U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM

14 posts, read 31,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have always loved looking at homes for sale online, and recently, I began getting the urge to buy one. I don't make a lot of money, but the online mortgage calculators say that I could afford ~$75,000. Much to my surprise, there are actually townhomes in Romeoville and Bolingbrook that I could afford.

I currently live in Frankfort and work in Orland Park. I live with family, so I don't pay rent and have been able to save up a decent amount of money, but I would probably do FHA and only put down a minimum so that I would have enough funds for an emergency. I would also try to get a roommate to help pay down the mortgage more quickly

I don't know much about Romeoville, but I have a friend who lives in Bolingbrook and it seems nice. I know that there are areas that are not good (Fernwood Drive off of Lily Cache Ln and Beaconridge), but everywhere I have been seems fine.

I like a number of townhomes in Romeoville because the monthly assessment is really low. Are there any areas that should be avoided? Could I even find a roommate out there?

So, folks, am I out of my mind? I do need to move out eventually, and it seems like a waste to rent when I could pay around the same amount and own.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
Bolingbrook and Romeoville are actually nice for the most part. Pretty affordable housing options as well. As for the bad area of BB at Beaconridge, its not the best area but its really the only "bad" area of Bolingbrook. You also have 355/55/80 pretty close by. The only issue is watch out for property taxes they can get crazy in parts of Will County.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 AM

5,970 posts, read 2,788,739 times
75k seems cheap for a TH. If u do get a TH I would definitely get a roomie and have them pay ya 500 bucks all inclusive deal (rent electric cable etc). That way you are getting help with your mortgage/bills and yur buddy is getting a steal. Help eachother out! Where can someone live for 500 bucks a month and have use of kitchen, bathroom, laundry etc?

I had roomates for three years, lived alone for two and am back to having a roomie. It is just too expensive to live on yur own these days.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 AM

587 posts, read 1,481,312 times
Matty, Bolingbrook isn't horrible but there there are more "less desirable" areas than just Beaconridge. Aka_anon give me an idea of what areas you are looking at in Bolingbrook and I can give you the pros/cons.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Matty, Bolingbrook isn't horrible but there there are more "less desirable" areas than just Beaconridge. Aka_anon give me an idea of what areas you are looking at in Bolingbrook and I can give you the pros/cons.
Honestly, I'm kind of all over the place. I'm just in the beginning stages of looking, so all I've done so far is online browsing. Here are some of the properties that I like:

Multiplottr.com -- Plot, save and share multiple locations on your own customized maps.

Of course, Bolingbrook and Romeoville are only two options - another is Tinley Park, though I would only be able to get a condo there. After considering it, I realize that what I really want is something within commuting distance of Orland Park and within the Metra area of Chicago.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Not really, I grew up in Bolingbrook and the "less desireable" areas still aren't that bad, people just tend to believe what they hear from others and BB often gets put in Naperville's shadow.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM

As a Bolingbrook Police Officer I'm probably more tuned in to what actually is going on besides what is reported in the paper, etc. The budget he is giving would typically get you into the Winston Village area, Hywood, Fernwood, Sundance or the Oaks. Given that the OP lives in Frankfort I would just be guessing (but could be wrong) that this is not the type of housing that would appeal to him.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
As a Bolingbrook Police Officer I'm probably more tuned in to what actually is going on besides what is reported in the paper, etc. The budget he is giving would typically get you into the Winston Village area, Hywood, Fernwood, Sundance or the Oaks. Given that the OP lives in Frankfort I would just be guessing (but could be wrong) that this is not the type of housing that would appeal to him.
I looked at the townhomes I liked and sure enough, they were in those areas. I would have to see for myself whether or not I felt comfortable around there, but I will definitely keep your thoughts in mind.

What about areas to avoid that have houses rather than townhomes- where would they be? Here are a few that looked promising
Multiplottr.com -- Plot, save and share multiple locations on your own customized maps.

It seems like in past topics, many posters have said that the "nice" area of Bolingbrook is west of Weber Rd. As I said earlier, I have a friend who lives in Bolingbrook (one of the medieval sounding street names - (i.e. Castle, Lancelot, etc) and her area is on the east side of town and it seems fine.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Feel free to contact me via PM and I'll help you with your questions the best I can. That way I'll know for sure what it is you're looking for in terms of house, general feel of the neighborhood and things of that nature. As a very general rule, yes west of Weber is more preferred. What is deemed as desirable neighborhood for one person might not be the same for someone else, so knowing what you're looking for will help.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_anon View Post
I looked at the townhomes I liked and sure enough, they were in those areas. I would have to see for myself whether or not I felt comfortable around there, but I will definitely keep your thoughts in mind.

What about areas to avoid that have houses rather than townhomes- where would they be? Here are a few that looked promising

It seems like in past topics, many posters have said that the "nice" area of Bolingbrook is west of Weber Rd. As I said earlier, I have a friend who lives in Bolingbrook (one of the medieval sounding street names - (i.e. Castle, Lancelot, etc) and her area is on the east side of town and it seems fine.

West of Weber removes pretty much most of BB lol. There are tons of nice properties east of Weber like the housing by Johansen Farms or 53 and Briarcliff, its just depends on what your idea of nice is I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs