U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,371,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Yeah, while many others around the world get to work more hours under horrendous conditions and get Literally a tiny box to sleep in.
......But getting what they're paying for, nonetheless.

A car (or at least access to a car or someone who can drive you in a car) is pretty much a necessity in most of America. And no one is giving away cars to poor people for free.

200 bucks a month won't buy you a run down shack here. It won't buy you anything at all.

Last edited by urza216; 12-04-2011 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 01:01 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,421,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
......But getting what they're paying for, nonetheless.

A car (or at least access to a car or someone who can drive you in a car) is pretty much a necessity in most of America. And no one is giving away cars to poor people for free.

200 bucks a month won't buy you a run down shack here. It won't buy you anything at all.
Everyone gets what they pay for, it's what happens when you exchange money for something.

It sounds like you're going on the assumption that people own what they live in... Most poor people in other parts of the world don't own the place they live in... they either pay too live or co-sleep which burns up most of the little pay they get, or they don't get payed anything but get a place to sleep in exchange for a work. Check out the "cage people" in Hong Kong (that literally spend their living wage renting a cage stacked on other cages with other humans in them, and can't even sit up - does this sound better than owning/living in a car?), or workers in the Jade mines of Burma...

The fact that these "poor people" in the usa can afford to even run a car, let alone own one shows a relative wealth between nations.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 PM

No, I was getting at cost of living. It's expensive here in the united states. And minimum wage is way below the minimum cost of living.

I disagree. A studio apartment realy isnt worth 500 bucks a month when mimimum wage is $8.25 an hour (and a lot of places are only hiring part time). Not getting what you're paying for.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:18 PM

You can live like a king on 500 bucks a month in a third world country.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Poorr people in America have more because it's more expensive. And a car is pretty much a necessity. People do whatever they can to gain acess to one.. you need a car to get a job.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm not comparing "apples to oranges", and these poor people in other countries are not getting "500 bucks" to live like kings. What they get compared to the cost of living in their respective countries is MUCH lower then what poor people in the USA get for their money... this is my point, poor people here pay more, but still have a better standard of living compared to most other poor people around the world.

I agree that America is addicted to gas, but there are many in big cities that take public transportation to work.

I fail to see how a person here getting payed minimum wage is some how worst off compared to people in Burmese Jade camps that don't get payed and live in similar conditions to WWII prison camps.

It's misinformed to assume that just because things are cheeper else where in the world, poor people somehow have a better cost of living compared to the poor in the USA.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Maybe the standard of living should be lowered. I'm sure there are pleanty of Americans who would gladly live in worse conditions for a cheaper price.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Not everyone can live in a big city with great public transportation. Part of what it means to be poor is limited options in where you can live. There is a lot of poverty in the far south suburbs of Chicago.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM

btw, i have no problem with your last post. Yes, life is much more rough in the third world, duh. But this doesnt mean poor Americans should feel guilty nor should you trivialize poverty in America. Besides, change will never happen if "it could be worse" is a valid excuse.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are pleanty of Americans who would gladly live in worse conditions for a cheaper price.
Seeing what people are generally use to here (not only material items, but also social services/entitlement programs, shelters, clean water...) I highly doubt the average poor American would want to live in the type of "worse conditions for a cheaper price" most of the worlds poor has to suffer through.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
btw, i have no problem with your last post. Yes, life is much more rough in the third world, duh. But this doesnt mean poor Americans should feel guilty nor should you trivialize poverty in America. Besides, change will never happen if "it could be worse" is a valid excuse.
I never said or alluded how "poor Americans should feel guilty", and never trivialized "poverty in America". I was illuminating the degrees of differences between America's poor, and what poor means to a lot of the outside world... and responding to your posts about poor Americans having it harder because the cost of living in other countries are cheaper. It's not about always saying "it could be worse", or about accepting one's condition as unchangeable, but it matters to realize what the larger world is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or