U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,069,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Uh, not so. Chicago native here. Now in sunny Arizona. Realized just how bad the weather could get to ya, once you really thought about it. If you HAVE to be there, then try to make the best of it. If not, move somewhere else. We did.
That is a good personal choice. How we "live" weather varies from person to person. I am assuming you love very hot weather. As I get older, I don't care for snow and cold as much, but still enjoy it in small doses. BUT, my tolerance for very hot weather is also eroding so AZ might not work for me.
I actually think Chicago spring is worse than winter because the lake effect winds extends the cold too long for my tastes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM

2,883 posts, read 3,849,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
That is a good personal choice. How we "live" weather varies from person to person. I am assuming you love very hot weather. As I get older, I don't care for snow and cold as much, but still enjoy it in small doses. BUT, my tolerance for very hot weather is also eroding so AZ might not work for me.
I actually think Chicago spring is worse than winter because the lake effect winds extends the cold too long for my tastes.

Agree 100%, Arizona or Florida would be my idea of hell! I especially hate hot humid weather, but I have also heard horror stories about AZ summers. Just invest in a really warm coat that goes down at least to your knees, good snowboots, and try to find things about the area to enjoy.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,419,564 times
Here's some obvious but often overlooked advice... Get the right clothing. It's amazing how much easier the winter is to take if you have a good coat, good winter/snow boots, a warm hat, scarf and warm gloves. A lot of times people can't take the cold simply because they coat or boots are not warm enough. Get a waterproof down coat with at least 650 fill. Waterproof snow boots with as few stitched seams as possible, good brands include bogs and kamik. A fleece lined hat and waterproof gloves lined with insulation.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM

4,368 posts, read 6,257,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
No offense, some of Chicagoans are close minded or not very open to making new friends.
No offense, but you live 30 miles outside of Chicago (why, by the way?). If you're having trouble making friends near you, it's not Chicagoans but suburbanites you're having a hard time with. People in the suburbs are much more inwardly focused because they move there to start families and focus on their family, not to make friends.

People in the city are much more open to making friends in my experience. There are, of course, always exceptions, but I'm not the most outgoing person and I don't have trouble making friends in the city, but my experience in suburbs in general is much closer to your own. My brother lives in the suburbs, and all his friends there are people he met in the city who then moved to the suburbs. I can't think of any friends he has that he actually met in the suburbs.

Make your way into the city as often as you can. Check out festivals. Visit special events at the smaller museums. Right now there are some great holiday events - you should definitely check out Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza, and maybe some of the Christmas festivities in the Lincoln Square area. Come down to do window-shopping.

Even if you don't want to come into the city, I'm sure Naperville must have some special holiday events. Check those out. See who plans them and find out what else is coming up in the spring and see if you can help the planning committee as a volunteer - it's a great way to meet people.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 3,278,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Here's some obvious but often overlooked advice... Get the right clothing. It's amazing how much easier the winter is to take if you have a good coat, good winter/snow boots, a warm hat, scarf and warm gloves. A lot of times people can't take the cold simply because they coat or boots are not warm enough. Get a waterproof down coat with at least 650 fill. Waterproof snow boots with as few stitched seams as possible, good brands include bogs and kamik. A fleece lined hat and waterproof gloves lined with insulation.
Great advice. I have several coats and jackets that cover all three of the colder seasons, sweaters of varying thicknesses, some of which cover my neck; a light scarf and a heavy scarf; light and heavy caps; ear muffs; a face mask for when it's very cold; YakTrax for when it's icy; hunting boots for when it's really snowy; heavy socks; long underwear. I have ragg gloves, and two types of insulated gloves, and glove liners for extra warmth. My hands still get cold sometimes, but mostly if you have the right equipment, the winter is not only easy to take but even enjoyable.

And this from a guy who's turning 65 and really would rather be living back in the Carolinas.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,749,025 times
Man is such a silly fool,
when it's hot, he wants it cool,
And when it's cool, he wants it hot,
And what it is, he wants it NOT!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 PM

10,293 posts, read 12,425,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Man is such a silly fool,
when it's hot, he wants it cool,
And when it's cool, he wants it hot,
And what it is, he wants it NOT!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,980,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Great advice. I have several coats and jackets that cover all three of the colder seasons, sweaters of varying thicknesses, some of which cover my neck; a light scarf and a heavy scarf; light and heavy caps; ear muffs; a face mask for when it's very cold; YakTrax for when it's icy; hunting boots for when it's really snowy; heavy socks; long underwear. I have ragg gloves, and two types of insulated gloves, and glove liners for extra warmth.
Anyone even contemplating a move to Chicago should read the above list... and change your mind!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,781,281 times
There's this thing called a lightbulb.
It makes light.

There are these things called coats.
They keep you warm while outside.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
There's this thing called a lightbulb.
It makes light.

There are these things called coats.
They keep you warm while outside.
It's like magic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs