U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM

20 posts, read 86,491 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the difference in parking situation between the 59 station and the Naperville station? is there plenty of parking at both, or is one better? Also, if we were going to buy a home near Hwy 59 and 95th, how bad is the traffic getting to Metra? We really like that community but it's hard to tell which will be the better situation for a commute.

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
The Pace bus may be a better option as long as you don't have to work late. No concerns about the overcrowded lots at 59 or downtown Naperville, you might even save some gas if you live near 95th St. Pace Bus - Route 675 - Route 59 Express

Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,263,876 times
If you put "naperville commuter parking" in the Search Forums field at the top of this page and click Find, there are a number of recent threads that have discussed this in some detail.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

214 posts, read 582,877 times
IME, you cannot find a daily space at downtown Naperville after about 6:30AM (unless you wait until the 9AM slots open up). Mulityear waits for permits (maybe Rt 59 is better). I rent a space at a local business. Personally, I think traffic on 59 is a mess anywhere near Fox Valley but you might disagree.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
There are multiple options for parking near the downtown Naperville Metra station. The best spots are within a block or so of the station and an overwhelming number of those are devoted to the coveted and long waiting list permits. A bit further out there are daily fee lots, which I have observed do not consistently fill to capacity. Even further there are options like the parking garages or even private lots. In addition there are 'remote' lots from which shuttle buses run.

In general I think most people who need consistent Metra transportation to the Loop figure out a way to do it from the main Naperville station w/o having to head out to 59. Even if you do end up at 59 there are routes that make E-W travel if not great, at least acceptable. Heading south on 59 past the mall is very very congested, especially this time of year...

Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,255,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
IME, you cannot find a daily space at downtown Naperville after about 6:30AM (unless you wait until the 9AM slots open up). Mulityear waits for permits (maybe Rt 59 is better). I rent a space at a local business. Personally, I think traffic on 59 is a mess anywhere near Fox Valley but you might disagree.
I have always found a spot at 7AM in downtown and Rt 59 is a bit better...

Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 AM

20 posts, read 86,491 times
Thanks this is helpful. How about the traffic coming north from Washington and Hobson Road? Is it difficult to come in from that area?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:56 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,263,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Heading south on 59 past the mall is very very congested, especially this time of year...
Another route you can take is Eola Road which parallels Route 59. That's how friends I know who live in south Naperville get to the train station year round.

Another factor for the OP is the Pace buses; a lot of people who catch the train at the downtown Naperville station ride the Pace buses to get there.

By the way, you need to search for it but you can almost always find daily parking at the Route 59 station. After 9am, some of the permit parking on the Aurora side opens up for daily parkers; and on the Naperville side, the west side of the lot (past Fairway Drive) usually has parking if the lot east of Fairway is full, though it's a bit of a walk to the platform.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM

323 posts, read 328,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Thanks this is helpful. How about the traffic coming north from Washington and Hobson Road? Is it difficult to come in from that area?
It's not that bad. They open up Washington in downtown Naperville to 2 northbound lanes and traffic generally flows reasonably smoothly.

As mentioned on other threads, daily fee parking is generally ok before 7:00 am. Depending on the time of year and weather, you may be ok afterwards, but then when all spaces do get taken, there is not a lot of recourse since the Naperville PD is hyper-aggressive at handing out tickets, and the fines just went up. Don't believe anyone who says that there is always daily fee parking: I have been a daily commuter there for 5+ years, and unless you count the 9:00 am spaces, or the in-after-8:00 and out-before-5:00, I can safely say that at least 75% of the time all daily fee spaces get taken up.

Honestly, I wish that the city would just do away with all permit parking and install a few more machines. That would solve the parking issues entirely, but I imagine that they do not want the extra traffic.

If your schedule is going to be regular, and you won't arrive @ the Naperville 5th Ave station until 7:15+ as a rule, then the Pace buses are an option. they do keep threatening to cut these.

Personally, I would want nothing to do with Rt. 59 south of I-88 during commute hours, but then my perception of Rt. 59 might be a bit skewed.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,424 times
Does the local business that you rent your parking space have any current available spaces for rent?
I am seeking a space to rent near the Naperville train station. If not, do you know of other businesses that rent out spaces to commuters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs