in Kenilworth.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM

60 posts, read 173,492 times
Default And how many minorities live on the North Shore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
According to the 2000 census there are only four black people that live in Kenilworth. Of course the numbers might have changed in the last eleven years, but highly unlike any or all of them actually live in Kenilworth.
Or is it now illegal, if you are black, and live on the North Shore, to congregate on a street corner in Kenilworth? Or travel into Kenilworth? Or maybe it's even "drive through" Kenilworth?

And even if they don't live anywhere near Kenilworth, when did it become illegal, if you are black to congregate on a street corner in Kenilworth?

Just asking, because I'm curious as to the thought process.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: