U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM

44 posts, read 96,858 times

Advertisements

What would be a reasonable rent for an updated 3 bedroom house, say 2000 sqft, a small yard, within 60 minute commute to Chicago, in a desirable middle class family neighborhood with good schools?

I'm in New York, so I'm not familiar with the Chicago suburbs, but would Naperville fit the above description? And if so, can someone describe what I can get for say $2500 to $3000 per month on rent? Would I even have to pay that much or can I get something decent for under $2000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,080,965 times
Good school is probably an oxmoron after 6th grade. Most public K-6 are pretty good schools. If you want small yards, upscale, tons of services and several different options for transportation to the city you might like Oak Park. It is a village of about 60,000 that is roughly 9 miles out.on the western border of the city. It is very diverse and it is home to the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings in the world. It is a very interesting place to live. With your income you can live just about anywhere you want. OP has some gorgeous units. The Oal Park Regional Housing Center is non-profit. They will help you find the perfect place to live.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,236,075 times
I will also recommend Oak Park, and as mandated on this forum, Evanston

Both will get you downtown fairly quickly, as they share borders with Chicago.

If you are determined to live in Naperville, I do believe you could rent a modest three bedroom for about $2500. I know that you can rent a nicer 3BR apartment for $1600 or so, last time I checked.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
In my experience the value represented by rental homes in Oak Park is EXTREMELY poor. For the money you would spend (probably well over $2500 for a decent area...) you could get a much nicer / larger rental home in other towns. Naperville is FAR larger than Oak Park and has NO crime plagued areas to avoid.

If you are OK with a condo in an older building (often populated with VERY elderly folks that will complain loudly when you and your children do any normal things like watch TV, listen to music or even walk around your unit...) then you probably could rent in such a place for less...

I, unlike many on this board, have direct experience helping people move from unsuitable condos in towns that "on paper" are wonderful. In practice the benefits of towns nearer to Chicago are largely overrated. Folks in suburbs a bit further out can get to work with speedy Metra service FASTER than convoluted CTA transit offerings. Schools are SIGNFICANTLY less chaotic in towns with more uniform achievement across the various schools in larger districts. The lack of transient disruptions and battles over racial under-achievement allows the better school districts to focus on helping students attain their potential.

If your commute radius is truly 60 minutes there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to include overrated towns that border Chicago...

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,972,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If your commute radius is truly 60 minutes there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to include overrated towns that border Chicago...
Some people just don't like sprawl burbs. There's plenty of non-financially based reasons to choose an inner suburb.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,400,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Some people just don't like sprawl burbs. There's plenty of non-financially based reasons to choose an inner suburb.
No, Chet is right. Naperville is heaven on earth.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,972,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No, Chet is right. Naperville is heaven on earth.
Northern Naperville isn't bad, especially the parts within walking distance of downtown Naperville. Its the newer stuff south of 75th st that are awful. I guess at least its cheap. Route 59 is a mess too.

Maybe the OP can give more specifics about what he is looking for in a suburb. There are over 200 different suburbs in Chicagoland.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Northern Naperville isn't bad, especially the parts within walking distance of downtown Naperville. Its the newer stuff south of 75th st that are awful. I guess at least its cheap. Route 59 is a mess too.

Maybe the OP can give more specifics about what he is looking for in a suburb. There are over 200 different suburbs in Chicagoland.
I agree, it's just not some perfect place as Chet always infers.

Would I raise my kids there? NO F'ING WAY.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,055,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree, it's just not some perfect place as Chet always infers.

Would I raise my kids there? NO F'ING WAY.
That's right! Towns like Robbins, Ford Heights and neighborhoods like Englewood represent much better options to raise a family in
Why move to a h***-hole like Naperville

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
That's right! Towns like Robbins, Ford Heights and neighborhoods like Englewood represent much better options to raise a family in
Why move to a h***-hole like Naperville
So our choices are Naperville or Englewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or