Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:43 PM

21 posts, read 47,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Although Rosemont is not yet awash in as much excess office space as some towns, the strong desires of "the young & the hip" to be able to take an El directly from their well paying, non-demanding "job" to some dive bar where they can suck down PBRs gives a huge advantage to the office tower landlords of the Loop...
So... no overnight parking at cta stations then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drackoe View Post
So I was just offered a position at large corporation with HQ in Rosemont. Pay is low 6 figures, and it looks like a great gig. The hours don't seem ridiculously onerous (8-6) and the general counsel seems to really like me, to the tune of hinting an immediate management role was in my future should I accept. Everything is greenlight except...

I'm worried about the commute. I'm not from Chicago, and not particularly familiar. However, I feel like if I'm going to move to a big metro, I want to live in the city. Is that feasible if I have to work in Rosemont? Can I live a cool neighborhood, say... Wicker Park, Logan Square or Wrigleyville and commute in under 30-40 minutes?

I'm skeptical, but thoughts?
OK, cut to the chase. Where do you work and live right now? Do you like it? How much more $ does this opportunity provide and how much better future potential & job happiness?
For low 6 figures, I can be inconvenienced by living in a nearby suburb or a commute from the city to Rosemont. If that is your main problem in life (an extra 20 minutes commute each way) than life is VERY good.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
The majority of CTA stations have no parking. The Cumberland stop is an exception, with an large parking lot. The lot charges $12 for "each additional 24 hours or fraction thereof"... Deprecated Browser Error

Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 AM

185 posts, read 594,588 times
Quote:
My office is about a mile from the rosemont station. Is leaving a car at one of the stations and driving that last mile an option?
Before you go to that extreme, there are a number of suburban bus routes that serve the Rosemont station. Large hoards of people transfer to/from the buses there every morning and afternoon. The suburban bus system, Pace, accepts CTA transfers, monthly passes, and premium-priced weekly passes, so it won't cost you much more than just taking the train.

Since you won't say where your work is located, I can't tell you if there is a specific bus that works for you, but you can consult this map to see for yourself:
CTA Online System Map - Northwest

If a bus goes by where you are working, I think that would be more sensible than buying a car and paying to park it. Buses routes numbered 208 and up are operated by the suburban bus agency Pace and you can find schedules and more details here:
Pace Bus - Bus Schedules and Maps

Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
Before you go to that extreme, there are a number of suburban bus routes that serve the Rosemont station. Large hoards of people transfer to/from the buses there every morning and afternoon. The suburban bus system, Pace, accepts CTA transfers, monthly passes, and premium-priced weekly passes, so it won't cost you much more than just taking the train.

Since you won't say where your work is located, I can't tell you if there is a specific bus that works for you, but you can consult this map to see for yourself:
CTA Online System Map - Northwest

If a bus goes by where you are working, I think that would be more sensible than buying a car and paying to park it. Buses routes numbered 208 and up are operated by the suburban bus agency Pace and you can find schedules and more details here:
Pace Bus - Bus Schedules and Maps
By more sensible, do you mean cheaper? Generally speaking, money would not be a concern for me. My biggest concern is avoiding a mind numbing commute.

I've looked at the Pace before, and the first stop off the 230 would put me about a quarter mile from the office. But I feel like it would take appreciably longer than just driving considering the wait may be variable.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM

185 posts, read 594,588 times
Quote:
By more sensible, do you mean cheaper? Generally speaking, money would not be a concern for me. My biggest concern is avoiding a mind numbing commute.

I've looked at the Pace before, and the first stop off the 230 would put me about a quarter mile from the office. But I feel like it would take appreciably longer than just driving considering the wait may be variable.
Yes, I was thinking of the costs.

If money is not a major concern, as Chet pointed out, overnight parking is allowed at the Cumberland 'L' station. There is a $129 monthly parking pass. I don't know if there is a limit on the availability of passes -- the web site indicates that there are a limited number of reserved spaces for monthly pass holders but that doesn't mean there is a limited number of passes for people willing to use unreserved spaces. In any case, since you will be reverse-commuting, finding a space will not be a problem. Plus you have to add in the cost of buying a car, licensing, insurance, gas, maintenance. On the other hand, having a car available means you can go out for lunch, run errands during the day, do work-related things (go to Kinko's, visit clients, pick up mail), and so on. Call (888) 578-PARK for parking information.

Cumberland is the Blue Line stop before Rosemont. There is a three-story parking garage there.

One other option: there is always a line of taxis waiting at the Rosemont station. For the return trip, however, you'd have to call and wait for a cab to pick you up.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default The majority view vs ....

If you are like the 99.44% of commuters that are less "politically correct" than the crowd that some online fora attract (cough, cough) you would be wise to plan on using your nice salary to make for a comfortably short drive to work / home and PERHAPS plan on living in some part of Chicago or a close-in suburb that is close enough to public transit so that you can "hang one on" without fear of having a DUI on your record.

With that kind of a "hybrid" lifestyle you could easily drive in from someplace like Edison Park, park your car at a safe spot at home, hop on the CTA to your favorite hipster rave, ride the CTA back home in some vampire like state, catch a few winks, motor into the office and repeat indefinately.

I know this is not the "ideal" of having a tiny carbon footprint and living right over some PBR serving bar with a 4AM license, but somehow if I was your age and had a six figure income hanging out with art students in skinny jeans would not beat out having heated leather seats / steering wheel for my drive in...

Quote:
... money would not be a concern for me. My biggest concern is avoiding a mind numbing commute.
But I feel like it would take appreciably longer than just driving considering the wait may be variable.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,290 times
So the moral of the story is this...If you want to be close to nightlife and many entertainment options you are a young hipster who demands PBR at 4am bars all while not holding a real job.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
Quote:
If you are like the 99.44% of commuters that are less "politically correct" than the crowd that some online fora attract (cough, cough) you would be wise to plan on using your nice salary to make for a comfortably short drive to work / home and PERHAPS plan on living in some part of Chicago or a close-in suburb that is close enough to public transit so that you can "hang one on" without fear of having a DUI on your record.

With that kind of a "hybrid" lifestyle you could easily drive in from someplace like Edison Park, park your car at a safe spot at home, hop on the CTA to your favorite hipster rave, ride the CTA back home in some vampire like state, catch a few winks, motor into the office and repeat indefinately.

I know this is not the "ideal" of having a tiny carbon footprint and living right over some PBR serving bar with a 4AM license, but somehow if I was your age and had a six figure income hanging out with art students in skinny jeans would not beat out having heated leather seats / steering wheel for my drive in...
Gee Chet, way to give a fair and balanced view of city living. I'm sure everyone appreciates your moral disapproval of the young urban lifestyle.

FWIW, there are a lot of high-income non-hipsters who live in Wicker Park. Who do you think buys all the million dollar+ houses in the neighborhood?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Chet, maybe you don't understand this, but leather seats just don't feel comfortable when you're in skinny jeans and/or corduroy. Otherwise, yeah, but I prefer Duvel over PBR.

Look, if I were like 40 and ready to "give up" I'd be more than happy to settle in Des Plains or Edison Park and call it a day, but I'm not and hipster chicks are hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs