Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 PM

18 posts, read 85,106 times

Advertisements

Hello -
I grew up most of my life in Wheaton and I am raising my children in Naperville. I love them both. I would not chose Warrenville, but posters are all correct - more house for $$. Both areas are great schools. Naperville's schools used to have a better rep than Wheaton, but now they are probably similar. I live in south naperville. Schools are excellent, but getting crowded and they are building more. Wheaton is pretty built out so you don't have those worries. Either choice is a good one. Naperville is huge, though so you have to be ok with that - multitudes for the kids though and the downtown is excellent. Glen Ellyn is also a good choice in that area. Another area that is up and coming and you get more for your money is Oswego. I don't know if others would agree, but i have many friends there and the schools are really good and it isn't as pricey as Naperviile. Just a thought. Good luck and let me know if you need more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 13,588 times
Wheaton and Warrenville share a school system...district 200. The only difference is Johnson (grade school) in warrenville has a large mexican population and does not score as well. There is another grade school in south warrenville not sure of the name but it is good...the junior high and high schools are shared.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Naperville is highly over-rated...lots of apartments and cheap houses (but pricey) on the out skirts...yes it has a nice downtown.I have around this area my whole life and would never move there. Parts of wheaton, glen ellyn, warrenville, and winfield are nice and quiet.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm actually looking to move to another state and thought ....hmmm let me see what people say about areas I'm familiar with...well, I would take anything posted with a grain of salt...do you research on schools, crime, property values, ect...drive through areas and get a feel. Remember these are purely opinions on what people know or believe to know (yes some know more than others but still be careful).

Old 09-06-2007, 04:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
I find most of the posters here are very sincere and willing to help answer questions about their hometown.I think most are a great help and give insight one would not usually get.I for one have been very appreciative

Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM

nanannie,

I mean no insult to anyone...I just see that areas I would not move to-some people love...everyone has their own opinion and some for very good reason. For me (a parent), school ratings are very important...I wish you luck in your search : )

Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg2007 View Post
nanannie,

I mean no insult to anyone...I just see that areas I would not move to-some people love...everyone has their own opinion and some for very good reason. For me (a parent), school ratings are very important...I wish you luck in your search : )
School ratings are important, yet you bash Naperville? They have great schools, town has been voted as having the best library system in the USA and is often ranked the "most kid friendly town in the USA" too. Im lost. If you have children, Naperville is often highly recommended, even by CNN.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,098 times
Default arguments...?

Naperville is a nice area with great schools (no argument there).
I lived there for awhile but found it to be very crowded, expensive, and has its own issues (like other areas). Last time I checked other schools in dupage that were just as good...I'm sure peg2007 will find those schools in other areas. As for myself, I live in wheaton were the schools are pretty damn good.
Tom K

Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM

138 posts, read 600,137 times
How do Oswego schools rate?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
I live in Wheaton and come from a large family of Wheaton teachers. The schools in Wheaton are great. Naperville schools are great too. The only real difference between the two, in my opinion, is the lifestyle. Naperville is much larger, more diverse, has a great downtown with lots of activities, and feels more like a "city". Wheaton is much smaller and not so accepting of change (in my opinion). Wheaton prides itself on being a smaller town where people know one another and have generation after generation stay here. I have lived here for almost 30 years. I left for 2 years and had to come back. There is something about the community that people find comforting but I can't put it into words. I think both Naperville and Wheaton have great parks, great schools and every retail need is very close at hand. I think either place would be great, but they are completely different in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs