U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 PM

21 posts, read 25,444 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of your insight . I will be sure to read all of this great information to my husband. We come from a small town where every one knows everyone and there is little to no crime. Our town is mostly made up of whites so diversity will be great. So we are definitely looking to expand our horizons little by little.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Pets

One more thing my friends , is Oak Park pet friendly ?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,645,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoboshky View Post
One more thing my friends , is Oak Park pet friendly ?
Yes it is. There are no roving death squads looking to kill innocent pets if that's what you're asking.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM

No I wasnt asking if there were "Death squads killing animals" I mean apartment
friendly .

Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 PM

21,616 posts, read 36,683,059 times
Default Given fairly unspecific desires...

Quote:
We have no children and are just looking for an apartment in a nice area. We love to just spend a few hours at a small cafe talking or a stroll in a park .
Honestly it would probably be easier to find a pet friendly apartment with good access to "places to stroll" in Brookfield,Berkely, Hillside, Westchester, Berwyn, North Riverside, Westmont, Willowbrook, Lombard or Villa Park. Any of those towns is probably a shorter commute to Oak Brook, and cheaper too....

It is not so much that I am opposed to Oak Park but that it supposed "charms" come with lots of traffic, crummy parking, and often bizarro recommendations from their outmoded "Housing Authority"...

Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,645,653 times
Quote:
No I wasnt asking if there were "Death squads killing animals" I mean apartment
friendly .
Ah. Well it will vary from building to building, just like anywhere. I'm not familiar with any resource listing the percentage of rentals in a given community that accepts pets.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly it would probably be easier to find a pet friendly apartment with good access to "places to stroll" in Brookfield,Berkely, Hillside, Westchester, Berwyn, North Riverside, Westmont, Willowbrook, Lombard or Villa Park. Any of those towns is probably a shorter commute to Oak Brook, and cheaper too....

It is not so much that I am opposed to Oak Park but that it supposed "charms" come with lots of traffic, crummy parking, and often bizarro recommendations from their outmoded "Housing Authority"...
I can't believe you would actually recommend Hillside and North Riverside as having a place to stroll. A stroll in Hillside? By the garbage dump that borders the Ike?

Every town you listed is indeed closer to Oak Brook, and has much less to offer than Oak Park. Not even in the same ballpark...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 AM

10,848 posts, read 15,003,530 times
The regional housing center can answer all your questions. you will find your cafe/restaurant and walkable parks too. Call them. Send them an email. It is important to find out the earliest you can moved. It could 6-8 weeks. There are no really tiny towns in Chicago or OP or Oak Brook. Don't forget to take your pooper scooper and bag when you walk you dog. If you are lucky you might find a place with a dog friendly yard or nearby pet friendly park.

OP is a Village of about 60,000. It has most of the city conveniences including Trader Joe's, hospital, train, bus, limo, taxi and zipcar. If you want something really small you may have to West on the Ike quite a while and look for tiny towns around Sandwich, IL.The downside is finding a place to rent and the distance to work. It's a trade-off. If you lived nearly anywhere else in Illinois you would not have the same set of problems.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 AM

909 posts, read 756,483 times
Quote:

Sometimes towns are cheaper for good reason, but I would much rather deal with oak park traffic and the crummy parking, which are really non-issues for me, and gain everything else there, than go for one of those other towns for the sake of good parking. One has a choice not to deal with the housing authority if one doesn't like it... No one is putting a gun to someone's head and saying they must use them. I'm sure there are systems and departments in every other town that have outmoded elements. The traffic, parking and opha aren't even sacrifices IMO, more like occasional announces (though I've personally never had a parking issue in op, nor have I been stuck in anything I'd consider a traffic jam) that are easily forgettable considering the things gained that actually matter.

My advice to the op would be to live near oak park ave and lake st. You'll have coffee shops, eateries, entertainment, shops, a park, all at your door step.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 AM

5,248 posts, read 8,203,136 times
Quote:

Speaking of bizzarro recommendations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs