U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM

4,020 posts, read 4,177,193 times
It's like Chet always says. All the "suburban job centers" are out west or up north. There just aren't very many white collar jobs in the south and southwest suburbs. These ridiculous commutes make the southland undesirable. So undesirable that even if you work out here, you shouldn't move here. You should move next to the suburban job centers in the western suburbs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM

21,478 posts, read 35,534,747 times
I sorta agree with the sad reality of urza's comments, BUT I do recall that beside this OP there have been a handful of other requests for folks with jobs in the Glenwood area. Seems to me that MAYBE if the geniuses in the state legislature that throw money at Sears to stay in Hoffman Estates would be more responsible in making the state budget more attractive to business and treat the businesses that do seem to once in a while attract some out of state employees more fairly there would be more thriving businesses in the whole region...

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM

4,020 posts, read 4,177,193 times
By the way, my last post was purely sarcastic. I would have put the eye rolling emoticon but I don't know if I can from my phone.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM

21,478 posts, read 35,534,747 times
I gathered you were attempting something like humor, however I am serious. The decisions that the politicians that dunderheaded voters keep re-electing are hurting Illinois, and hurting southsiders much more than elsewhere.

I suspect the distraction of "the third ariport" is still the biggest political issue for southsiders, but they'd do much better trying to get some more innovation into the problems that are more pressing -- schools that are underperforming are pulling the area down, transit options are not up to the same standards as other areas, not enough good paying jobs...

Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,704,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Perhaps. But then again a parent who cannot contemplate coaching a kids team, going to games, is too tired to be actively involved, may have good intentions with unintended results.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. What kids need and want is their parents' time.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,821,524 times
Totally good points and I should not have missed your facts that a kid needs good quality time with their kids.

I think for alot of people just the simple acts of throwing catch with your dad in the back yard meant more than catch ing and throwing the ball.

At any rate it would take a lot of money to compete with the likes of the I 88 cooridor in the s. burbs. however there is infrastracture in place to be very competitive.

Just keep in mind the word logistics.
The West Burbs are missing a big lake called Lake Michigan along with access to a few of the major north south interestates namesly Interstate 55 and Interstate 57. This coupled with rail terminals can be the ignition for future growth.

Yeah the Chicago area has some issues but this area has an uncanny way to morph and bounce back after hard times.

I sure wouldnt bet on the Chicago Metro folding up and calling it quits anytime soon.

The whole area is too rich in naturall resources and human capital.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM

162 posts, read 289,364 times
We live in Aurora on the Naperville border and my husband commutes to the city via car every day. We are moving closer b/c while we know people do long commutes all the time, at the end of the day it's taking away from our family time. My husband actually doesn't mind the commute itself (a little NPR and some books on tape), but it's starting to get old that he isn't home until almost 7 p.m. and he only gets 1-2 hours a day with our kids. We're just thinking ahead to all the future school activities (our kids are only 1 and 3 right now) and the importance of being present in their lives on a daily basis. Just another perspective that isn't only about the actual commute. We would totally stay in the Naperville area as we have made great friends and there are so many family-friendly things to do here, but it just can't make up for time spent together.

I apologize if I missed the ages of your kid(s), but what happens if budget cuts take out Mandarin by the time they are ready to take advantage of it? I agree 100% about just doing the AP test vs. a total lifestyle change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs