U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,154 times
Smile Moving to Mount Prospect Area...HELP!

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are relocating from London, UK (Americans though) to the Mount Prospect area. We want to buy a house soon but want to know the right city to buy in, we'll probably get something temporary in Mount Prospect. Any thoughts or ideas? What is the ask price to sale price discount in the home market currently? Is it a safe area with nice people!?

Any thoughts much appreciated, all the best!!

P & A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM

905 posts, read 509,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGray8 View Post
Hi everyone!

My wife and I are relocating from London, UK (Americans though) to the Mount Prospect area. We want to buy a house soon but want to know the right city to buy in, we'll probably get something temporary in Mount Prospect. Any thoughts or ideas? What is the ask price to sale price discount in the home market currently? Is it a safe area with nice people!?

Any thoughts much appreciated, all the best!!

P & A
The area is safe and very nice, very good schools too.
What is your budget and requirements?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks! We have been doing a lot of research but were hoping to get some insights on how the neighbors would be and if it`s safe.

We are looking in the $275k range for homes. It seems there is a lot of inventory on the market so we are hoping to get a good deal and go in agressively, we have mortgage pre-approval so supposedly that helps us.

Any tips on areas to look or spots to avoid? We want to avoid being buying somewhere that's figuratively "on the wrong side of the tracks."

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,348,344 times
We sold a home in Arlington Heights last year. It was on market 5 days.
It was priced right and had lot's of traffic in those few days.

I think is was due to a decent product for the price in a nice, safe well established neighborhood. It was within 1 mile of downtown AH and was in the Hersey school district.

When we bought it four years prior, we were told that was a good school district to buy in. There is always some demand at resale time.

It was a nice place to live for the four years we were there. East of Wilke, west of AH road, north of NW hwy and south of Palatine Road. Pretty well kept up homes and a cool location.

AH puts on a great 4th of July parade and party.

In general, I believe northern AH and Mt P are considered "nicer" than southern parts of those towns close to Interstate. More multifamily to south.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks! We have been doing a lot of research but were hoping to get some insights on how the neighbors would be and if it`s safe.

We are looking in the $275k range for homes. It seems there is a lot of inventory on the market so we are hoping to get a good deal and go in agressively, we have mortgage pre-approval so supposedly that helps us.

Any tips on areas to look or spots to avoid? We want to avoid being buying somewhere that's figuratively "on the wrong side of the tracks."
Northern parts of Mount Prospect as well as Arlington Hts are better IMHO. What are you looking at homes? Basement/No basement, Newer/Older, how many bedrooms/bathrooms...?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks, that's helpful advice on the North.

Looking for a house, indifferent on basement though finished or potential to finish would be nice. No less than 3 bedrooms and 2+ bath. Would like a yard and looking at newer homes (30 years or less, ideally closer to 15).

I also hear that Glenview has access to great schools...

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

5,436 posts, read 6,009,169 times
Look for homes in Elementary districts 25, 57 or 23 that then go to Hersey or Prospect high schools.
Wheeling, Rolling Meadows and Buffalo Grove are also good high schools but IMO Hersey and Prospect are a step above. If your kids are in band or orchestra then D23/Hersey is way to go. D23 has a great orchestra and band program-better than some high schools!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM

18,515 posts, read 13,253,684 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful advice on the North.

Looking for a house, indifferent on basement though finished or potential to finish would be nice. No less than 3 bedrooms and 2+ bath. Would like a yard and looking at newer homes (30 years or less, ideally closer to 15).

I also hear that Glenview has access to great schools...
Very challenging to find a "newer" 3/2 single family home at your price point in your target areas, including Glenview.

Most of the single family housing stock at this price point is about 45+/- years old.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Very challenging to find a "newer" 3/2 single family home at your price point in your target areas, including Glenview.

Most of the single family housing stock at this price point is about 45+/- years old.
True, especially for Glenview. But if OP is OK with a little bit older housing (built in 50's and 60's) there will be plenty available in this price range.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Open to older houses and think I have concluded it's a must. We are looking up to $300k and there seems to be a lot of good inventory in the area. How do i know what the good school districts are?

How are the Metra/rail connections from Mt. Prospect and AH into downtown if one of us will be working there? is it manageable as a daily commute?

Anyone know any good agressive RE agents? the guy we've been talking to is slow and we've been doing a lot of work, he's too reactive for me.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs