U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 AM

20 posts, read 86,670 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at relocating to Chicago and taking a job downtown at Wabash and Van Buren. It's not near any Metra stations (1 mile +) but it is right next to teh El Loop. A friend that used to live there strongly encouraged me to stick with suburbs adjacent to the CTR system - perhaps Evanston and Wilmette.

Can anyone offer guidance regarding the commute from Evanston on the CTR train? How long? How convenient? Is there parking near the stations in Evanston?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 AM

10,304 posts, read 12,443,733 times
Evanston is much more interesting. You can use both metra and cta to get downtown from evanston.

Last edited by Vlajos; 12-06-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM

8,202 posts, read 12,463,970 times
The only suburbs that are on the CTA system are Oak Park, Wilmette, Skokie, Evanston, Rosemont, Forest Park, and Cicero. Forest Park and Cicero you can scratch off and Rosemont doesn't have much residential.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The only suburbs that are on the CTA system are Oak Park, Wilmette, Skokie, Evanston, Rosemont, Forest Park, and Cicero. Forest Park and Cicero you can scratch off and Rosemont doesn't have much residential.
Thanks, that's what I gathered reading the maps. Any feedback on how commutable these towns are?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM

21 posts, read 56,210 times
I'll just add that I take Metra (into Ogilvie) and I work at Wabash & Monroe. It's a 16 minute brisk walk and I find it a fairly pleasant and invigorating way to bookend my work day. Additionally, there are plenty of buses that will get you over in the general direction of Wabash during peak times, it takes about the same amount of time as the walk.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,079,542 times
South side of Park Ridge is also close to the Cumberland CTA station.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,141,354 times
Default Total travel time and ease of access...

As the above poster states and MANY other commuters will agree the distance from the Metra stations such as Ogilvie and Union, as well as LaSalle and Millenium Park, is VERY manageable for any reasonable person. Should you feel a need to catch a bus the various routes are not particularly difficult to navigate as Wabash is a popular destination for offices and retailers.

Should you feel compelled to take the El (which is part of CTA, I assume you have some auto correct messing that up...) the stop may be closer to an office on Wabash, however the actual total time you spend squashed in an over crowded transit car lurching around on ancient tracks is likely to be longer and less pleasant than the trip via Metra where most every rider can get a comfy padded seat with plentynof room to read, work, or sleep without fear. The Metra conductors are very professional as are the fellow riders.

If you were going to be working at one of the rare employers well outside the Loop my recommendation would to plan on using the El --getting to DePaul's Lincoln Park campus or Loyola's Rogers Park Lakefront campus spring to mind as larger employers that are poorly served by Metra.

If you are in need of special accommodations for limited mobility I would probably still recommend Metra for most jobs in the Loop, as the limited jumped of El stations with elevators and the difficulty in using the El transit stops when dealing with crowds is far worse than the orderly and integrated accessibility accommodations that Metra has made to it's system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlolarun View Post
I'll just add that I take Metra (into Ogilvie) and I work at Wabash & Monroe. It's a 16 minute brisk walk and I find it a fairly pleasant and invigorating way to bookend my work day. Additionally, there are plenty of buses that will get you over in the general direction of Wabash during peak times, it takes about the same amount of time as the walk.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM

8,202 posts, read 12,463,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
South side of Park Ridge is also close to the Cumberland CTA station.
It will be an extra 2 blocks walk from the Blue line subway Deaborn\Jackson to Wabash\Van Buren but that is not too significant. Park Ridge, Norridge.

It is also not a far walk to the Metra Rock Island line at Van Buren and Lasalle. He could live anywhere along that line or The South Shore, Metra Electric station at Jackson and Columbus. Both are a much shorter walk than Union or Ogilvie.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 16,901,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I'm looking at relocating to Chicago and taking a job downtown at Wabash and Van Buren. It's not near any Metra stations (1 mile +) but it is right next to teh El Loop. A friend that used to live there strongly encouraged me to stick with suburbs adjacent to the CTR system - perhaps Evanston and Wilmette.

Can anyone offer guidance regarding the commute from Evanston on the CTR train? How long? How convenient? Is there parking near the stations in Evanston?

Thanks,
The commute from Evanston or Wilmette is easy really. It will depend on what time you are going. During the regular rush hours, the CTA offers the purple line Express trains and these are about 40 minutes from Central Street (north Evanston) into the loop (Madison). According to the timetables online, it should be about 50 minutes from Linden in Wilmette to downtown.

The service hours are
Linden to Loop 'L'

5:20a-9:30a
2:30p-6:30p

Loop 'L' to Linden

6:00a-10:15a
3:15p-7:10p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs