U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,995,821 times

Advertisements

Just remember, property taxes in Illinois are paid in arrears. In other words, you pay your 2010 taxes in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,162,690 times
Default Hmm...

Assessment is handled at the township level in DuPage Co...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
HI,

First of all, property taxes are all over the place in Chicagoland. I live in Dupage County and not only are the property taxes here far higher than Cook County (city of Chicago, Schaumburg, etc) the village I live in has the highest tax rate for Dupage County. It is absolutely outrageous.

We all know about the housing bubble though, and well, when the tax assessor's report claimed my property values had gone up, Oh, I don't think so. Of course I appealed it!

Now my new house, well, they valued it at over $300,000, but I bought this house from the bank and paid under $100,000 for it, so in my appeal, I included my closing statement, which they accepted as the current market value, and immediately agreed to drop the assessed value accordingly. Yes, that means I got my taxes reduced dramatically, and no, I didn't hire anyone to do it for me either.

the trick is that there's usually only a very small window of opportunity, or time, to file that appeal, from the time they send out your annual assessment. In my village, they send out the property value assessments in September, and you have until October 11th to file that appeal.

Now, I also appealed the assessments for 3 other properties, my old house and the homes of a couple of my neighbors. Without any recent sales, the assessor's office was willing to compromise a little, but not enough, so I took our cases to the county review board, and Even though I had no clue what I was doing, feel I did present a strong case, which was both valid and fair, and think I have a good shot at winning this..

Won't get the decision from the review board until this coming March though, and there's always next year. I didn't really know what I was doing this year, just thought I'd give it a try. For next year though, I'm studying up and have already started preparing detailed analyses. I'm an accountant, so I'll be analyzing it to death.

It's probably too late to do anything about your tax assessment for this coming year, but I recommend you start studying up for next year as well. The process varies even from county to county, so go to your local county's website for instructions, and honestly, the preliminary paperwork for an appeal was pretty easy to do.

In fact, the only reason I never did it before is because when I first bought my first house and moved to this village, I just called the tax assessor's office to complain about my first tax assessment based on my purchase price, and they agreed to lower it over the phone. seemed pretty reasonable at the time, so I never had any real reason to actually file an appeal, until now.

That's where I suggest starting. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM

49 posts, read 107,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Just remember, property taxes in Illinois are paid in arrears. In other words, you pay your 2010 taxes in 2011.
Yes, of course. So in preparing your property tax assessment, you need to look for comparable properties that sold the prior year, unless, of course, you have a closing statement showing what you actually paid for your home, in which case, comparables aren't needed.

For example, when you received your property tax assessment in 2011. That's for you 2011 taxes, which you will pay in 2012, but in seeking comparables, you should present comparable homes that sold in 2010, as well as the 2 prior years. You should also try to find comparable homes that sold in your neighborhood, along with the taxes paid for those homes.

This is easily accomplished, starting with a search on Zillow, which will advise you of the last sales date of homes in your area. After finding homes which sold close by, you then go to tax assessor's site to research the property taxes paid on those home, along with grabbing a few pages on that home from a real estate site, such as realtor.com. Print out all relevant data to include with your appeal.

Quote:
Assessment is handled at the township level in DuPage Co...
Yes, but if you start with the Dupage county website, it will provide information to lead you to site with information for your particular township or village, along with forms and instructions. I'm fairly certain that most, if not all, appeals are made first to assessor's office, and then to the Dupage County Board of Review in Wheaton on County Farm Road. Of course, I only checked for my village.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,642,236 times
Suffice to say from reading all of the above and knowing my own experiecne in IL. Good luck understanding why you pay what you pay and be prepared for a lot of time and or money to reduce it.

Property tax bills in IL are hard to understand on purpose. Confusion makes it more difficult to challenge and thus most will not.

I encourage OP to ask to see the bill for any property you are interested in.

My prop. tax bills in WI and now in Oregon were simple documents that easily spell out why you owe what you owe. You may not agree but at least you can understand.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,162,690 times
The actual "bills" in DuPage Co have gotten MUCH more informative and spell out in far more detail what your property is valued at and what each of the taxing districts is getting from your tax dollar. That does not change the fact that the process is designed to happen in stages across many months and THAT is what makes it very difficult for even the most involved citizen to fully understand the impact of each levy and the assessor's valuation on what they'll owe... The rules are largely set in Springfield and it is not just coincidence that Mike Madigan, the long serving Speaker of the House and arguably the most powerful lawmaker in the state, makes a substantial amount of his law firm's income from representing clients that wish to appeal their taxes. A more corrupt system could not be dreamed up...

Old 12-17-2011, 02:31 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,145,971 times
What variables are used for compare? Age, price, size, bed/ba, lot size. house designs, ammenities, location? What do you use if there is no comparable?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,145,971 times
Each County tax is different. The county is reassessed every four years. The rules are set by the state. The tax rate is higher in unincorporated areas. It does not require an attorney to appeal the taxes. It takes the time to fill out the paper work to appeal and an independent appraisal that must be attached. If you paid more for the house than the current appraised value you should win your appeal.

There are other reductions that can be requested but that is tied to income and in some cases age. Cook County and Chicago taxes are higher primarily because over half of the the state poplation lilves in Cook County. The approximately !.5M that is included in the phrase Chicagoland ;live in ajoining counties and nearby states. They may pay an IL personal income tax to work in Chicago but they do not pay property taxes to Cook County.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM

46 posts, read 83,898 times
We live in Oak Forest and have paid 6,000 dollars a year in property taxes on a house that prior to the economic collapse was valued at a little over 200K. This is for the train wreck governments (county of Cook and suburb of Oak Forest) included and the schools.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM

804 posts, read 2,424,069 times
High property taxes are one of the biggest reasons people look at, and then move to Northwest Indiana. I see it everyday, in fact I was once one of them. If you cannot stomach the thought of Illinois property taxes anymore, they are capped at no more then 1% of home value in Indiana. It is now part of the Indiana constitution, so it will be very hard for politicians to raise it. You do have the ability to live in the Chicago area and not overpay on property taxes.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM

46 posts, read 83,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
High property taxes are one of the biggest reasons people look at, and then move to Northwest Indiana. I see it everyday, in fact I was once one of them. If you cannot stomach the thought of Illinois property taxes anymore, they are capped at no more then 1% of home value in Indiana. It is now part of the Indiana constitution, so it will be very hard for politicians to raise it. You do have the ability to live in the Chicago area and not overpay on property taxes.

Just wondering how your taxes compare to the 6,000 I have paid in Oak Forest, IL? Can you give a ballpark figure? I do want to add that property taxes are not the whole deal here in Oak Forest. We have city stickers for our cars 25 dollars. We are taxed by Oak Forest on our Comed (electric), Nicor (natural gas), ATT (phone), in addition to sales taxes and gasoline taxes in town. Our water rate is expected to more then double and garbage collection also will be going up in the new year because of a new contract with homewood disposal. Where do most Indiana town stand on these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs