U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 08:08 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times

Advertisements

Not that long ago there used to be a lot of places for kids to have a job after school. Local shops would have stock boys / local delivery service that utilized kids 16 or younger. Cashiers at many local shops used to be predominately 16 year olds. Even the chain stores seem to have cut back on the underage cashiers, while I still do hear a shout of "21 on 4" as the call for a liquor purchase it seems like few stores employ underage people.

I suppose some of this has to do with the economy and older people staying in the workforce longer while some it has to do with the desire of employers to rely more on folks with cars and more ability to work when it is convenient to the employer regardless of school schedule and curfews.

How many businesses in your area still seem to have a lot of kids working for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 02:12 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,141,406 times
I have noticed fewer kids working as well, but still a few doing delivery (ex. pizza). Babysitting seems to be popular, and they make much better $ these days.

When I was growing up the kids would make good $$ shoveling in winter. But Kids don't seem interested in that kind of hard work anymore. No one has knocked on my parents' door in 20 years except for the odd handyman 5 years ago looking for work.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,352,550 times
Kids will spontaneously walk out the door in the middle of a shift and quit when the boss starts to act like a total jerk. Or when they realize how much BS surrounds them on the job. Those sh*tty minimum wage jobs are now mostly reserved for adults with bills to pay and spirits that have been broken. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by urza216; 12-25-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,771,547 times
Females have more opportunities then males.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 PM

3,783 posts, read 5,528,400 times
Around here I still see some kids working the fast food places and Target and stuff. Some of the young people I see might be college students though. Its hard for anyone to get a job now. Many college grads have had to keep the crappy part time or low wage jobs because others are so hard to find and these folks, along with adults that need to work have crowded out the high school kids.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
Yes, agreed that many of the retail jobs now are taken by adults who have been downsized out of their corporate jobs or are out of work from the trades. SAD sad sad.
There seem to be season opportunities for teens in our area at the park districts however at least in our area.
Do high schools have career opportunity programs like they used to? Like work/study programs? Perhaps that is a solution.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM

1,096 posts, read 3,986,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not that long ago there used to be a lot of places for kids to have a job after school. Local shops would have stock boys / local delivery service that utilized kids 16 or younger. Cashiers at many local shops used to be predominately 16 year olds. Even the chain stores seem to have cut back on the underage cashiers, while I still do hear a shout of "21 on 4" as the call for a liquor purchase it seems like few stores employ underage people.

I suppose some of this has to do with the economy and older people staying in the workforce longer while some it has to do with the desire of employers to rely more on folks with cars and more ability to work when it is convenient to the employer regardless of school schedule and curfews.

How many businesses in your area still seem to have a lot of kids working for them?
It used to be as a 16 or 17 year old kid you could land a job in a matter of a day. I think it's just that companies are cutting back before they may have had a dozen employees they didnt even really need just extra coverage now they are trimming the fat and only hiring those they really need to have.

Another factor is that you have older people who are out of other lines of work are taking on retail jobs and other jobs that in the past were more for kids.

This actually works to the benefit of the business. Not to stereotype but I've managed retail stores, restaurants, have a buddy who is a gm in a fast food restaurant. He constantly complains that younger kids will routinely call in sick on friday and saturday nights, if there's a great party going on and they dont want to miss it and have to work they will just quit because they dont need the job. With younger kids they often cant work late at night, cant work more than such and such hours per week, etc. You also generally dont want a 17 year old kid being a keyholder opening and closing, bank deposits, etc where as an older person can do all that

If you have a kid looking for a job places to look are probably the places that have to have young kids. For example Walmart it doesn't matter whether you have a 30 year old guy or a 16 year old kid but a store like Abercrombie or American Eagle isnt going to hire a 30 year old guy its going to be younger kids for the "image" so those types of places are probably a better place to look. I do have a 17 year old nephew who just got a job at target so there are opportunites everywhere tho

Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 AM

37 posts, read 57,888 times
My brother's friends (16-18) all work at McDonald's and Jewel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs