U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 PM

65 posts, read 115,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'd suggest two places to look at out here in the western suburbs would be Bolingbrook or Aurora. Be sure to do your homework and make sure the area you're looking at is acceptable to you from a crime perspective ... there are active gangs in both communities but given where you've been living they're likely to seem pretty tame to you.
Oh wow, there are tons of listings in both those areas. Time to do some more research on them!! Thanks so much for the tip. And yeah, gangs don't concern me overly because unless you are in Compton or something they mostly only cause trouble within their own circles. I am not frightened by gunshots that are not aimed at me personally. Lol!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

2,883 posts, read 3,849,853 times
Since you aren't the type to be scared by a non-lily white neighborhood and you said you'd be willing to home school, you could look at Elgin. U-46 is not a great school district, though I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are a lot of fairly recent immigrants in the schools.

It's about 60 - 70 minutes by train to Union Station. Housing is reasonable and there is a lot more to do than people realize. We've got a great symphony and a terrific library. There's a farmer's market in the summer and a winter market going on now. I definitely would second whomever suggested renting before you buy. The Fox Valley is beautiful along the river and the terrain is much less flat than most of the region. I have posted about Elgin before, so you could search for my posts or pm me with specific questions.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Fantastic, thanks, I will look for your other posts and sniff around online for more info too!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM

4,040 posts, read 3,278,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
Thanks, these are some great ideas. I should clarify by "what am I missing" was that I had found three listings even in a really popular suburb in my price range with 3 bedrooms, and people kept telling me that there would be nothing in ANY Chicagoland suburb for that price.
I don't know if this was true in 2007 at the height of the housing market, but house prices are down 11.7% since them across the USA, and the decline has been even steeper in the Chicago metra area. See the section titled "House Price Volatility" in the following PDF, and the accompanying graph (Figure 1):

http://igpa.uillinois.edu/system/fil...ousePrices.pdf

I think a lot of people are thinking it's still 2007.

And +1 by the way for the Fox River Valley, one of the loveliest parts of Illinois.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,312,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Train commute to where in Chicago? Where will he be working?
If you mean Metra, they all go to Union Station then you have to take the el, bus,taxi, or walk depending on where it is.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,312,873 times
Quote:
I'd suggest two places to look at out here in the western suburbs would be Bolingbrook or Aurora. Be sure to do your homework and make sure the area you're looking at is acceptable to you from a crime perspective ... there are active gangs in both communities but given where you've been living they're likely to seem pretty tame to you.
Gangs are much more dominant in Aurora then Bolingbrook. Plus Bolingbrook PD has a much smaller population and easier grid to work with.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM

28,384 posts, read 68,046,709 times
Default Wrong use of data...

I have seen Prof. McMillian's research and while it is mostly accurate in explaining how / why declines in the market value of residential property in Illinois may exhibit signficant lag in the revenues to units of governent that rely on those revenues it is NOT a good reference for a hypothesis of desirable housing in the region declining at faster than the national average.

The data in that report comes from the well known Case-Schiller Index. The difficulty with that instrument is that is SPECIFICALLY atttempts to exclude properties that have been improved. In the case of desirable homes in the region this methodoogy is not valid. A tremendous number of communities within the region are "built out" and the phenonoma of "tear downs" remains commonplace. By specifically excluding such sales from the data the index has a bias toward tracking the sales of the unimproved properties which undoubtedly grow less attractive by comparision to their shiny new neighbors...

This is important because unlike other "boom" areas that experienced a great deal of "new development" the development pattterns for much of he region that is "rail centriic" remains far more expensive then the "bust belt" of failed expansionary suburban mega builders...

Quote:
I don't know if this was true in 2007 at the height of the housing market, but house prices are down 11.7% since them across the USA, and the decline has been even steeper in the Chicago metra area. See the section titled "House Price Volatility" in the following PDF, and the accompanying graph (Figure 1):

http://igpa.uillinois.edu/system/fil...ousePrices.pdf

I think a lot of people are thinking it's still 2007.

And +1 by the way for the Fox River Valley, one of the loveliest parts of Illinois.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM

495 posts, read 573,476 times
If I were to live in Bolingbrook or Aurora, I would try to live in an area covered by the Naperville school districts 203 or 204, because the Bolingbrook and Aurora districts are pretty subpar, if not completely terrible.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM

This is all good info folks! And those arguing over real estate statistics, there is no need to debate theory and math; just go to Trulia.com and search 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, condo/townhouse/single family home and you will find literally dozens of listings under 100,000 in all three of the most recently discussed suburbs (Bolingbrook, Aurora, Elgin). So I am definitely focusing on this area in my husband's job search this year.

I think I am slowly figuring out the futility of asking most other people if there is $100K housing in a certain area because for some reason a lot of homes I consider perfectly fine would not even be under consideration by most people. It's funny how relative a term like "desirable" can be when your only other option is raising your kids in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment near a homeless hangout for $2600 a month and building zero equity in the process!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,543,099 times
Personally I would take a pass on those 3 suburbs. Here is a condo listing in wheaton that is not far from your price range. the unit is older but has three bedrooms and looks to be in good condition. this is right down the street from where I live. good area great schools no crime, great restaurants and shopping good transportation great parks and pools greenspace all around for the kids. i would rather live in a cheaper abode in a better suburb with a good school district with no gang or crime problems than get something bigger in an iffy area.

1479 S COUNTY FARM RD, UNIT 2-3, WHEATON IL 60189 - Wheaton Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs