U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,125,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared&ben View Post
Hi, the hubby here chiming in

Some of you mentioned other suburbs that are good to move to. What are the suggestions? And do these places have good schools, open minded about our family?

there aren't any, it's Evanston and Oak Park...the rest are just like any other conservative suburb in the country. And you can find decent schools in the city, plenty of kids go to schools other than new trier and turn out just fine.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM

375 posts, read 851,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkz View Post
Thanks for the info but I don't think that will be the decision for us. We really don't care what types of family that we are surrounded. We just want to live in an area with all the open-minded people and decent public schools. We can't afford to send even just one kid to private schools.
I think I should clarify my point. If you both and your kids are comfortable being the only non-traditional/gay family in town, than you really can move to any upper middle class suburb with good schools and a house you can live in. It is doubtful that you or your kids will deal with outward homophobia on a regular basis in any of the upper middle class towns around. If you are looking for a town that has tons of gay families, where your kids will meet other kids with two dads, one dad, two moms, one mom or any combination thereof, then look at Oak Park or Evanston.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,125,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
I think I should clarify my point. If you both and your kids are comfortable being the only non-traditional/gay family in town, than you really can move to any upper middle class suburb with good schools and a house you can live in. It is doubtful that you or your kids will deal with outward homophobia on a regular basis in any of the upper middle class towns around. If you are looking for a town that has tons of gay families, where your kids will meet other kids with two dads, one dad, two moms, one mom or any combination thereof, then look at Oak Park or Evanston.

This is total nonsense

Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM

28,394 posts, read 68,364,938 times
I personally know of several non-traditional families in the western suburbs from Riverside through Naperville. Granted the occurance of this is certainly less common than in towns like in the title, but it is not so rare as to be a singular event. To parents looking for the best combination of value in the housing stock, excellent commute options and top notch schools the same factors that makes these towns attractive for gay couples.

If you are specifically looking to have families with the same age children as your own and with a similar familiy situation I doubt the densities of gay couples with kids in even Andersonville or similar enclaves would make any such connection a certainity...

Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM

10,317 posts, read 12,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are specifically looking to have families with the same age children as your own and with a similar familiy situation I doubt the densities of gay couples with kids in even Andersonville or similar enclaves would make any such connection a certainity...
You would also be wrong.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Given the above poster's noted emotional fixation on the superiority of those having a 606xx zip code I will not waste my time attempting to use logic to refute their assertion.

For the benefit of less entrenched readers I will simply point out that even the most generous census estimates would place any household consistingnof two male parents having children aged exactly 7 and 12 as a rarity in any part of Chicago or other towns in the region.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:21 PM

For any poster with a brain. Andersonville has one of the highest rates of same sex households in the Chicago area, many with kids.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 31,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
For the benefit of less entrenched readers I will simply point out that even the most generous census estimates would place any household consistingnof two male parents having children aged exactly 7 and 12 as a rarity in any part of Chicago or other towns in the region.
A side note from the properties and stuff, I guess you are not familiar with the census at all.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 PM

According to the most recent data there were a grand total of 3,030 children living in male same sex households in the entire state of Illinois.

The Tribune article that highlighted this data includes ONE quote from such a household and that is from a dad in Naperville: Census data: Huge increase in Illinoisans identifying as same-sex couples living together - Page 2 - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 PM

The census data for Illinois show there are 5,346 children under 18 in female same-sex households and 3,030 children under 18 in male same-sex households. And where do you think most of these households are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or