Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 AM

7 posts, read 35,420 times

Advertisements

My and my husband have two kids, and currently live near the downtown area of chicago. We are planning to move to the south suburbs due to a job offer my husband has recieved. We were thinking about buying a house in Hazel Crest. can anyone tell me about the schools, shopping, etc?

Please, i do not want to hear anything like ''don't move there! There are BLACK PEOPLE! (gasp!).

I need honest ( non racist or biased ) opinions please.

Information on things like taxes will be good as well.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Hazel crest is alright, crime is not high and homes are reasonable. The area around 175th & Kedzie have nice homes. Its a small village, so its not a shopping area like Orland & Tinley Park. For schools, every school there is elementary. Check this site for information on Illinois schools
Interactive Illinois Report Card

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
I would not recommend Hazel Crest. I'd go for Country Club Hills, Tinley Park, or Olympia Fields (if you have the money) DM me for more details

Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I would not recommend Hazel Crest. I'd go for Country Club Hills, Tinley Park, or Olympia Fields (if you have the money) DM me for more details
I think CCH is a level above Hazel Crest too. Tinley Park is in whole different league. The worst part of HC is by Markham borders. The rest of the village is alright.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
I know people who live in HC and are content. But the problem is the schools. I would recommend Homewood for reasonable house pricing and good schools. Homewood also is a friendly area with strong community focus, cute shops, walkability, comprehensive park programs and events, as well as an exellent library.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 35,420 times
For those of you who
think moving to HC is a bad idea, can you tell me exactly why?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
Almost all Hazel Crest residents attend Hillcrest High School in Country Club Hills. Not so good.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
The schools are the #1 reason. Why live in a mediocre school district and you can have so much better a few miles away in HF? I'll liken it to icecream. Yeah, for $2.00 I can have a plain vanilla cone that will satisfy the craving for ice cream. BUT, if I have the chance to pay the same $2.00 or even $2.20 and get 3 toppings, a special cone, and a cherry on top, that's what I'll do!!! Hazel Crest V. Homewood.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think CCH is a level above Hazel Crest too. Tinley Park is in whole different league. The worst part of HC is by Markham borders. The rest of the village is alright.
I totally agree. STAY AWAY from Markham borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Almost all Hazel Crest residents attend Hillcrest High School in Country Club Hills. Not so good.
It's not the city of Country Club Hills. It's the people who are dropped off on "grandma's" doorstep each Monday, and picked up on Friday. I live here, so I know.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I totally agree. STAY AWAY from Markham borders.

It's not the city of Country Club Hills. It's the people who are dropped off on "grandma's" doorstep each Monday, and picked up on Friday. I live here, so I know.

You mean many of them come from rougher burbs or the city. When I went to Thornton in Harvey,some of the students lived in Englewood and Roseland(aka wild 100s) in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs