U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 22,154 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a condo in Wheeling, specifically in the Arlington Club subdivision at the intersection of Dundee and Buffalo Grove Road. I liked the condo itself, but as I left the building after the showing, I noticed a post on the bulletin board that warned the residents of gypsies trying to break in as well as vehicle vandalism, so that got me worried.

I'll check the crime stats but also would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with the area. Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,055,514 times
Driving by and occasionally driving through, it seems like a nice area. There is an adjacent rental community but it is by no means a "low rent" district. Just curious, what is your budget?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 22,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Driving by and occasionally driving through, it seems like a nice area. There is an adjacent rental community but it is by no means a "low rent" district. Just curious, what is your budget?
My budget is between 120K-140K. I am debating between an older, smaller condo in Glenview vs. a newer, nicer townhome in Wheeling.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM

929 posts, read 1,697,297 times
From the handful of times I've ever passed through that area, I've gotten the impression that area isn't a bad one to live in. Seems like one where you'd have to be ready to rely on driving, since it appears to me that bus service near there is only limited to weekdays. Metra has a line that runs east of there(called North Central Service), but it is unfortunately one of only 2 Metra lines limited to weekday service(though I consider Southwest Service to be just as bad, since the schedule on Saturday is laughably bad, and it was till recently a weekday-only line too). Glenview would probably be better, if you want more than just bus service options, since Metra runs every day.

Good luck, with whatever you decide to choose.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango girl View Post
My budget is between 120K-140K. I am debating between an older, smaller condo in Glenview vs. a newer, nicer townhome in Wheeling.
There are some townhomes in Lake Arlington, but the 2 lowest $ ones are listing at $150K and $169K. Very nice neighborhood, walking distance to Lake Arlington and the 2 mile path around the 50 acre lake. Also have clubhouse with modest but decent fitness room, indoor/outdoor pool and tennis courts. No close by bus service. 10 minute drive to Metra North Central service and about 15 minutes to Metra NW line.
Still think it's one of the nicest town home developments in the Arlington Heights/Wheeling/Buffalo Grove area. It is a mixed development shared with single family homes instead of rental apartments.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM

23 posts, read 38,053 times
used to live in those apartments and moved away last year. i would move back, but i'm actually now looking to rent a house. it is a very nice community for that area. it's very close to buffalo grove, and arlington heights, highways, and some shopping. the malls are a little further. it is quiet and on an old golf course with a network of paved walking trails intertwining. there's a starbucks just across the street, or another a short couple minute drive away. it was perfect for me, but like i said, i've got several dogs and now just need something a little bigger. i know the area well, pm me if you have any more questions.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 PM

5,050 posts, read 5,980,993 times
if you are looking around the Buffalo Grove/Dundee area, the feel of the area is probably more like Buffalo Grove than Wheeling. Arl Club is north of Dundee and most of that area is Buf Gr, not Wheeling.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,767,382 times
It's a pleasant low crime area with not much character. My mother used to live right on that corner. You'll make friends more easily if you speak Russian.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Default Actually a pretty convenient location.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It's a pleasant low crime area with not much character. My mother used to live right on that corner. You'll make friends more easily if you speak Russian.
There is Pho U noodle shop, I Am Siam for good Thai/Chinese food, Grande Jakes for good Am/Mex food (good sweet/spicy mole) Dengeo's for quality fast food, Dairy Queen, True Value Hardware, Dominick's for groceries and a bunch of other places in walking distance. 5 minute drive to Sam's/WallyWorld, Mc Donald's, Target, Lou Malnati's and a bunch of other stores along Lake Cook Rd.
If you like to bike(easy trail ride), you are about a 3 mile ride from Buffalo Creek preserve located at Checker and Arlington Heights Rd. Also good place to walk/hike and run. If you are a"roadie" road cyclist, there is a pretty safe and easy way to get into Lake Co. and many good country roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or