U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,926 times

Advertisements

I've just received a job offer in the Buffalo Grove area and they would like me to start within the beginning of the new year, so I'm sorry if this is repeated but I haven't had much time to research! I'm looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment (preferably updated) with a decent commute to BG.

WHO?
I'm 22 years old, fresh out of college, with my first "big girl" job in Buffalo Grove, IL. Sadly, I did not go to school to become an engineer, so my first job isn't quite paying "the big bucks". So I can't quite live as lavishly as I would dream to, but I don't want to settle for a molded over apartment either. I've also lived in a small farm town nearly my whole life - so I'm really looking for somewhere exciting to live.

WHERE?
I've always wanted to live in a loft in downtown Chicago... but the thought alone of living in downtown Chicago and commuting to Buffalo Grove AND the price of rent could drive me clinically insane. So I would prefer to be a decent driving distance (or close to a train) to Chicago for short weekend trips. I guess to put it simply, I'm basically just looking for the next best thing to Chicago.

WHAT?
Like I said, I'm a small town girl. The most excitement I get thrown my way is driving 45 minutes out of town and then deciding between eating at an Applebee's or TGIF. So I'm really just looking for a versatile things to do. I would love to have a park near me for walks and jogs. I'm not a huge party animal but come on - I'm 22! So a decent nightlife would be much appreciated in my life! I also unfortunately have no friends in the area... so a younger population would be more appealing. Although that may be hard living in the suburbs.

I guess that's a long enough wish list. I know I can't have it all - but I'm just looking for my best options! As of right now I'm just trying to narrow in on the area... then I will definitely need help in terms of specific apartments. But any help is MUCH appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM

23 posts, read 38,077 times
I lived in the bg/wheeling area. There are a lot of things to do and a couple good dog parks withing a 20 minute drive. There are several forest preserves in that area also for walks/ runs or biking. You could live anywhere near BG and be a 30-40 minute drive from downtown. I believe you can even catch the Metra near there. I'm actually thinking about moving back to that area or to a couple other northwest suburbs.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 42,632 times
Schaumburg has a lot of 20 somethings and affordable rentals scattered throughout. The BG commute would be 20-30 minutes dependent on weather and traffic patterns. You could also look at downtown Arlington Heights. AH and Schaumburg have two very different styles. I favor AH, but I am in my 30s now. Congrats on the new job.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM

921 posts, read 883,376 times
Congrats to your new job and welcome to the area.
You should check on Arlington Hts. I think it will work best for you.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM

10,287 posts, read 12,410,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Congrats to your new job and welcome to the area.
You should check on Arlington Hts. I think it will work best for you.
Good advice. Schaumburg is pretty pathetic.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Default Appreciate the responses! Any advice on specific apartments?

Thanks so much! I'm leaning more and more towards Arlington Heights with everyone's suggestions. But I am still going to be making a trip to scout out all my options.

I've searched and came across a few apartments in Palatine, it seems close on a map (I'm not familiar with the area). Is it worth looking into more or should I stick to strictly Arlington Heights?

Now that that part is done with, does anyone have any suggestions on apartment complexes? Again, not an outrageous rent price but I do want something on the nicer side so I am willing to pay a little extra if I have to.

I've looked online some, but I was wondering if there were any complexes that may not have websites and pictures but are still little gems!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM

921 posts, read 883,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurkeyLove View Post
Thanks so much! I'm leaning more and more towards Arlington Heights with everyone's suggestions. But I am still going to be making a trip to scout out all my options.

I've searched and came across a few apartments in Palatine, it seems close on a map (I'm not familiar with the area). Is it worth looking into more or should I stick to strictly Arlington Heights?

Now that that part is done with, does anyone have any suggestions on apartment complexes? Again, not an outrageous rent price but I do want something on the nicer side so I am willing to pay a little extra if I have to.

I've looked online some, but I was wondering if there were any complexes that may not have websites and pictures but are still little gems!
Where in Palatine are the apartments you were looking at? Are they on Rand Rd between Rt 53 & Dundee Rd?
For a good apartments to rent in Arlington Hts, you can research this forum and you will find some (I forgot the names now). Cubssoxfan listed quite a few in his previous posts.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,060,877 times
Quote:

Stay away from apartments near the Rand Rd (US 12), Dundee Rd (IL 68) IL 53 expressway corridor. I'm not too fond of the rentals off Lake-Cook and the IL 53 expressway terminus either!
AH apartments worth looking at: Avalon, Dunton Towers, Brook Run.
Wheeling apartments worth looking at: Village Green at Arlington Club, Wooodland Creek.
Here are decent places in Buffalo Grove: Buffalo Grove Real Estate & Apartments for Rent & House Rentals - Yahoo! Real Estate
The BG apartments are close to the Forest Preserve and the Des Plaines river trail for walking/running/biking.
Wheeling: Woodland Creek has paths on its property and via the nearby Prospect Heights trail you can access Lake Arlington in Arlington Heights and the 2 mile path around 50 acre Lake Arlington. Village Green, you are about 2 miles via mellow side-street and bike path to Buffalo Creek preserve with its trails.
AH: Brook Run, about 1.5 miles via sidewalk and side streets to Lake Arlington. Avalon and Dunton Tower are right in downtown AH and the activities that provides. Also walking distance to Metra and AH library.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks a lot! You guys give great advice.

I know that I said that I wouldn't even imagine living in the city while working in Buffalo Grove... but the thought of me being young, single, looking to make new friends while living in the suburbs terrifies me.

I looked up and saw that the Metra runs to Buffalo Grove. Would it be a headache to do this instead of drive? Or is Schaumburg the most reasonable approach at this point?

Old 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM

423 posts, read 775,386 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot! You guys give great advice.

I know that I said that I wouldn't even imagine living in the city while working in Buffalo Grove... but the thought of me being young, single, looking to make new friends while living in the suburbs terrifies me.

I looked up and saw that the Metra runs to Buffalo Grove. Would it be a headache to do this instead of drive? Or is Schaumburg the most reasonable approach at this point?
There is limited service to Buffalo Grove. Some employers may run shuttles from the Metra to the office. Doesn't hurt to ask. Driving is probably the only practical option though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or