Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 PM

50 posts, read 144,805 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to the Chicago area and really need help finding a neighborhood. I just got a new job in the city, but we want to live in the suburbs. It is important that it is within a 30 minute commute, whether by car, bus, train, etc. I want a safe community where I know my neighbors (unlike NYC where we live now). It either needs to have amazing public schools or a few private school options. I have 5 kids, so it is important that there are large houses with a decent amount of land (price is not really an issue). Thank you for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM

27 posts, read 48,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck96 View Post
I am moving my family to the Chicago area and really need help finding a neighborhood. I just got a new job in the city, but we want to live in the suburbs. It is important that it is within a 30 minute commute, whether by car, bus, train, etc. I want a safe community where I know my neighbors (unlike NYC where we live now). It either needs to have amazing public schools or a few private school options. I have 5 kids, so it is important that there are large houses with a decent amount of land (price is not really an issue). Thank you for any suggestions
ck96, in your other posts you are moving from LA to RI, than to KC, now from NY to Chi...all that in less than a year. How do you manage it?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM

50 posts, read 144,805 times
we lived in LA and were looking for places to move. a family emergency had us move temporarily to NY. we were originally looking in a bunch of places (KC and RI included), but due to my husband's new job, our location needs have changed. now do you have any suggestions??

Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
For a larger home with good access to excellent public schools, an under 30 minute commute and larger lots I would look first to Glencoe, Winnetka and then to Hinsdale. If your budget is not over $2.5M you probably won't get even a full acre lot, but there are some parcels that are still quite nice on the more compact lots.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
I was thinking Glenview near Metra in Glenbrook HS district.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Cool Hey man, when people say "cost no object"....

....you pretty much gotta shoot for the stars. In addition to better train service from the nor shore you get housing that shows up in magazines, better stuff all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I was thinking Glenview near Metra in Glenbrook HS district.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
....you pretty much gotta shoot for the stars. In addition to better train service from the nor shore you get housing that shows up in magazines, better stuff all around.
Good point. The cost not an issue has difficulty computing within my brain's reality
If cost not a factor and 30 minutes to downtown, I have always found Winnetka VERY nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs