U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,520 posts, read 11,969,207 times
Reputation: 3820

Advertisements

If your car is ever pulled over for a moving violation, you can also be ticketed for not having the appropriate city sticker. Its absolutely true that the police will not (or at least should not) come onto your private property to check for sticker compliance. But unless you plan to never drive or park your car on a public right of way, if you are not in compliance you run the risk of being ticketed.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
 
49 posts, read 106,916 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Here's Glendale Heights
Village of Glendale Heights - General Information
"Per Village Code 11-7-1, all vehicles registered to the Village are required to have a valid vehicle sticker. "
My vehicles are registered IN the state of Illinois. Only 1 of my vehicles are registered TO the village. The way in which a vehicle becomes registered TO a village or township, is by buying a vehicle sticker.

Note that I said vehicles. I also own a number of properties, which are located in various counties, one of which is in the state of Florida, another is in Saint Charles.

The vehicle I keep in Saint Charles is registered to Saint Charles, because that's where I keep that vehicle. The vehicle I keep in Florida, well, non residents are not required to register with that state.

Now, if I received a ticket for not having stickers on my vehicles which are neither registered or located in this village, I believe that would constitute harrassment, and especially if any officer would actually give such a ticket would also accuse me of "tax evasion"? Oh, I do believe my attorney would have a field day.

Of course, I don't know any officers who would abuse their authority in such a manner.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,520 posts, read 11,969,207 times
Reputation: 3820
That's nice that you have multiple vehicles residing at multiple properties. I don't think anyone would argue that your Florida vehicle should have a Glendale Heights sticker. I'm not sure how that's relevant, though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
 
49 posts, read 106,916 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No they're not. Permit-restricted street parking is a separate issue altogether. Whether you live in a permit zone or not, you still need a city sticker.
That's still not true. It's where you keep your vehicle, and if you keep it in public view.

Quote:
No matter where you park, if your car is registered in the city, you are required to have a city sticker.
Once again, the sticker is HOW you register. If you didn't buy a sticker, then that vehicle is registered with the state, not the city, village or township.

Quote:
We're not talking about a parking sticker. We're talking about a car ownership tax that applies to anyone whose car is registered in the city of Evanston, irrespective of where they park.
Sorry, but that would not fly in a court of law. Again, wording ambiguity is resolved in favor of the party who was not involved in the writing.

Quote:
Around here, we call those people "tax evaders" and they're vulnerable to tickets and steep fines any time they take their car out of the garage.
Really? If you're an officer of the court, have fun justifying that one to the judge, along with internal affairs.

You know, when I was young and poor, one time an officer pulled me over, and called my car a "rolling junk heap". I told the judge about it in court, and he threw out the ticket, and had the officer suspended, on that basis alone.

Quote:
Beneficial or not, the city has the OP dead to rights and (s)he needs to pay up before the fine gets even bigger and (s)he gets even more tickets.
In this particular case I agree, but not with the rest of your claims.

Last edited by sarabeth1111; 12-14-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM
 
49 posts, read 106,916 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If your car is ever pulled over for a moving violation, you can also be ticketed for not having the appropriate city sticker. Its absolutely true that the police will not (or at least should not) come onto your private property to check for sticker compliance. But unless you plan to never drive or park your car on a public right of way, if you are not in compliance you run the risk of being ticketed.
Ya think? If that was true, then we would all be required to have stickers for every town, village, and city zone we drove through.

Quote:
That's nice that you have multiple vehicles residing at multiple properties. I don't think anyone would argue that your Florida vehicle should have a Glendale Heights sticker. I'm not sure how that's relevant, though.
The reason it's relevant is because police officers really do normally issue these types of tickets in direct response to complaints, and if you tried taking such a ticket to court, and requested a "verified complaint", the officer probably could produce such a complaint, if not a number of them.

Quote:
Wow. I don't believe all the passion over this. Well, it's a free country: the OP can choose to fight it, and hire a fleet of lawyers. So can the rest of you, if it's important to you. Me, I have better things to do than spend my day going to court to fight something that's the result of my own choice of domicile.
In this particular case, I believe that the poster who stated "ignorance is no excuse" is correct, and that's what most likely would prevail in court.

Quote:
That is, you could check a town's ordinances before you decide to move there, and choose to live in a town that doesn't require a sticker. I live in a town that doesn't have an auto sticker requirement, but they do require stickers for yard waste. It's my choice to live in a community that does so ... just as it's my choice to continue living in a blue state run by corrupt machine politicians. If I don't like it, I'll move elsewhere.
We don't actually have sticker requirements for yard waste, but yard waste is required to be placed in bags designated for such purposes, which basically, you have to purchase. Why? Because those bags are biodegradable, and I believe they're placed in a separate section for composting purposes.

I also have better things to do with my time than go to court over vehicle stickers, but the rest of fighter1's information? Really don't believe it's wise to trivialize constitutional rights, and you may want to keep his information in mind, because you never know when it just might come in handy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,481 posts, read 10,053,895 times
Reputation: 2784
Sarabeth, were you on the debate team?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
 
49 posts, read 106,916 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Sarabeth, were you on the debate team?
Which one?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
That's still not true. It's where you keep your vehicle, and if you keep it in public view.
No, it's not. It makes no difference whether you keep it in public view or whether it never leaves your garage. The ordinance makes no such distinction.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Once again, the sticker is HOW you register. If you didn't buy a sticker, then that vehicle is registered with the state, not the city, village or township.
No, it's not. It's where your car is registered with the state. Even that doesn't make a difference in some jurisdictions; the city of Chicago for instance doesn't care where you've actually registered the car; if it's principally used and/or garaged in Chicago you're required to buy a city sticker even if it's registered in Guam. That may also be the case in Evanston but I didn't read the ordinance thoroughly enough to tell for sure because I'm not that invested in this argument.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Sorry, but that would not fly in a court of law. Again, wording ambiguity is resolved in favor of the party who was not involved in the writing.
I promise you, the City of Evanston's wording in the municipal code with respect to the city sticker flies in court quite regularly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Really? If you're an officer of the court, have fun justifying that one to the judge, along with internal affairs.

You know, when I was young and poor, one time an officer pulled me over, and called my car a "rolling junk heap". I told the judge about it in court, and he threw out the ticket, and had the officer suspended, on that basis alone.
Aside from the fact that your story is pure BS, I have no idea how the hell this even relates to what I said, so, uh, OK. Whatever you say.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
In this particular case I agree, but not with the rest of your claims.
So why bother with the drawn-out debate if you agree the OP needs to pay up and get a sticker?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
 
49 posts, read 106,916 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, it's not. It makes no difference whether you keep it in public view or whether it never leaves your garage. The ordinance makes no such distinction.
Oh Please. Just for fun, I went to the Evanston website and here's what it actually says:

Quote:

1) Vehicle stickers:
All vehicles registered to a City of Evanston address, must display a valid vehicle sticker. These are purchased online or thru Collector’s Office (Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave.). Note that many of you that have recently registered your vehicle in a different state may keep your same plates as long as you do not re-register to Illinois. Once you register your vehicle here, you must purchase a City of Evanston vehicle sticker. (Penalty is $50.00 plus a $20 additional fee if not paid within 10 days.).

If your registration ends, 11/15/2010 and you want to register your vehicle in Evanston, you may purchase a 2011 sticker and start displaying in right away, in place of getting a 2010 AND a 2011 sticker!
So, even in Evanston, if you register your vehicle in another state, you can keep the same plates, as long as you do not re-register to Illinois, and only have to purchase an Evanston vehicle sticker, ONCE you register your vehicle there.

And even once your registration ends and if you WANT to register your vehicle in Evanton, you MAY purchase a 2011 sticker.....yeah, that's pretty ambiguous.

The word "may" is not a synonym for "must", and that particular requirement applies only ONCE you've registered your vehicle in Evanston, and even at that, it only applies to Evanston. Actually, very little about that ordinance sounds much like a requirement to me, unless of course, you WANT to register your vehicle in Evanston.

Now, as far as the parking sticker requirement in Evanston goes.

Quote:
2) Residential parking stickers:
For those of you required to park your vehicle along the streets, you will ALSO require a Residential Parking Sticker based on street/address. Permit District Letter/Number found by Street: City of Evanston Parking Districts
The residential parking sticker requirement in Evanston only applies to "those of you required to park your vehicle along the streets". The original poster clearly stated that he was parked on private property, not on the street, so the requirement for a parking sticker does not apply.

Quote:
No, it's not. It's where your car is registered with the state. Even that doesn't make a difference in some jurisdictions; the city of Chicago for instance doesn't care where you've actually registered the car; if it's principally used and/or garaged in Chicago you're required to buy a city sticker even if it's registered in Guam. That may also be the case in Evanston but I didn't read the ordinance thoroughly enough to tell for sure because I'm not that invested in this argument.
Sounds more like you went and looked the ordinances for the City of Chicago, but claim not to have looked up Evanston because it didn't support your case, is that about right?

Quote:
I promise you, the City of Evanston's wording in the municipal code with respect to the city sticker flies in court quite regularly.
I have no doubt it does, only in the manner I just explained it, not in the way you claim.

Most people don't take that type of ticket to court, but after reading that wording, I'll bet that if they did, an awful lot of them would win.

Quote:
Aside from the fact that your story is pure BS, I have no idea how the hell this even relates to what I said, so, uh, OK. Whatever you say.
Sorry, but I'm not the one who just omitted relevant information in this argument, and in a real court of law, that's bound to cost you credibility in the eyes of both a judge, as well as a jury. When the intent is to deceive, an ommission is the same as a lie. I'm not the one engaging in BS here.

Now, if the original poster lives in Evanston, seems to me, he just might have a case.

After all, if he was parked on private property and the ticket he received was for not having a parking decal, well, then he definitely has a winnable case, because parking decals are only required if you park on the street. That one's a "no brainer".

If he just moved to Evanston recently and his registration had not ended, and he had not re-registered in Evanston, then he might still have a case! Especially if he has a legitimate reason for not registering in Evanston, such as if he owns a business elsewhere, where that vehicle is primarily used, and registration in that area is necessary, to obtain the right to park at his business location.

Now that I've read the ordinances for Evanston, I think the original poster might want to go see an attorney to assess his chances of winning in court.

Quote:
So why bother with the drawn-out debate if you agree the OP needs to pay up and get a sticker?
Actually, after reading the relevant ordinances for Evanston, I'm no longer so sure about that.

If I was him, I'd check the ordinance number on that ticket that he was cited for supposedly violating. I'd almost be willing to bet money it was for not having a parking decal. If so, and he takes it to court, he WILL prevail. No if, ands, or buts about it.

I hope the original poster checks his ticket and lets us know which ordinance number is on it. This is getting good.

Last edited by sarabeth1111; 12-14-2011 at 10:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Oh Please. Just for fun, I went to the Evanston website and here's what it actually says:



So, even in Evanston, if you register your vehicle in another state, you can keep the same plates, as long as you do not re-register to Illinois, and only have to purchase an Evanston vehicle sticker, ONCE you register your vehicle there.

And even once your registration ends and if you WANT to register your vehicle in Evanton, you MAY purchase a 2011 sticker.....

The word "may" is not a synonym for "must", and that particular requirement applies only ONCE you've registered your vehicle in Evanston, and even at that, it only applies to Evanston.
Aside from the fact that what you quoted isn't the actual ordinance, there is nothing in the section you quoted that contradicts a single word of what I have said. The quote you provided still states any car registered in Evanston must have an Evanston sticker just as I said, and it still makes no distinction between whether you keep it in plain view or not, just as I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Now, as far as the parking sticker requirement in Evanston goes.



The parking sticker requirement in Evanston only applies to "those of you required to park your vehicle along the streets".
You might be confusing two different requirements. The wheel tax is not the same as a vehicle parking sticker.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Sounds more like you went and looked the ordinances for the City of Chicago, but claim not to have looked up Evanston because it didn't support your case, is that about right?
Nope, not quite. Maybe I could be like you and try to pass off information posted on a college website as the Evanston city ordnance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
I have no doubt it does, only in the manner I just explained it, not in the way you claim.
So you do in fact agree with me that the ordinance is not so ambiguous that it won't pass legal scrutiny. Thank you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Sorry, but I'm not the one who just omitted relevant information in this argument, and in a real court of law, that's bound to cost you credibility in the eyes of both a judge, as well as a jury. I'm not the one here engaging in BS.
Once again I don't even know what the hell you're talking about or how it's relevant to the OP's situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
Now, if the original poster lives in Evanston, seems to me, he just might have a case. After all, if he was parked on private property and the ticket he received was for not having a parking decal well, then he definitely has a winnable cas, because parking decals are only required if you park on the street. That one's a "no brainer".
If that's what he got the ticket for, then you're right. But if he got it for not having the city sticker which is likely the case, (s)he's nailed unless his/her legitimate permanent residence is elsewhere and his/her car is registered there. The language of the ordinance -- the actual ordinance and not some text taken from a university website mind you -- suggests that's his/her best hope of an out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth1111 View Post
If he just moved to Evanston recently and his registration had not ended, and he had not re-registered in Evanston, then he might still have a case! Especially if he has a legitimate reason for not registering in Evanston, such as if he owns a business elsewhere, where that vehicle is primarily used, and registration in that area is necessary, to obtain the right to park at his business location.

Now that I've read the ordinances for Evanston, I think the original poster might want to go see an attorney to assess his chances of winning in court.




Actually, after reading the relevant ordinances for Evanston, I'm no longer so sure about that.
If the OP has a legitimate reason for having the vehcile registered outside of Evanston, such as the Evanston address being temporary (like if OP is a student), then the OP may have an out. If the OP's car is registered in Evanston or is required to be, (s)he's nailed.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top