Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 42,288 times

Advertisements

I have posted one thread before about the Chicago suburbs. Now I have another question about pets. We are moving from Phoenix, AZ to Chicago area and we have a cat. The entire moving trip will probably take four days. We don't have any experience in moving with pets, so we are looking for any tips/ideas from those who have such experience. We want to make everything as easy/convenient as possible. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

438 posts, read 1,695,169 times
I would just get rid of the cat

Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
I would just get rid of the cat
If you want to say things like this one above, please save your time and don't post anything. We are looking for tips/ideas and this is simply not one.
If someone is moving with kids and asking for ideas, would you tell them to get rid of the kids???
If you spend $2000 on a pet, maybe you can stop talking out of your a**.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkz View Post
If someone is moving with kids and asking for ideas, would you tell them to get rid of the kids???
Probably

Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,404,010 times
4 days is tricky, could somebody in AZ hold the cat until your in IL, then fly it to you? I've moved with my cats but it was only 2 days and stressed the hell out of them. Not fun.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
4 days is tricky, could somebody in AZ hold the cat until your in IL, then fly it to you? I've moved with my cats but it was only 2 days and stressed the hell out of them. Not fun.
Thanks! That is always an option because it's 4 days vs. 4 hours.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Seriously though I was just joking around...good luck with your move!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,211,553 times
Did you post the question on the Pets Forum of City-Data? Might be a good place for answers as well.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Did you post the question on the Pets Forum of City-Data? Might be a good place for answers as well.
Thanks! I will do that then.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,145,442 times
I moved a lot with pets. I had a cat that loved to ride in the car more than the dog. I've also had a cat who hated the car and was very vocal about her unhappiness. I gave her a tiny taste of a tranquilizer which made her very mellow and not as vocal.. but I only had a 10 hour drive. And some pets get car sick. What you can do harden her to riding is take her for long ride say 30 minutes and make sure the windows are open a bit - not enough that she can jump out - and let her explore the car.

Do not do this immediately after she just ate.

Generally speaking 5-6 hours in a car is all most cats tolerate well. Make sure her litter box is in the car and accessible. And watever you do start her on bottled water only at least a week before the trip and no other water or other brand of water until you reach your final destination.
Cats, dogs and humans can get diarrhea and upset stomachs from a change of water. If she has has the same water Montezuma's Revenge will not visit her.

She will be great in the motel. She will investigate, hop in bed and sleep all night. Take her toys too.

When it comes to you aand dh eating out, if she is okay at home alone, she will be okay at the motel because she has her dish, toys, water bowl and litter box. She also has your smell in clothes, shoes, etc.. If you do not trust her then she must be crated while you are gone,

Some of the things you should do the week leave is get her records from her Vet, an examination, all shots due, have her groomed and her nails trimmed before you embark because you do not want her to shred that pretty motel spread you wish you had. Cats do not scratch on the sofa "to sharpen claws". They claw because they have the cat equivilent of a human hangnail. It hurts.

When we traveled everything that was hers and familar from food to favorite toy was brought into the motel with us. One other thing, make sure housekeeping does NOT enter YOUR ROOM for any reason. Then you can go to breakfast and be sure your cat is safe in the motel.

When you go out to eat at night leave the TV and a light on if that is what she is a ccustomed to. In other words make your trip as comfortable and as normal for your cat as if she were home. Moving is a big stress to animals not used to traveling as it upsets their routing.

Start now with several kitty trips every day. Extend them a few minutes longer every day. By the time you leave she will be seasoned traveler. And if you are really lucky she will enjoy it and not complain for 2000 miles. Animals fly in the cargo hold. In the winter it very cold when the plane is 35.000 milrd up. Summers are worse because you don't know how long a plane will actually set on a tarmac after it is loaded.

Most animals who have loving patient parents travel well. On the other hand there are some pets who just cannot.because they are too frightened/too nervous/too motion sick/too? Talk to your Vet as he can make recommendations..

Just my two cents....

S

Last edited by linicx; 01-05-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs