U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,352,550 times
Reputation: 2017

Advertisements

If you are moving to somewhere in the Chicago area, anywhere in thr Chicago area, assume you are gonna have to buy a village/city sticker. Not just Cook County or even anywhere near the city limits. I live far away from Evanston. I haven't stepped foot in Evanston in years. But if I moved to Evanston, I would just assume I needed to buy a city sticker. I wouldn't need to look on the website nor would I wait for anyone to say anything to me. It's a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
 
49 posts, read 106,936 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Geez, all this over a $35-$50 city sticker?
Well, it's an interesting debate, and in my opinion, both sides here have raised some valid point.

I happen to agree that we are losing our most prescious rights, one right at a time, along with the importance of asserting your consitutional rights.

However, I also believe you should "choose your battles wisely" and I don't believe this particular issue is appropriate for this particular type of battle.

Most people who live in Chicagoland realize that parking problems exist, and that these stickers are important, and aren't just about raising revenue for the government.

Especially if you live close to the "loop" or in a section, with business, shopping and industry close by. Those stickers are specific for the section of the city you reside in, and entitle residents only to utilize the free street parking, while visitors are basically required to pay, either at metered parking, or in a garage. The police often ticket non-stickered vehicles agressively, because the residents want them to.

Especially in sections such as Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, etc, where many residents live in 3 and 6 flats with ZERO off-street parking. Residents can obtain daily parking stickers for their visiting friends. They come in packs of 10, and the cost is fairly steep. Even with those resident and daily parking stickers, combined with agressive ticketing for vehicles without them, we sometimes have to spend half an hour or more trying to find an open parking spot on the street. Imagine what it's like to have to do that every night when you come home from work.

I don't believe this case is winable on constitutional grounds, not in Chicagoland, in my opinion, of course.

Again, you should always choose your battles wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
 
49 posts, read 106,936 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
As I stated earler, we loose our rights "one " at a time. Now I ask one last question, Was it not worth the time to fight?.
For the reasons stated directly above, no, I do not feel this particular issue is worth the time to fight, because I do not feel it is winable, and most likely, taking this particular issue to court, would only serve to annoy the judge, and/or jury.

The good battle is one you win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
I moved up here a while back and the condo I am renting comes with a dedicated parking spot on a private property. I don't use my car often since i walk to work. I got a ticket this morning for not having an Evanston decal. Am I still required to a decal even though i don't park on the street? No one's told me that I needed to have a decal, what are my chances to fight it?

My most amusement is that the cop drove to a private dead end street just to give tickets.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
The decal isn't for parking on the street. It's a tax for owning a car while residing in the city no matter where you park it or how often you drive it. Pay up and get a sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
YEP ! Tell him to take a hike! he has no jurisdiction on private property #1 and #2 demand that the police provide you with a verified complaint on the ticket. That is your constitutional right Dure process right under U.S. Title 42, 1983( also you have a right to face your accuser and have HIM/HER, STATE HIS/HER INJURY. without that there is no issue.
You really need to stop giving legal opinions and advice about matters and jurisdictions you know nothing about, because every time you do you're invariably wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
 
49 posts, read 106,936 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The decal isn't for parking on the street. It's a tax for owning a car while residing in the city no matter where you park it or how often you drive it. Pay up and get a sticker.
I'm sorry, but that's not true. Those stickers are for where you live, and where you park.

If you live in Lincoln Park, and park in Wrigleyville without a Wrigleyville sticker, you will get a ticket (if the police happen to be ticketing that day.) Those stickers are resident stickers, entitling you to park only where you live.

My sticker only entitles me to park in MY town. I can't use it for parking in Evansille, or Chicago, or any other area. However, I can park in Evansville on public streets and parking lots, which are not reserved for residents. So can any and everyone else.

Now, a lot of my neighbors have lived in their homes for 20 years or more, have never gotten stickers, and never gotten any tickets for not buying a sticker. Know why? Because they don't park either on the street or in their driveways. They have garages, pull inside, and shut the door behind them. Your vehicle has to be visible from the street for the police to ticket, and they can't go looking inside your garage.

I have a garage too, but can't use it because it's cram packed with my husband's tools and equipment. You could build a house from scratch inside my garage.

When I first moved here, I didn't know about the stickers, ended up with a ticket, and did a lot of complaining and reserch. After doing the research, and talking to my neighbors, I reached the conclusion that in reality, the stickers are actually beneficial, so I paid the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,520 posts, read 11,970,918 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
I'm sorry, but that's not true. Those stickers are for where you live, and where you park.

If you live in Lincoln Park, and park in Wrigleyville without a Wrigleyville sticker, you will get a ticket (if the police happen to be ticketing that day.) Those stickers are resident stickers, entitling you to park only where you live.

My sticker only entitles me to park in MY town. I can't use it for parking in Evansille, or Chicago, or any other area. However, I can park in Evansville on public streets and parking lots, which are not reserved for residents. So can any and everyone else.

Now, a lot of my neighbors have lived in their homes for 20 years or more, have never gotten stickers, and never gotten any tickets for not buying a sticker. Know why? Because they don't park either on the street or in their driveways. They have garages, pull inside, and shut the door behind them. Your vehicle has to be visible from the street for the police to ticket, and they can't go looking inside your garage.

I have a garage too, but can't use it because it's cram packed with my husband's tools and equipment. You could build a house from scratch inside my garage.

