U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 PM

4,367 posts, read 6,248,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I'd only commute from Lake View if I could work from home a few days a week, or I had the ability to have a much earlier schedule. Chicago surface streets suck during traditional rush hour. Especially near Lake View and Lincoln Park, gridlock is a common occurrance.
If her job is near a Purple Line stop and she works something close to "normal" hours most of the time, then living near Belmont and commuting to Evanston wouldn't be bad. It would be about a 30 minute train ride and no transfer during rush hours, and northbound from Belmont likely has seats available most mornings so you could read or whatever instead of deal with traffic in a car. If you're planning to drive, you may as well stick to Evanston or maybe western portions of Andersonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 PM

10 posts, read 29,966 times
Thanks everyone, your comments have been so helpful. I'm in Chicago this weekend looking for a place. I'm optimistic that I will find something. If I don't, then I'm stuck with hotel living for awhile and I definitely do not want to do that! I will have a car, however, I do not plan to drive to work everyday. I want the ability to hop on the purple line and get to work fairly easily (within a 30 minute) train ride. I will definitely check out Andersonville also. Thanks again!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM

10 posts, read 29,966 times
Hi all,

So, I'm leaning more towards Edgewater. Do any of you know about any safety concerns in this area? I'm looking at either the 5000 or 6000 block of N. Sheridan. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

183 posts, read 272,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana33 View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. @Golden Camel, no I'm not required to live in Evanston. I just have an awful commute at my present job in NY and I want my travel to work in Evanston to be as seamless and painless as possible. I am also considering looking at Lakeview and Edgewater communities. Please let me know if I am missing one. I'm very worried about finding a place in such a short time period!
You will rue the day you moved to Lakeview if you are looking for a pretty easy commute to Evanston. Our 'L' is not quick trans if you are going more than 1 mile or 2 ever since they eliminated trains making only alternate stops. Bus will be even worse. You will be fine in SE Evanston if you follow cubsoxfan's boundaries. Edgewater or Andersonville will be an ok commute on the 'L' to Evanston, but where will you need to get off and how far will you have to walk to work from an Evanston stop? Given your housing budget, the area around St. Francis Hospital is a good option, and while not the epitome of surburban hip in terms of nearby shops, is not especially unsafe. I would not worry about living there.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM

10,287 posts, read 12,407,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana33 View Post
Hi all,

So, I'm leaning more towards Edgewater. Do any of you know about any safety concerns in this area? I'm looking at either the 5000 or 6000 block of N. Sheridan. Thanks!
That area is fine. It can get a little sketchy around 5400-6000 on Winthrop and Kenmore, but Sheridan is fine. I would probably stay closer to Foster to Bryn Mawr.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:06 PM

183 posts, read 272,072 times
It's a mixed bag among those highrises. My instinct is that you will be better off renting a unit in one of the condo bldg. high rises. Like this: Baird & Warner 6030 North Sheridan Road #1811 Chicago, IL 60660 $1,100 Bedrooms: 1 Full Bath: 1 | Baird & Warner

Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,059,157 times
IDK, maybe things have changed a lot since but when I went to Loyola, the Sheridan Rd. strip was nice but kinda removed (walking distance wise) from the places we wanted to eat and drink at. I'd rather find a place in Evanston that is a bit quieter, more consistent (sounds like the Winthrop/Kenmore corridor is still not dangerous but still watch you back type of area)and walkable to one of the business districts with coffee shop and places to eat.
The Edgewater advantage is putting yourself closer commuting & cab distance to all the good places to drink, eat and entertain in Chicago.
Personal personality comes into play also; I've always liked it a bit quieter and Evanston works that way for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 PM

41,872 posts, read 31,734,681 times
I have lived in NYC, once lived in Edgewater and had dinner in Andersonville, last night. While I am a city person at heart, I would opt for Evanston for the urban-suburban experience and a breeze of a commute. It's highly walkable, has plenty of shopping and entertainment, the lakefront parks, best Farmer's market anywhere and you will likely find nothing that interests you in so called less safe areas. It's a no brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs