U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 PM

5,520 posts, read 11,991,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
So what do people do if they can't park? Is there street parking with a short walk? What are the options?
Naperville is particularly backlogged in terms of available parking spots. I believe there are at network of feeder buses and stellite parking lots for the Naperville stations. Most other stations have better availability. You need to call the individuals town halls to get the best info about parking availability. Based on my observations passing through town on the train, Elmhurst has plenty of available parking.

In the Loop, there's probably 20+ bus routes that will take you from the train station to within a block of your office. Its perfectly safe, and reasonably clean. You're more likely to be injured in a car traveling from your house to the suburban train station than in traveling from the Chicago station to your office. Of course you realize the Loop is highly congested with traffic during rush hour and buses make multiple stops along the way, so you might be better off walking if the weather is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM

323 posts, read 330,002 times
Quote:
So what do people do if they can't park? Is there street parking with a short walk? What are the options?

Basically, daily fee parking while it lasts is what most people use. In the Naperville 5th Avenue station, one is generally ok if they arrive by 7:00 am in the winter, and maybe by 7:20 or so in other seasons, in good weather.

Here is a link to the parking map:

http://www.naperville.il.us/emplibra...0Station_8.pdf

When the daily fee parking is used up on a given day, the choices aren't great: parking illegally (the Naperville police are very thorough in handing out citations), trying your luck at another station (Lisle or Belmont), or driving in.

There are feeder bus routes that are pretty good, as well, as long as you are returning from your commute at the right time. I don't know a lot about the downtown buses other than that they exist; being one mile away I personally would probably just walk.

There are also some businesses and private individuals that will rent parking out within walking distance of the train. I have no personal experience with these.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,122,509 times
There are quite literally hundreds of daily fee spots in Naperville. I believe the reason the town does not want to make those "permit" is to give them flexibility should developers express interest... While some are probably about 3 or 4 blocks away I've honestly not seen everything taken up in several years...

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,266,406 times
Quote:
Daily fee parking is $2 a day, I have never not gotten a spot, but I don't drive often anymore. Rt 59 I had always gotten a space and I used to drive there daily (about 1 year ago), but I always left before 8AM. I think the latest I have left from downtown while driving is the 7:26 train, and always got a spot...I just don't attempt to get right by the station, I choose the farther out lots.

Oh, I have also used the Pace park and ride buses a few times and that works out good. Sometimes I walk to the bus spot (even though there is ample parking) and take the bus to the train...I have friends that take the buses daily and they like it. When we were house hunting I looked at distance to the stations as a key geographical boundary when house hunting.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 3,286,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
Basically, daily fee parking while it lasts is what most people use. In the Naperville 5th Avenue station, one is generally ok if they arrive by 7:00 am in the winter, and maybe by 7:20 or so in other seasons, in good weather.
I park at the Route 59 station, and it's the same there ... at 6:30am, there's plenty of daily fee slots available; but by 7:30am, there will be only a handful of daily fee parking spots left; by 8:30am, you're lucky to find one. However, there are paid slots on the Aurora side that revert to daily fee parking after (I think) 9am, so you can sometimes find a free slot over there if you're riding into the city later in the morning.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM

323 posts, read 330,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While some are probably about 3 or 4 blocks away I've honestly not seen everything taken up in several years...

You must not commute daily, then, or are at least parking very early. Daily fee parking (as opposed to permit parking) runs out almost every non-holiday weekday, especially in the winter. I have been on the bad end of this my share of times, unfortunately.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 86,652 times
Default Lake Zurich?

Hey I've discovered Lake Zurich which, online at least, looks great. Big lots and newer bigger homes. Can anyone give me feedback about the commute to downtown from this area? I assume I'd have to drive to Barrington to catch the Metra....

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,122,509 times
Lake Zurich is a nice town. I don't think I would endorse it completely for a commute to the Loop, as the roads between there and Barrington do tend to be quite congested, but it is an option that might work if you are OK with having to work at finding parking and the drive back home. Personally I much prefer to have a nice clean beginning / end to my day if at all possible. That would win out over bigger house....

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM

11,921 posts, read 14,410,674 times
Quote:
Drive to more distant stations with no parking problem. Drive to remote parking lots which have shuttle buses to the station. Some drive all the way to CTA stations, especially if they have odd work schedules.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM

375 posts, read 849,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I personally wouldn't ride the buses at night, but most of the time I think you're OK during the day. Clean, I don't know ... I tend to wash my hands after riding the train, being a bit of germophobe. Whether they're convenient or not, you'll have to check the schedules and judge for yourself (note that you can sign up for alerts, which is a help):

Chicago Transit Authority

Can't speak for other suburbs, but last I heard the Route 59 and Naperville stations have waiting lists that are something like 7-8 years.

Vasily
14 years in Chicago and I have never heard of anyone not riding the buses at night, especially in the Loop. CTA trains maybe, but never buses.

OP, once you arrive at the train station, it is pretty common to walk to your office. Since the train stations are both clustered on the western edge of downtown/loop, almost everyone has some sort of walk. Please factor that walk into your commuting times calculator!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs