Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desibear View Post
I've had friends buy in Inverness as well. HUGE house (we are talking almost 3000 sq ft w/o counting the basement) for around $650'ish. But the place seems very bland, with each house looking like the next, little to no trees in at least their sub-div, and lot of wasted footage inside the house as well. Still, I suppose there are worse places to be...
3,000 sq. ft is nice, but not that big anymore these days. You should see the 20K sq. ft monsters they have in Barrington, etc. You want really big? Check out Mike Tyson's old residence in Connecticut, it was over 56K sq. ft!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibear View Post
I've had friends buy in Inverness as well. HUGE house (we are talking almost 3000 sq ft w/o counting the basement) for around $650'ish. But the place seems very bland, with each house looking like the next, little to no trees in at least their sub-div, and lot of wasted footage inside the house as well. Still, I suppose there are worse places to be...
That sounds like a subdivision.The older ones In Inverness with acerage are nice, heavily wooded,rolling,very pretty.Wasted footage? Yes,thats par for many a McMansion

Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM

145 posts, read 643,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
3,000 sq. ft is nice, but not that big anymore these days. You should see the 20K sq. ft monsters they have in Barrington, etc. You want really big? Check out Mike Tyson's old residence in Connecticut, it was over 56K sq. ft!
Agreed that the celebrity houses are monsters but for every day folks, I would contend that 3000 sq ft is way more than needed for a typical family of 4. Most of the space I have seen in McMansions is wasted on formal living rooms, formal dining rooms, etc..space that a family now a days will hardly ever need for themselves. I saw a condo 2 months ago that had 2200 sq. feet and my jaw about dropped wondering what in the world would I do with all this space. So that's where I'm coming from but you do bring an interesting point up about what is considered a big house now a days. I'll post that as a separate thread so as to not hijack this one.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 AM

Can you spell "BOLOGNEY"? (or is it bologna?) I think you should learn to spell the name of your sub division correctly now since the schools are "better" in St Charles. Everyone reading this be aware that its vacation for kids now, some of them are bored I guess.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitariboo View Post
Hi, I'd like to input saying well yes barrington is a wealthy neighborhood. I live in South Barrington and my house is way well over a million dollars. I do live in the new money soceity since our neighborhood, falquan lakes is about ready to finish being built. I live in the exact corner of Alqoquin road and Barrington road. (Hopefully there's no stalkers lurking this site. I do trust you all.)

I don't attend Barrington High School though. Even though we live in South Barrington, my parents went out and bought about over a half million dollar home in Saint Charles so I can go to school there. (Better schools)

Saying, when my friends have visited me in my south barrington estate and after a few visits I'm now known as the 'richest kid in saint charles'. I semi believe this claim.

After seeing my neighbor owns a lamborghini down my street, a B96 crew member also lives down my street, and a well oversized home being currently built wraps the end court by my house.

I do hate braggers, and yet I catch myself doing it all because peers lead me to it, its like they set me up. And no I'm not ****ting with you, I do live in which I believe is a +4 million dollar house, not including my saint charles home, and my fathers ex wifes home, [also in south barrington but smaller neighborhood (stoneridge)].

Conclusion is, south barrington to what I've heard and seen and personally live it, is a well, whealthy, rich area.
I dont know what you're trying to prove with this post, other than that you're young, sheltered, spoiled and reinforce the negative stereotypes I have of the area. Sounds like typical inferiority-complex "new money" to me...

Last edited by via chicago; 01-04-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 AM

I think someone is pulling our chain.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
interesting all the things people just think....

I definitley don't think of Barrington as "new money" quite the oppostie and I am very, well...connected to the area. South Barrington IS the exception.

People do not usually realize (as many have pointed out) that Barrington does not equal Barrington Hills, South Barrington, North Barrington, Lake Barrington or Port Barrington...etc.

They are unified in a lot of ways, but they are separate municipalities....and I can honestly say that South Barrington stands out the most as "different"

And I agree with Nanannie.....its kinda hard to brag about your wealth in Barrington Hills unless you consider rolling hills and wildlife "showing off"

Most of the houses can't even be seen and its this attitude I find most prevalent in the Barringtons (Again, not south barrington)...most people are involved in the community, are well dressed but not overly so....low key, charitable people that pride themselves in maintaining that sort of attitude....

New money? have you really spent much time here? passing through the intersection of 72/barrington road doesn't much count...

Anyway...yes Barrington is a great place to get a transfer to!! It is a bit quiet but still one of my favorite places in the area....and so nice and safe.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
interesting all the things people just think....

I definitley don't think of Barrington as "new money" quite the oppostie and I am very, well...connected to the area. South Barrington IS the exception.

People do not usually realize (as many have pointed out) that Barrington does not equal Barrington Hills, South Barrington, North Barrington, Lake Barrington or Port Barrington...etc.

They are unified in a lot of ways, but they are separate municipalities....and I can honestly say that South Barrington stands out the most as "different"

And I agree with Nanannie.....its kinda hard to brag about your wealth in Barrington Hills unless you consider rolling hills and wildlife "showing off"

Most of the houses can't even be seen and its this attitude I find most prevalent in the Barringtons (Again, not south barrington)...most people are involved in the community, are well dressed but not overly so....low key, charitable people that pride themselves in maintaining that sort of attitude....

New money? have you really spent much time here? passing through the intersection of 72/barrington road doesn't much count...

Anyway...yes Barrington is a great place to get a transfer to!! It is a bit quiet but still one of my favorite places in the area....and so nice and safe.
Written by someone who knows what he/she is talking about. Good post-- an honest and intelligent summation about "The Barringtons".

Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Moved from Elk Grove a long time ago but remember Barrington as a very pretty area.

But I did watch an episode of City Confidential and it was about Barrington Hills. It called it "horse country" and mentioned 5 acre lot minimums. That caught my ear. I'm in Dallas now and several area towns had 1 acre minimums which some people think is a lot (and everything is supposed to be bigger in Texas). Well, one of the cities was sued because of the lot minimums saying that it was discriminatory. Apparently minorities are poor, too poor to buy acre lots. So the city had to change that. I didn't quite understand as my neighborhood is very diverse and most could have afforded those same acre lot homes.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 AM

We still are 5 acre min, and have been fighting a developer trying to change that for some time. Such few areas like this left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs