U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,418,288 times

Advertisements

Rich areas are no less prone to bigotry.

I don't consider bigotry a good attribute even if some have used other people's bigotry as a source of motivation to propel themselves to achieve goals.

My friends kids were the only people who were not white in their class, that was their reality, regardless of what you believe. I never said the schools in Naperville are 'all white', did I? Yes, we can talk about the diversity of Indians and Asians in Naperville, but then we would also have to acknowledge that they for the most part segregate themselves from other ethnic groups.

I don't doubt that the schools in Naperville score highly, the town is safe, well kept, rich... I don't doubt that there are lots of rich Indians that live happily within the own communities... But I do find it amusing when someone labels Naperville as 'open minded'. I suppose we are using that term VERY loosely these days.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 AM

2,582 posts, read 3,145,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Rich areas are no less prone to bigotry.

But I do find it amusing when someone labels Naperville as 'open minded'. I suppose we are using that term VERY loosely these days.

"Open minded" is so relative. I grew up in Oak Park and found it very segregated.... particularly by class. Not talked about much. And often with class, racial segregation follows.

Of course, it is all relative.

Back in Oak Park now, and it still has a similar feel to me. But what it does have is higher tolerance of people who are different. Yet, it doesn't mean that they are embraced.

But I think for the OP poster, it is going to be as good as you can find in the Chicagoland area. If you look hard, you will find something in your price range. It has a very nice environment for kids to grow up, particularly with the pretty good schools and park/library systems. Of course, they will still feel pressure to have their Air Jordans.... but since many will not be able to afford them, they will not feel completely left out for not having them. Even better, perhaps your kids will start having jobs when they are in high school (or earlier, like I did) to help them appreciate the value of $ and start good habits young. Shoot, I wish I could babysit these days..... those kids make a fortune!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,418,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
"Open minded" is so relative. I grew up in Oak Park and found it very segregated.... particularly by class. Not talked about much. And often with class, racial segregation follows.

Of course, it is all relative.

Back in Oak Park now, and it still has a similar feel to me. But what it does have is higher tolerance of people who are different. Yet, it doesn't mean that they are embraced.

But I think for the OP poster, it is going to be as good as you can find in the Chicagoland area. If you look hard, you will find something in your price range. It has a very nice environment for kids to grow up, particularly with the pretty good schools and park/library systems. Of course, they will still feel pressure to have their Air Jordans.... but since many will not be able to afford them, they will not feel completely left out for not having them. Even better, perhaps your kids will start having jobs when they are in high school (or earlier, like I did) to help them appreciate the value of $ and start good habits young. Shoot, I wish I could babysit these days..... those kids make a fortune!
I agree with you that 'open mindedness' is relative to some point, and that you'll find either type o f person in any area, but I do think that we need to keep some perspective on the differences between towns, otherwise they all start to mesh into one cause they all have, to some degree, good and bad, black and white, safe and unsafe...

I also agree with the issue of segregation in Oak Park (though that's also due to the diversity of income levels in the village, compared to Naperville which has far less economic diversity), but like you allude to, the level of tollarence found in the village makes it a place where people can feel comfortably integrated... Which bringings up for me the larger difference between Oak park and Naperville, as the differences between them are a lot more clear cut then blurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or