U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,062,596 times

Advertisements

Ex-pat friends rented in Northbrook, walking distance to Metra and downtown. Found a smaller, modest 3 bedroom 1.5 bath home there for $1750.
Found a smaller, modest 3 bedroom in Mt. Prospect north of downtown.
Both provide good schools, commutes under 40 minutes to downtown, modest yard and good neighborhoods. Not sure how much the homes have been updated.
Yahoo search is your friend; search the forum for desirable towns, and plug those into a search and see what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
So our choices are Naperville or Englewood?
NO, when you get your B-R-O-A-D brush out, I like to tweak you (and others making broad blanket statements)
I prefer more useful statements for those looking for moving/living info, like:"I wouldn't live in Naperville because it is too sprawling and homogenous for me" or "the traffic blows" or "I prefer______because it has________ which I find Naperville doesn't"
I know it's a difference in style and that's OK.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM

10,290 posts, read 12,413,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
NO, when you get your B-R-O-A-D brush out, I like to tweak you (and others making broad blanket statements)
I prefer more useful statements for those looking for moving/living info, like:"I wouldn't live in Naperville because it is too sprawling and homogenous for me" or "the traffic blows" or "I prefer______because it has________ which I find Naperville doesn't"
I know it's a difference in style and that's OK.
Yep, it's all opinions here.

And Naperville still sucks, but I'd live there before Englewood.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:

But WHY does Napervile suck in your opinion? It is much more helpful and makes for more interesting, and sometimes spirited, debate if you provide a more detailed opinion. I mean how useful is it if i say, "Your neighborhood sucks", instead of your neighborhood sucks because it is too urban and dense for me. The 2nd opinion allows others to determine if that is a plus or a negative.
I just find broad brushed opinions and statements typically useless and when they strike me as inane, I push back.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Some people just don't like sprawl burbs. There's plenty of non-financially based reasons to choose an inner suburb.
Here you go.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Here you go.
Much better I don't feel so verklempft anymore

Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,987,556 times
I would argue that the most desirable parts of Naperville are not "sprawlish" and in fact are older than other desirable towns closer in.

The history of Naperville includes interestimg "political power struggles" with towns like Wheaton for the County Seat. The long term association with North Central College benefits both . The broad mix of retail, commercial, industrial, and service oriented businesses gives one of the most resilent economic bases. Appreciation for the Arts and recreation gives the town an unequaled "destination" status.

While no town will be everything to everyone, Naperville is rightly regarded as a premier development.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM

7,335 posts, read 8,991,221 times
Quote:

I don't know about the dry cleaning in Naperville, though...

Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't know about the dry cleaning in Naperville, though...
Very good and important question!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM

44 posts, read 96,898 times
Thank you all for the responses. Just some more additional background. We are a family of four with 2 boys, one in 1st grade and the other few years away from entering grade K.

I've been a New Yorker all my life, but as my family is starting to grow and I'm looking around for a place to settle, I'm realizing that New York suburbs are too tight for my income. Having been in New York all my life, I don't really know much about other metro areas, but I did work in Chicago for few months many years back so I'm a bit familiar which is the reason why I am thinking in that direction.

If any of you are familiar with NYC burbs, you may agree that there are very few places within 1 hour commuting distance to Manhattan that would be considered middle class. Sure, the feel of the neighborhood may be middle class, but the cost of entry now, even with the depressed real estate market, isn't really middle class, mostly due to high property taxes. The middle class people like us that are in these towns got in more than 15 years ago, but wouldn't be able to get in now. Bottom line, for a family looking for a "not-run-down" house in a middle of the road to more reputable school district, you would need to budget at least $3500 to $4000 for a monthly rent (or mortgage plus tax based on a 25% down payment). Ok, enough ranting about NYC burbs.... I said all this so you know where I'm coming from and what I'm trying to compare to.

So, what I'm basically trying to gauge here is what does it cost to live in a Chicago suburb? My impression is that wages are similar, if not slightly lower, but housing inventory is much better (newer, more spacious, more affordable even for Chicago income). So, if we were to take Naperville as an example, what would be a comfortable income for a family to be able to afford a decent home and not be house poor? Again, just as a comparison, I would consider a family income of at least $150K to be "comfortable" in NYC burbs. Again, I throw that out there as a gauge for anyone who may be familiar with NY.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or