U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

My son will be starting his first year of preschool this coming Fall ('12). I am hoping to find one that's cirriculum is mostly based in play. He has been home with me for the past (almost) three years, and I think it will be a big adjustment for him. I am certain that a place that will expect him to sit for three hours a day working on reading/writing, etc. without making it fun is not going to be a place he will thrive. I would prefer a place that specializes in preschool, more than a daycare that also has preschool classes, too, but am flexible in that as well. I have been scouring the internet for reviews of local places and have not had much luck. Oh, a *huge* bonus would be if it were under $200 a month (only plan on sending him half days/two days a week). The first place I visited seemed great, but it was over $600 a month! That is just not in our budget. Can anyone steer me in a good direction? Pretty please Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM

121 posts, read 369,273 times
I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, but saw your post and hoped I could tag along with a preschool inquiry too.

I just moved from out of state and also looking for a preschool.
Looking for a pre-school that is NOT and doesn't have a day care.
Not catholic or Baptist. My two older kids have gone to Presbyterian pre-schools when we lived in other states and have had good experiences there. Def, non-denominational teaching in the classroom.

Last edited by Marka; 01-04-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,412 posts, read 1,038,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhentz11 View Post
My son will be starting his first year of preschool this coming Fall ('12). I am hoping to find one that's cirriculum is mostly based in play. He has been home with me for the past (almost) three years, and I think it will be a big adjustment for him. I am certain that a place that will expect him to sit for three hours a day working on reading/writing, etc. without making it fun is not going to be a place he will thrive. I would prefer a place that specializes in preschool, more than a daycare that also has preschool classes, too, but am flexible in that as well. I have been scouring the internet for reviews of local places and have not had much luck. Oh, a *huge* bonus would be if it were under $200 a month (only plan on sending him half days/two days a week). The first place I visited seemed great, but it was over $600 a month! That is just not in our budget. Can anyone steer me in a good direction? Pretty please Thanks!
Before moving out of country we had our middle son enrolled at Plainfield Jr. Village, just to the north of 135th street on Rt. 59. They actually had a pre-school program taught in Spanish(we are white, but are big on foreign languages). Three half days were about $300. It was less if taught in English.

You can also try the school district. My oldest one attended Bonnie McBeth, but was held at Eichelberger school at 119th and Essington. We wanted that because we lived on the north side of town. He loved it, and it was right around $200. One downside is huge interest, limited space. I am not even sure they hold the pre-school at the satellite locations any longer. Bonnie McBeth is incredibly busy and can take forever to pick up your child.

All the best.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,397,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljrnicole View Post
I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, but saw your post and hoped I could tag along with a preschool inquiry too.

I have 4-year-old twins. I'm in west, west, Elgin.
Not catholic or baptist. My two older kids have gone to Presbyterian pre-schools when we lived in other states and have had good experiences there. Def, non-denominational teaching in the classroom.
Catholic schools aren't very pushy, unlike Baptists. You should at least keep that as an option.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM

121 posts, read 369,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Catholic schools aren't very pushy, unlike Baptists. You should at least keep that as an option.
I hope I didn't offend. I knew a family in New Orleans that sent their 4 kids to a Catholic school (only option in the vicinity they lived in) they had kids from preschool to highschool. The little ones were taught the prayers and the older ones would get reprimanded for not having them memorized. And their peers would ask them,"why don't you know the prayers?!" (they finally moved to another area with better options)

We don't believe in saying scripted prayers and can't imagine having my kids learn them.

Thank you though. I have nothing against the catholic church at all. Or any other religion. I think anyone, no matter what denomination, if you are a believer in our father in heaven & Jesus Christ, a good person with love for others, a conscience, and give of yourself, you have my respect.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 18,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post

Not catholic or Baptist. My two older kids have gone to Presbyterian pre-schools when we lived in other states and have had good experiences there. Def, non-denominational teaching in the classroom.

Try Trinity Christian in Shorewood. It's a non-denominational Christian school with Pre-k thru 8th grade. They have quite a few options for preschool. I think the OP will find that it's well within her/his budget. I have children there...let me know if you have any questions. The district pre-school is good as well. My only complaint was that the curriculum for the 3 y/o is the same as the 4 y/o (they share the same class) so if you send your child for two years they would repeat the same curriculum. Not sure if it's still that way but I transferred my youngest out the second year because of that...otherwise I didn't have any issues with the school.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
My son goes to Bonnie McBeth and he loves it. It is play based but he has learned so much the past year and a half. The curriculum is the same both years but it is altered to the kid's ability. My son is learning things this year that he did not last year. It is $200 for 2 days. If you drop off your application the first day they accept them you should be fine. I am not sure of the registration date but it is soon. My youngest son will be starting there in August. Our neighbor goes to Apple Tree and they are very happy with it. It is less than $200 and play based. The park district also has a reasonable program that is getting a new building downtown soon. When we were looking for our oldest son we called and looked at both Apple Tree and the Park District. They both allow you to go in and see the classrooms and observe the class for a little bit.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 PM

56 posts, read 236,480 times
I looked into 3 preschools.
- New Creations at the EpWorth United Methodist church.
Nice teachers, play based, not much acedemics, wish they had more. Felt dated. That yellowish tone, lack of sunlight. But, good either way. Hard to find a good balance between play and acedemics. They combined 3 & 4 year olds. They did send home simple go
Work to prepare for kindergarten and had a teddy bear kids would take turns taking home and telling class what they did together. They had songs for every activity and lots of hand washing. Rooms were cold. Small class size.
- Elgin parent co-op at a presbyterian church
Loved this school. Huge class room with numerous stations to play and do activities. Parents take turns in the class. Have 3-4 adults each day. Parents are rought how to redirect and positive and learning through play. Price was phenomenal. Great, friendly kids. No academics. All voluntary. Has another class 1 day a week separate tuition for children entering kindergarten. I think a co-op is amazing and have do e it before. This one requires all kids of paperwork, background check, physical, DCPS. One I did a few years ago, we still encouraged kids to do their art projects and writing. More structure. This one seemed to encourage absolute free reign. They did do structured snacks and would shut off stations to direct other sensory activities and bathroom time. Moms are super nice. Would do for 3 year olds but not 4 year olds entering kindergarten. They had no show and tell which was disappointing. Very environmentally friendly and organic.
- highland Christian academy
is more acedemics, but still has a lot of structured playtime. Jam packed with stimulating learning opportunities. They do learn bible verses and say un-rehearsed prayers. Very very simple, non denominational. Just Christian. Has k-8 and option for extended child care. But not at all like a day care centers. Parents seem very down to earth. This one was at the top of my budget. But other "academies" we're way more than this. Reasonable.

Had a really hard time choosing. Racked my brain and emotions. It's Nile for another 5 months, but still hard choice for me.

I will be send to public kindergarten year anyways. But want to start learning experience on an enjoyable start. So kids love to learn at young age and look at school in a positive light. Pre-k is important for me to get them used to sitting (for short periods) but still have the play based environment to explore and interact with other kids. Learn to listen to other adults.

Good luck. It was a hard decision for me as I know no one here and had no recommendations or someone to point me in the right direction. It was taxing scheduling tours and some had us stay for the entire class. Some didn't. Liked staying to see how they ate with kids and seeing the routine. Some didn't allow that, just a tour and talking outside of class rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs