Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:24 AM

13 posts, read 40,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Anyone even contemplating a move to Chicago should read the above list... and change your mind!
i am moving to naperville at the end of december. what is the best store to buy all these clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Lands End...

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
^^AND isn't Lan'd End owned by Sears? AND, $$ at Dicks's and Sporting Authority can be just about as expensive as the "yuppie" stores if you don't buy on sale.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they've helped a lot and it's good to see that other people feel the same way about the winter and sympathize, my husband was like "Get over it". That did not help at all.
Well, maybe this will give you a glimmer of hope... December 21st is the shortest day of the year. So, a week from today the days will start getting longer again. I don't know why, but that is something I always look forward to.

My husband and I have lived in this area all our lives. He definitely gets SAD in the winters; I imagine it would be worse if he had lived in a place like Florida most of his life prior to living here. To help him, we got a special dimmer switch that is controlled wirelessly by a computer program that you can customize. It starts turning the lights on about an hour and a half before we actually get up, and that seems to help my husband a lot. I'll ask him where he got it and post the link, it's a pretty cool program and was MUCH cheaper than the lightboxes and other remedies that his doctors suggested to him to help with SAD.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,993,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
i am moving to naperville at the end of december. what is the best store to buy all these clothes?
Don't over do the clothes. I like burlington coat factory, but after december the selection of coats can be a bit slim everywhere(the stores start getting ready for spring even if spring is months away!). What you need now is a heavy coat and a heavy jacket as well as gloves, hat, scarft. If you don't have them already.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,164,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What a Yuppie ! You can get the same stuff (and usually better quality) and MUCH cheaper at a sporting goods store or even Sears !
Lands End is now owned by Sears. And for the record, my farmer's-wife, rural Idaho, grew-up-in-a-silver-mining-now-ghost-town, lived-through-the-depression, super-frugal grandmother used to buy all those brands when she was still alive because she considered them a good value due to their quality. And she also would shop at Sears and farmers' supply stores and KMart, and considered the local Mexican place to be fine dining. She's about as opposite "yuppie" as an American could possibly be.

I did like your earlier poem, though.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,047,659 times
Got exactly the responses I was hoping for !

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I would hardly call those stores "yuppie" stores. They have some high quality, long lasting products.
I have never heard of these stores. I guess I'm a south sider..

You can go to Sears and get some nice leather Docker gloves though.

Edit:

WOW! And I thought I was mentioning a product that was a little pricey! It's actually less than half the price of a similar product from LL Bean:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/509510?nav=ln-509510

Last edited by urza216; 12-15-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Here's some additional places to buy good winter gear on the cheap (though it might not be as "stylish" as what you'd get at L.L.Bean's or Eddie Bauers): Menard's in Naperville; Blain's Farm and Fleet in Montgomery. I just bought a pair of hunting boots at Dick's in Lombard on sale, but you want to hit there for the sales since they're otherwise pricey. Another place I frequent is Kohl's, where you can usually get good prices on sale items.

It's funny to me, hearing L.L. Bean's and Eddie Bauer's described as a yuppie store ... back in the old days they were stores catering to hunters, hikers, and various outdoor types. Now they cater to yuppies who just want to look like hunters and hikers. I will say this ... I have several pieces of clothing I've purchased from Bauer's and Bean's, and they're well made and warm, and they hold up well over time. But I don't think their quality's the same as it was 40 years ago.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Here's some additional places to buy good winter gear on the cheap (though it might not be as "stylish" as what you'd get at L.L.Bean's or Eddie Bauers): Menard's in Naperville; Blain's Farm and Fleet in Montgomery. I just bought a pair of hunting boots at Dick's in Lombard on sale, but you want to hit there for the sales since they're otherwise pricey. Another place I frequent is Kohl's, where you can usually get good prices on sale items.

It's funny to me, hearing L.L. Bean's and Eddie Bauer's described as a yuppie store ... back in the old days they were stores catering to hunters, hikers, and various outdoor types. Now they cater to yuppies who just want to look like hunters and hikers. I will say this ... I have several pieces of clothing I've purchased from Bauer's and Bean's, and they're well made and warm, and they hold up well over time. But I don't think their quality's the same as it was 40 years ago.
This is true, I think it all started when they had "outdoor chic" and those Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer/Expeditions etc.
As to where to get the clothes... I would suggest Sports Authority or a TJ Maxx for some deals. But any of those stores should have that stuff. Pick your poison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs