Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,406 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place (apartment, condo, house, duplex) with the following:

-within 25-30 miles of Joliet
-1 (large) or 2 bed rooms
-<$1200 rent + utilities (prefer to only pay electric)
- well maintained building
- prefer that the building does not allow pets
- close to highways
- quiet/safe neighborhood

I know that there are tons of places that would match that description and I'm open to all sorts of different suburbs. I don't care much for nightlife as I'm more interested in a well maintained building with good access to highways and such.

Originally I was looking at parts of Bolingbrook but noticing that they may be a tad expensive and not the greatest depending on which part of Bolingbrook, I've decided there are plenty of suburbs within that radius.

Let me know what you all think.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,109,634 times
Money will probably go further in Lockport or Shorewood. Not sure how many newer apartments you can find in those towns but $1200 for a one bedroom ought to get an awesome place...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,034,897 times
Default Oak Forest

Oak Forest is a great option. Hop on I-80 and you'll be in Joliet in no time. Sunny and Cloudy Days will prabobly be able to give you a better estimate but I'm just gonna say less than a half an hour. There are some really nice one bedroom apartments that are cheaper than $1,200 in Oak Forest.. I have an acquaintance who is doing pretty well for himself who he lives in an apartment in Oak Forest and commutes to Joliet five days a week. The neighborhoods are safe and it's next to Orland which has tons of restaurants and shopping options and has one of the largest malls in Chicagoland. Oak Forest is reasonable distance to Indiana and the south side of Chicago too.

Yeah, your money will go further in southwest suburbs like Oak Forest than west suburbs like Bollingbrook. If the idea of setting fire to a 20 dollar bill is bothersome to you then being close to Orland Park should be an option to seriously consider - even if you're very far away from Naperville.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,912,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oak Forest is a great option. Hop on I-80 and you'll be in Joliet in no time. Sunny and Cloudy Days will prabobly be able to give you a better estimate but I'm just gonna say less than a half an hour. There are some really nice one bedroom apartments that are cheaper than $1,200 in Oak Forest.. I have an acquaintance who is doing pretty well for himself who he lives in an apartment in Oak Forest and commutes to Joliet five days a week. The neighborhoods are safe and it's next to Orland which has tons of restaurants and shopping options and has one of the largest malls in Chicagoland. Oak Forest is reasonable distance to Indiana and the south side of Chicago too.

Yeah, your money will go further in southwest suburbs like Oak Forest than west suburbs like Bollingbrook. If the idea of setting fire to a 20 dollar bill is bothersome to you then being close to Orland Park should be an option to seriously consider - even if you're very far away from Naperville.
You really cannot go wrong with Oak Forest or Orland Park. I kinda wish I'd thought more about those when I moved south of the city...

Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,081,972 times
not sure how familiar you are with the area but interstate 80 will go right into Joliet

Urza was right on the money with the time

If what you need is what you mentioned then Oak Forest is perfect for you.
Tinley Park is another option.

Basically any burb off Interstate 80 is an option
Any of the mentioned villages, cities are within easy driving distance
to 57, 294, 80, 355 and 55 and 94

Both Tinley and Oak Forest are Next door to Oraland which many consider to be a major HUB for retail and dining in the SW Burbs

Orland Park has just about any shopping you can probably want along with a wide selection of restaurants.
the area is also embraced with large forest preserves that have excellant trails for walking , running, biking, cross country skiing.
Plenty of recreation and sports complexes if your into fitness

metra stations are also in the villages with access to the city

If you need any info feel free to send a message - Not a Realtor or a rental employee

I just like the area

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 10-30-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM

936 posts, read 2,197,100 times
Try Oswego. Much, much safer community than anything you'll get further to the east and north- especially in Cook County.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM

A good friend of mine lives in Montgomery, He usually says Montgomery is a fantastic place but its always a drive to access a major highway.

The SW Burbs are a much better choice if your looking to be near a network of accessible major highways.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM

46 posts, read 99,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2xlr8 View Post
I'm looking for a place (apartment, condo, house, duplex) with the following:

-within 25-30 miles of Joliet
-1 (large) or 2 bed rooms
-<$1200 rent + utilities (prefer to only pay electric)
- well maintained building
- prefer that the building does not allow pets
- close to highways
- quiet/safe neighborhood

I know that there are tons of places that would match that description and I'm open to all sorts of different suburbs. I don't care much for nightlife as I'm more interested in a well maintained building with good access to highways and such.

Originally I was looking at parts of Bolingbrook but noticing that they may be a tad expensive and not the greatest depending on which part of Bolingbrook, I've decided there are plenty of suburbs within that radius.

Let me know what you all think.

Thank you.
I would advise against oak forest. In the late 1990s and early 2000s the story would be different but not now. I have lived in Oak Forest for more then 20 years and we have seen crime increase, a city government that thinks the people work for it instead of the other way around, and so many other issues. I would say look at Tinley or Orand and maybe Frankfort if you will not mind being futher out. But Oak Forest is on the way down and has been long before the economy tumbled.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 AM

Crime in Oak Forest?
Where?
Stats?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM

46 posts, read 99,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Crime in Oak Forest?
Where?
Stats?

I have had my car broken into several times. We have a family down the street that has parties with the police there all the time because of fighting in the front and back yards. My neighbors down the street have had their car hit several times (the mirror taken off). This should put things in perspective for you. We have several houses on the market that are paid off by long time residents. They are getting out of here.

Oak Forest is a changing town and not for the better. Is it Harvey? No. But it is not Tinley, Frankfort, Orland etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs