Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bru!

I think the model that he and others that are active in promoting the virtues of places like Berwyn are to be applauded / emulated.

I feel the same way about the efforts to make DesPlaines more attractive in the NW corridor. I feel bad for some co-workers in places like Bellwood where they got on the "make over" bandwagon a little late and their town in now just too bleak to recommend...

And for the record when I make recommendations to folks with school age children looking to relocate the main reason I recommend towns with schools that are currently well regarded is that I know how important it is for parents in such a situation to have good schools from day one. For those with the time to investigate the options and perhaps even get involved with improving schools I believe that they should cast a wider net...

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thanks Bru!

I think the model that he and others that are active in promoting the virtues of places like Berwyn are to be applauded / emulated.

I feel the same way about the efforts to make DesPlaines more attractive in the NW corridor. I feel bad for some co-workers in places like Bellwood where they got on the "make over" bandwagon a little late and their town in now just too bleak to recommend...

And for the record when I make recommendations to folks with school age children looking to relocate the main reason I recommend towns with schools that are currently well regarded is that I know how important it is for parents in such a situation to have good schools from day one. For those with the time to investigate the options and perhaps even get involved with improving schools I believe that they should cast a wider net...
Schools create a tough situation for many communities. The schools won't get better without an influx of the middle class and the schools won't get an influx of middle class unless they get better. So....

Fortunately, there is hope. It just takes a few concerned parents to take a chance on the schools, get involved and things will turn around. Nettelhorst in Lakeview is a classic example. Compare the test scores from 2002 to 2011. It's astonishing. It went from 40% pass to 89% pass. There's even a book about it, called "How to Walk to School."

Illinois Interactive Report Card

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
All those towns have parks that are perfectly fine for taking a walk with a little dog. The OP did not mention anything about any special desire / need for diversity or anything else that would make Oak Park a better choice.
Please re-read posting #21, where Shobosky says:
We come from a small town where every one knows everyone and there is little to no crime. Our town is mostly made up of whites so diversity will be great. So we are definitely looking to expand our horizons little by little.

Looks to me like they are asking for a little diversity. Tell me again why you're pointing them to Hillside?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Quote:
Folks that deny this simply do not acknowledge reality. Further, folks that encourage more people to engage in this sort of a car centric commute make the problem worse...
Yeah, but living a suburban life pretty much means being "car centric", unless you live in a place that's both highly walkable and and is served by great public transport... and still...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Please re-read posting #21, where Shobosky says:
We come from a small town where every one knows everyone and there is little to no crime. Our town is mostly made up of whites so diversity will be great. So we are definitely looking to expand our horizons little by little.

Looks to me like they are asking for a little diversity. Tell me again why you're pointing them to Hillside?
Maybe because Hillside is majority black? And if they're from a small town with little crime, they should probably make sure they always go out together.

- The Doings Oak Brook

Police Warn of Pattern of Armed Robberies in Oak Park (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/crime/oak-park-armed-robberies-battery-police-warning-pattern-connected-20110801 - broken link)

Police warn Green Line riders of armed robberies | News | OakPark.com

Who knew, apparently you can be a crime victim even if you're not involved with gangs and drugs.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM

21 posts, read 46,114 times
[quote=prairiestate;22574441]Maybe because Hillside is majority black? And if they're from a small town with little crime, they should probably make sure they always go out together.

Im not sure what you mean by this ?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Maybe because Hillside is majority black? And if they're from a small town with little crime, they should probably make sure they always go out together.
Hillside is 46% black. Hillside has NO racial majority and it's pretty diverse. Even if it was 55% black, I would find it interesting that you'd think it was majority black before looking at the stats.

Last edited by urza216; 01-17-2012 at 02:48 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
[quote=Shoboshky;22576098]
Quote:

Hillside was recommended because it's diverse.

and

People from small towns should be aware Oak Park is effectively a big city neighborhood and be cautious. Especially at the moment, there seems to have been quite a rash of robberies over the past year.

and

Majority means over 50%, so I think I was pretty close if the actual number is 46%.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM

121 posts, read 216,656 times
[quote=Shoboshky;22576098]
Quote:

Exactly.

If the OPs hometown is majority white (and they themselves are white), being in a majority black suburb is diversity. But of course, "diversity" to some people = a sprinkle here and there.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 46,114 times
We have lived in Fort Myers Fl for about 3 months now very diverse and we found out that we are moving to IL . So we have been living in a diverse place but haven't really gotten to explore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs