U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM

96 posts, read 133,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
The Starbucks closed a few years ago. Do you really want to live in a town that can't support a Starbucks?
With Franklin Park or anywhere else...

Unlike the pre-Lehman crash real estate bubble days... Starbucks is no longer an indicator of "up-and-coming" in terms of real estate. It's just Starbucks, not dissimilar to a McDonalds coming or going. Plenty of up-and-coming and/or gentrifying neighborhoods recoil in horror if and when a Starbucks opens shop. And even with the absence of of a Starbucks location.. Starbucks is still digging it's tentacles into Franklin Park in one way or another.

They might have found that Franklin Park residents are buying their coffee somewhere else entirely (ex. nurses at hospitals, commuters at offices, etc), they might be home brewing with the grocery store bought products (k-cups), or buying it in surrounding neighborhoods. There might even be suficient coverage with a local in-store-Target location. They may have even found that residents of Franklin Park are just smart enough not to buy Starbucks coffee at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:32 AM

523 posts, read 580,330 times
My impression is that it is solidly working class and closer to being heavy on poor or low income families rather than richer and office job professionals. The only reason I could see for someone to move there is if they work at or around O'Hare, other than that there isn't much appeal, and while the crime rate doesn't appear to be alarmingly high, I'd say it's more in decline rather than going up. The biggest turn off for me frankly would have to be the noise from the plethora of activity around there (I.E. jet noise, train engines and horns, traffic from the tri-state, etc. The best neighborhood you could compare FP to would have to be IMO Melrose Park to the south.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM

3,785 posts, read 5,534,231 times
I don't see any reason to live there. The housing stock is mostly meh and there does not seem to be much to recommend it other than the prices of homes may be less than other places and its a closer in suburb to the city.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,971,595 times
Default Sheesh that is a bit harsh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I don't see any reason to live there. The housing stock is mostly meh and there does not seem to be much to recommend it other than the prices of homes may be less than other places and its a closer in suburb to the city.
Many folks label me as elitist. I honestly do try to find the "good" in every spot in the region. I have been through Franklin Park many times. It has made efforts to bring new businesses and residential to the area near its commuter station. It seems like a mostly high quality development. They have a solid base of light industry and warehouses. That helps to provide revenue for their parks, which are quite nice and include other recreational options like a park district owner ice center which can be a way for local residents to get into what otherwise are rather costly sports like figure skating and hockey...

"Always look on the bright side..."

Old 06-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Maybe I just don't like it because I went to high school there and see the change. Its not bad just uninspired to me.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:25 PM

5,520 posts, read 11,976,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
The Starbucks closed a few years ago. Do you really want to live in a town that can't support a Starbucks?
One of River Forest's two Starbucks closed a few years ago too. As far as I can tell River Forest is still a pretty nice town. Its niceness hasn't dropped in half, that's for sure.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 373 times
I am a african american woman married with children is this town accepting of african americans

Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM

There are probably better places to live for African Americans. I doubt if there are that many there. Its mostly white and Hispanic. I think there are more African americans in places like Bellwood, Broadview and Hillside which are slightly south of Franklin Park. I don't think Franklin Park is poor. Its basically people of modest income and circumstances. There is a Starbucks up the road on 25th st in Schiller Park if you need a Starbucks fix. Franklin Park is more of a Dunkin Donuts type of suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs