U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,552 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Grayslake and do not know a whole lot about the area. We would obviously love to be closer to the city but really like the size of the home we can purchase there.

We have seen several houses we like near Washington St. and 45. We do not have children yet but will one day. The schools are Woodland Elementary and Middle and Grayslake Central. I have done some searching on this forum and through greatschools and have seen mixed results. Does anyone have experience in these schools or any experiences with special education in this district?

Also, can anyone recommend a daycare place in Grayslake? I'm curious what the cost of daycare for a 6 month old would be in the area.

One final question, what is the parking situation like at the Grayslake Metra station? From the village website, I can see it is $25 per month. Does the lot fill up by a certain time or is the ample parking if I were to arrive before 8 am?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:08 PM

10,287 posts, read 12,404,411 times
How old are you? I would wait to buy for a while if you have no need for a house.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

185 posts, read 503,405 times
You might note that there are two Grayslake stations:
One on the Milwaukee District North Line:
Milwaukee District / North (MD-N) Station
And one on the North Central Service Line:
North Central Service (NCS) Station

There is considerably more service on the MD line (especially outside of rush hours), but the NCS line has perfectly good service if you are going to be riding at the right times.

Sorry I can't help with the parking situation.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times
Schools are pretty good in Grayslake. If you are close to Washington St you are close to the North Central station, no parking problems. I assume you work downtown. Do you fly a lot? The North Central also goes to O'Hare. Downtown Grayslake is traditional and walkable.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,057,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf1545 View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Grayslake and do not know a whole lot about the area. We would obviously love to be closer to the city but really like the size of the home we can purchase there.

We have seen several houses we like near Washington St. and 45. We do not have children yet but will one day. The schools are Woodland Elementary and Middle and Grayslake Central. I have done some searching on this forum and through greatschools and have seen mixed results. Does anyone have experience in these schools or any experiences with special education in this district?

Also, can anyone recommend a daycare place in Grayslake? I'm curious what the cost of daycare for a 6 month old would be in the area.

One final question, what is the parking situation like at the Grayslake Metra station? From the village website, I can see it is $25 per month. Does the lot fill up by a certain time or is the ample parking if I were to arrive before 8 am?

Thanks in advance
Typically that is the choice. Newer, larger house that is affordable requires moving farther from the city. OR buy an older, smaller home on smaller lot and be much closer. BOTH don't work unless you have $500K plus housing budget IMO.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,936,355 times
Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How old are you? I would wait to buy for a while if you have no need for a house.
If there is no immediate need to move all the way out to Grayslake I would keep shopping. While the idea of a shiny new house might seem appealing the facts are little different.

Of the four schools that serve this home three did not make adequate yearly progress: Illinois Interactive Report Card

Illinois Interactive Report Card

Now I am sure there are those folks that will want to explain those results but in my mind, for folks still in shopping phase, it is just much easier to focus on towns that have schools on the top of the academic acheivement scale: Illinois Academic Excellence Awards, some in the City will require quite a bit of planning to end up testing in / being in the right attendance area, but if you don't even have kids yet that is something you ought to be able to do while shopping, maybe even for a fixer upper in an area where the homes will retain value...

While some of those towns are going to give a much smaller home for the money pretty much all of 'em will mean a better commute, which means more time with your family, and together with the superior schools that really ought to pay off in spades down the road...

Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,057,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If there is no immediate need to move all the way out to Grayslake I would keep shopping. While the idea of a shiny new house might seem appealing the facts are little different.

Of the four schools that serve this home three did not make adequate yearly progress: Illinois Interactive Report Card

Illinois Interactive Report Card

Now I am sure there are those folks that will want to explain those results but in my mind, for folks still in shopping phase, it is just much easier to focus on towns that have schools on the top of the academic acheivement scale: Illinois Interactive Report Card

While some of those towns are going to give a much smaller home for the money pretty much all of 'em will mean a better commute, which means more time with your family, and together with the superior schools that really ought to pay off in spades down the road...
Yup, the schools that improved from 75% to 80% and made AYP are certainly better than schools that went from 94% to 95% and did not
Say, didn't New Trier fail to make AYP because of a sub-set of students?
I know our elementary school failed AYp because ESL students did not improve enough in reading, although their math scores were excellent.

Sorry, you will pass over some good areas if you blindly follow the IL report card instead of drilling deeper!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,936,355 times
Default Well, I mostly agree, but the ease of shopping factor is another matter...

If anybody does drill into the data there is always the opportunity to find a few "hidden gems" where property taxes are crazy low, commute is good, student population has some unusual characteristic that shows positive trends over long period of time and all sorts of other pluses.

With HUNDREDS of schools making the list for Excellence I would be shocked if one could not find a VERY good match with commute and affordability with a school that already has a proven track record of excellence.

For folks that live in an area not on the excellence list they can either choose to move, which with underwater mortgages and the disruption that such changes will have to everything from kids social life to commute to work OR choose to demand better results. It should come as no surprise that I would advocate working to make things better where you are.

For folks contemplating a move way out to a area of new homes it would behove them to know that the schools, as measured objectively, are not performing well enough to make adequate yearly progress. I would not advocate spending money in such area when there are better alternatives...

On the achievement gap thing, you are correct, that is an area that many schools are struggling with. Now if I was the parent of a student identified as "black" I would be awfully upset to find out that even compared to other minority groups there is HUGE achievement gap and I would want to see some progress made. I would not move, as I doubt there is any school which is better suited to helping all students ultimate achieve their potential, but the current status is troubling: http://iirc.niu.edu/School.aspx?sour...170001&level=S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Yup, the schools that improved from 75% to 80% and made AYP are certainly better than schools that went from 94% to 95% and did not
Say, didn't New Trier fail to make AYP because of a sub-set of students?
I know our elementary school failed AYp because ESL students did not improve enough in reading, although their math scores were excellent.

Sorry, you will pass over some good areas if you blindly follow the IL report card instead of drilling deeper!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 AM

684 posts, read 2,659,186 times
I have a colleauge who moved to Grayslake and his property taxes increased from around 7k to 10k in a few years, and I believe he tried a tax appeal, but was denied. Very new and large homes that seem affordable, but the taxes put everything in perspective.

Libertyville and Vernon Hills are nice in that area.

Why buy now? I would rent as well to get a feel for the area.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM

41,861 posts, read 31,725,984 times
I am going to echo purplesky. Pay attention to property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs