U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM

3,783 posts, read 5,528,400 times

Advertisements

Downtown Wheaton is walkable and has a train but no L. The old part of town is walkable to the downtown area and plenty of people walk to the train every day or ride a bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,352,550 times
Both downtown Homewood and dowtown Flossmoor are walkable and have a Metra station you can walk to or from. No CTA service!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 PM

375 posts, read 847,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I mean the nostalgia factor aside, does it really make sense to run a big empty train or bus around in circles? If the things ran on magic fairy dust it might be less of waste, but the majority of buses are spewing diesel exhaust and not as efficient as a little Jetta and certainly not a Prius or CNG Civic...

The electricity for the El trains is coming from the filthy belching coal fired plants that ought to be shut down...

It is only a matter of time before the environmental load and operational overhead are just too burdensome...

Rush hour is a different proposition altogether -- when those buses or trains are FULL the "CO2 per mile" that anything sort of a fleet of Leaf plug-ins are excellent.
So would you cut Brown line service during those same "non-commuting" times? Those cars are equally empty.

Green line service all day is quite useful. I can volunteer in one of my kid's classrooms for an hour or two and still be in my office by 10 or so.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
Nobody made ME head of the CTA, all I am saying is that when a straight shooter like Forrest Claypool is put in charge of that kind of an agency and he realizes that the cost-per-rider during off peak hours is so astronomical I would not count on those kinds of services to continue.

The relative damage that might befall some neighborhoods WHEN those service cuts happen is something that ought to be on the minds of folks in Oak Park and Evanston. If they can get out in front of the changes it will be much more likely that they'll have strategies to enhance the vibrancy of their central business areas instead of scrambling after their fate is sealed. The funny thing is, given previous failures like the Oak Park Mall (and to lesser extent the large Evanston parking facilities...), I suspect that the "planning professionals" will suggest the sorts of "big government solutions" that are expensive and not friendly to business. Ideally there are still enough commercial real estate developers with the brains and will to market the relative walkability and other featurers as pluses that can offset negatives.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:08 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I don't disagree that the more frequent service on the El does give a different feel to the areas like Evanston or Oak Park that have such service I do question if there are tangible POSITIVE results attributable to having folks show up for rides elsewhere that are not on a standard work schedule. When I think of things that seem like a legitimate reason to be on the El at other than "rush hour" I think of things like doctor's / dentist's appointments I have not noticed any particularly high density of either near the Evanston or Oak Park El stops. I have sometimes encountered folks on the Blue Line heading to Cook Co Hospital, and while I suppose it is better than walking the thought of whatever communicable pathogens they might be spewing has generally made me think twice about where I sit / what I touch.

The continually declining price of used cars makes me think that basically anyone with a little bit of resourcefulness could probably justify having a vehicle for trips in the metro area and I wonder if eventually the low volumes of off peak riders will force the CTA to adopt a more sane Metra style schedule...
There are a ton of doctors near the Central Street El stop in Evanston - there are several doctors buildings, plus Evanston Hospital. There are also dentists and doctors in several buildings near the Davis street stop (a little further walk than from the Central street stop, but not much further).

Note that in Evanston, you also have the library near the Davis street el as well.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,417,284 times
Chet,

They are not going to cut the green line, just like they didn't cut the blue line when IDOT (or IDIOT?) came up with the plan to widen 290 by cutting the blue line to UIC... why? because the whole idea is a waste or resources and would do nothing but put more cars on the road. The last thing Chicago needs is more cars on the road. Despite the fact the EL and buses may not be as green as a Prius, it's sure greener then having everyone on the EL drive. Not everyone has or wants a Prius, especially in a place like the US where people like their big cars. And, is the electricity made for the Prius cleanly made?

It's more likely that the further out burbs are going to be "scrambling after their fate is sealed" when gas hits an unaffordable level and commuters start ditching their cars. It's going to make places like Oak Park and Evanston even more desirable then they already are.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Chet,

They are not going to cut the green line, just like they didn't cut the blue line when IDOT (or IDIOT?) came up with the plan to widen 290 by cutting the blue line to UIC... why? because the whole idea is a waste or resources and would do nothing but put more cars on the road. The last thing Chicago needs is more cars on the road. Despite the fact the EL and buses may not be as green as a Prius, it's sure greener then having everyone on the EL drive. Not everyone has or wants a Prius, especially in a place like the US where people like their big cars. And, is the electricity made for the Prius cleanly made?
Uhh Prius runs on gas... Plus all the material for the car, and it costs you 25,000 dollars. Which for a single person is over 11,000 rides on the EL...That's 15 years worth of riding the el every single day twice a day. Sometimes eco-green people are pretty retarded in their logic. They aren't green, they just want to feel better about their consumer lifestyles. Yet they still consume more than most poor folks, or people in the city taking PT.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Uhh Prius runs on gas... Plus all the material for the car, and it costs you 25,000 dollars. Which for a single person is over 11,000 rides on the EL...That's 15 years worth of riding the el every single day twice a day. Sometimes eco-green people are pretty retarded in their logic. They aren't green, they just want to feel better about their consumer lifestyles. Yet they still consume more than most poor folks, or people in the city taking PT.
Prius is hybrid. Its almost impossible to live in the USA without being some what of a consumer regardless of personal ideology. It's true that it's a 'retarded logic' to judge others as wasteful when one is more so, but it's equally 'retarded' when non-Eco-green people allude to driving as a greener alternative to public transportation. It's also interesting how many 'poor folks' in the USA drive. It's the only country in the world I can think of where a homeless person can run a car...

Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,352,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It's also interesting how many 'poor folks' in the USA drive. It's the only country in the world I can think of where a homeless person can run a car...
Or work two jobs and somehow have to LIVE In a car..

Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Or work two jobs and somehow have to LIVE In a car..
Yeah, while many others around the world get to work more hours under horrendous conditions and get Literally a tiny box to sleep in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or