When I first moved here, I didn't know about the stickers, ended up with a ticket, and did a lot of complaining and reserch. After doing the research, and talking to my neighbors, I reached the conclusion that in reality, the stickers are actually beneficial, so I paid the ticket.
I'm sorry but you're wrong. In Chicago every car needs to have a city sticker. If you wish to park within a zoned parking area, you need to pay for a zoned parking permit IN ADDITION to the city sticker. I don't know the particulars about your suburb, but in mine (Oak Park), and every other suburb nearby, all cars garaged in town are legally required to have a sticker. Just because you haven't gotten caught yet doesn't change your legal obligation.

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html
http://www.oak-park.us/parking/vehicle_stickers.html
http://elmhurst.org/index.aspx?NID=218
http://www.cityofevanston.org/parking/vehicle-stickers/
http://www.wilmette.com/departments/...estickers.aspx
http://www.parkridge.us/faq/default.aspx#86

Here's Glendale Heights
http://www.glendaleheights.org/GenIn...estickers.html
"Per Village Code 11-7-1, all vehicles registered to the Village are required to have a valid vehicle sticker. "

Last edited by oakparkdude; 12-14-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
I'm sorry, but that's not true. Those stickers are for where you live, and where you park.
No they're not. Permit-restricted street parking is a separate issue altogether. Whether you live in a permit zone or not, you still need a city sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
If you live in Lincoln Park, and park in Wrigleyville without a Wrigleyville sticker, you will get a ticket (if the police happen to be ticketing that day.) Those stickers are resident stickers, entitling you to park only where you live.
No matter where you park, if your car is registered in the city, you are required to have a city sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
My sticker only entitles me to park in MY town. I can't use it for parking in Evansille, or Chicago, or any other area. However, I can park in Evansville on public streets and parking lots, which are not reserved for residents. So can any and everyone else.
We're not talking about a parking sticker. We're talking about a car ownership tax that applies to anyone whose car is registered in the city of Evanston, irrespective of where they park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Now, a lot of my neighbors have lived in their homes for 20 years or more, have never gotten stickers, and never gotten any tickets for not buying a sticker. Know why? Because they don't park either on the street or in their driveways. They have garages, pull inside, and shut the door behind them. Your vehicle has to be visible from the street for the police to ticket, and they can't go looking inside your garage.
Around here, we call those people "tax evaders" and they're vulnerable to tickets and steep fines any time they take their car out of the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
I have a garage too, but can't use it because it's cram packed with my husband's tools and equipment. You could build a house from scratch inside my garage.

When I first moved here, I didn't know about the stickers, ended up with a ticket, and did a lot of complaining and reserch. After doing the research, and talking to my neighbors, I reached the conclusion that in reality, the stickers are actually beneficial, so I paid the ticket.
Beneficial or not, the city has the OP dead to rights and (s)he needs to pay up before the fine gets even bigger and (s)he gets even more tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
 
49 posts, read 106,936 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I'm sorry but you're wrong. In Chicago every car needs to have a city sticker. If you wish to park within a zoned parking area, you need to pay for a zoned parking permit IN ADDITION to the city sticker. I don't know the particulars about your suburb, but in mine (Oak Park), and every other suburb nearby, all cars garaged in town are legally required to have a sticker. Just because you haven't gotten caught yet doesn't change your legal obligation.
I did my research by going to the police station, and talking to the officers, along with an attorney, and this is what they told me.

Real truth is though, I extended my research, and found out the entire village code had never officially been signed into law, so I actually could have fought that ticket, and won, on that basis. I didn't use that information on this particular issue, but did on another matter, and won my case in court on that basis.

Here's the sticker requirement for Oak Park.

Quote:
All vehicles owned by Oak Park residents must display a current vehicle sticker. Vehicles leased or owned by businesses but stored in Oak Park overnight and on weekends must display a valid sticker as well.
Notice that it says that residents must DISPLAY a current vehicle sticker, not that they are required to obtain one. Note also that this ordinance goes on to state that it applies to any vehicle stored in Oak Park overnight as well.

A sticker is only "on display" when, and if, it happens to be sitting on a vehicle, parked in public view. That the legal intent that this be applied to parking, seems pretty obvious by the sentence which follows the first.

You disagree? Well guess what. Whenever there is an ambiguity in a contract or law, the court is required to find against the one who wrote that contract or law. That is one of the most basic legal principles there is.

If an officer gave me a ticket for not having a sticker, simply because I owned a vehcle, there is no question that I would take it to court, and I would win.

If my vehicle had been parked in my garage when I got that ticket, not only would I have taken it to court, but I probably would have had a pretty good lawsuit, which I would have pursued, and that's aside from reporting that officer to internal affairs for abusing their authority by looking in my garage window, because to do something like that, they'd need a search order signed by a judge, and I don't see many (if any) judges granting such an order, not for a vehicle sticker. Of course, I don't see that happening regardless, because the vast overwhelming majority of police officers do not engage in such behavior.

Prior to hiring, police officers are usually subjected to a barage of psychological tests, to ensure that they do not possess any undesireable traits, and the very few who just might slip through? In my opinion, they really do need to be reported to Internal Affairs and reassessed.

I paid that ticket because my vehcile was parked in public view, so the officer who gave it to me was in the right, and totally justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,033 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Reputation: 7395
Wow. I don't believe all the passion over this. Well, it's a free country: the OP can choose to fight it, and hire a fleet of lawyers. So can the rest of you, if it's important to you. Me, I have better things to do than spend my day going to court to fight something that's the result of my own choice of domicile.

That is, you could check a town's ordinances before you decide to move there, and choose to live in a town that doesn't require a sticker. I live in a town that doesn't have an auto sticker requirement, but they do require stickers for yard waste. It's my choice to live in a community that does so ... just as it's my choice to continue living in a blue state run by corrupt machine politicians. If I don't like it, I'll move elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top